AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Prototype82

I don't even care about interactive plants. Big whup. I really hope they aren't spending money on dumb stuff like that.
Really? It was such an iconic part of that film though. The first time Jake discovered this bioluminescent world was when he started getting his hands on it. I do think recreating this could be a selling point, especially when advertising this thing. If Avatarland has only one attraction, one restaurant, and shopping, then what else is going to make it stand out? An immersive environment. I think an interactive queue (Yes, I'm supporting them in this situation.) would really help reinforce the story in a one attraction land. An attraction within an attraction... Touching plants and having them glow, touching a surface and having a projected creature glow and fly off of it. Think of the holocrabs in Little Mermaid on steroids. Olivander's at Uni is so successful because it makes the story real for people.

FrankLapidus

You mean like Dinoland was before Chester and Hester hell popped up?

So you'd be happy if AvatarLAND amounted to no more than one ride, one shop and a restaurant? I hate the idea of Avatar altogether but even I would be pi**ed off if, after all the speculation, rumour and planning they've supposedly been doing, that was all it ended up being. It's going to take three more years to build one ride and a gift shop?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
So you'd be happy if AvatarLAND amounted to no more than one ride, one shop and a restaurant? I hate the idea of Avatar altogether but even I would be pi**ed off if, after all the speculation, rumour and planning they've supposedly been doing, that was all it ended up being. It's going to take three more years to build one ride and a gift shop?

I like the idea of Avatar and agree with your sentiment. It seems to be the Disney way with the Florida property. Plus, even if it is a mind-blowing e-ticket (much better than not being a mind-blowing e-ticket) I'd take it as another sign that they don't understand what each park needs. I sometimes get the impression none of the mucky mucks ever visit the actual parks.

Prototype82

If it's well done, yes. I don't revisit the Wizarding World because of its two re-themed rides. I visit it because it has a new ride that I actually like. Do I want Pandora to be a huge multi-attraction land? Of course I do. Desperately. I just don't have high hopes for it. I just think a well done attraction with a beautiful environment is loads better than the meet and greet area that is currently there.

BoarderPhreak

You mean like Dinoland was before Chester and Hester hell popped up?
Oh gawd. That whole corner is full of fail. I just recently called it the "what the heck do we do with this corner land." Not that what's there is done badly, per se - it's just... Huh? I mean, seriously. Dinosaurs, to kids - is like the best thing since sliced bread... And THIS is what they came up with?

Even the Dinosaur ride - they went to so much trouble to build the place, the surrounding area (entrance) and story line... And in the end it's nothing more than a dark ride jerkfest (as in motion of the vehicle).

Captain Chaos

ASIA: One ride: Kali River Rapids (before Everest), one walk through, one restaurant, small gift stands, Flights of Wonder show... no complaining
AFRICA: One ride (still only one ride!), one walk through, one restaurant, a bar, small stands... no complaining
DINOLAND one ride, one restaurant, one gift shop, one show (I'll put Nemo here for argument's sake).. no complaining (other than chester and hester's tackiness)
The Oasis: shops... no complaining
Tree of Life/Discovery Island: one attraction, one walk through.. no complaining
CMM: One show, meet and greets... no complaining...

Avatarland: no one knows what is planned for the area but let's go on those plans that leaked... one massive e-ticket ride, one c-ticket ride, a restaurant, and gift shop.. nothing but moaning, groaning, and complaining...

Color me crazy but seems like Avatarland would open with more in it that a few of the lands already in DAK...

Prototype82

ASIA: One ride: Kali River Rapids (before Everest), one walk through, one restaurant, small gift stands, Flights of Wonder show... no complaining
AFRICA: One ride (still only one ride!), one walk through, one restaurant, a bar, small stands... no complaining
DINOLAND one ride, one restaurant, one gift shop, one show (I'll put Nemo here for argument's sake).. no complaining (other than chester and hester's tackiness)
Tree of Life/Discovery Island: one attraction, one walk through.. no complaining

Avatarland: no one knows what is planned for the area but let's go on those plans that leaked... one massive e-ticket ride, one c-ticket ride, a restaurant, and gift shop.. nothing but moaning, groaning, and complaining...

Color me crazy but seems like Avatarland would open with more in it that a few of the lands already in DAK...
You hit the nail on the head...

FrankLapidus

That's going on the plans that were leaked, going by the latest rumours take out the c-ticket and in terms of rides you'll get the Soarin'-type one only.

You've made my point though, the park needs more rides. A multi-million dollar expansion that adds one simply isn't enough. According to the insiders, the most recent plan is one ride, one shop and, possibly, one dining, the boat ride is gone. I could care less about Avatar but if I did I would be disappointed to get a one-ride land in a park that is in desperate need of more attractions.

FrankLapidus

It is easy to poke holes in the haters' arguments because they are blinded by their hatred... :)

Calm down, I'm just making the point that one ride isn't enough to solve the problems at the park. Whether I like Avatar or not is irrelevant, if they announced a multi-million dollar expansion anywhere I would be just as disappointed if it did end up amounting to one attraction. This has nothing to do with my opinion of Avatar and everything to do with my opinion that Disney isn't doing enough at the parks.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

True, but DAK needs rides (which your post kind of points out). I've actually thought that a swinging vine ride that looks like the neural net tree thing that lights up at night would be a great addition to the land. A ride for the kiddies, pretty like the rest of DAK and another attraction that is a bit different than a spinner. Just a thought. I do think the Soarin' on steroids and the boat ride is a great start.

Prototype82

True, but DAK needs rides (which your post kind of points out). I've actually thought that a swinging vine ride that looks like the neural net tree thing that lights up at night would be a great addition to the land. A ride for the kiddies, pretty like the rest of DAK and another attraction that is a bit different than a spinner. Just a thought. I do think the Soarin' on steroids and the boat ride is a great start.
Part of me wonders if they're going to start small and expand if the sequels do well. Because unlike the Germany Pavilion and its forgotten Rhine River Cruise, phase two expansions are possible with franchises....

Captain Chaos

That's going on the plans that were leaked, going by the latest rumours take out the c-ticket and in terms of rides you'll get the Soarin'-type one only.

You've made my point though, the park needs more rides. A multi-million dollar expansion that adds one simply isn't enough. According to the insiders, the most recent plan is one ride, one shop and, possibly, one dining, the boat ride is gone. I could care less about Avatar but if I did I would be disappointed to get a one-ride land in a park that is in desperate need of more attractions.

No, the point being made is: you and your Avatar hating friends are complaining about the POSSIBILITY that the land may only include one ride, one restaurant, one shop while letting the fact that the other lands in DAK contain the same exact thing and not complaining about it...

And these same insiders, if you recall, swore Transformers was not going into SS44, that it was going to be a year round haunted house while those of us who AREN'T "insiders" knew from the start it was Transformers... Moral of the story: insiders are not always right, don't always have the correct information, and are often times used to dupe the online fan community and help promote one's agenda...

ctxak98

No offense to anyone here but when some people bash Dinosaur as being nothing more then a jerk fest you do know that it is intentional to be rough, dark, loud and sometime scary right!?

lets put everything into perspective:
1. its a ride that takes you back in time to see dinosaurs before the meteor hits
2. dinosaurs were not friendly(or so we think)
3. Meteor showers were most likely dangerous
4. We don't want to die by dinosaurs or meteors
5. ITS REALISTIC

seriously. Back then there weren't roads of pavement for vehicles to glide upon. Its jerky because you supposes to be going over rocks and boulders and logs during the middle of the night before the BIG METEOR hits the earth and we all die. If it wasn't fast and jerky it would seem lame people. NOW sorry for the off topic rant. I just really think Dinosaur is a very Unappreciated ride! What needs to change is the surrounding area!

Captain Chaos

Calm down, I'm just making the point that one ride isn't enough to solve the problems at the park. Whether I like Avatar or not is irrelevant, if they announced a multi-million dollar expansion anywhere I would be just as disappointed if it did end up amounting to one attraction. This has nothing to do with my opinion of Avatar and everything to do with my opinion that Disney isn't doing enough at the parks.
No one here is saying Avatar solves the problems DAK has... But it is a start... And your liking or not liking Avatar is relevant since you and your Avatar hating friends have been screaming from the mountaintops about how the movie sucks, it doesn't belong, it isn't popular, blah blah blah..

BTW whoever said Avatar is never referenced in any pop culture, well, I heard no less than 5 Avatar references in shows this past week, so I think Avatar has seeped into pop culture, even if just a little bit...

But, let's not group you in with others... You think Disney is not doing enough with their parks... Agreed.. But you also don't want them doing Avatar... Why? You claim they do nothing (or not enough), but here they are looking to do something, and you rather they do nothing...

Captain Chaos

And it is time to end the smoking nonsense once and for all Pixie... What do you say about this, a pipe smoking EWOK in a fanchise Disney just purchased and include in their theme parks? Guess no more Star Wars in WDW!!!!

tumblr_kv3622TenY1qzrlhgo1_500.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom