AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Prototype82

Or...maybe the wait time is a reflection of a lack of other interesting attractions at that park. Saying that a long wait time means it's a pinnacle of the ride experience is like saying...well...that Avatar was a pinnacle of a great movie because it made a lot of money.

Oh...wait...
I'm not saying long lines mean the pinnacle of ride experience because if they did, mission: space would have longer lines...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I wouldn't say boring. Just because you find it a boring half day park doesn't mean that many, many others do. I agree, it could use a lot more attention and expansion, but if you go there to see everything there is to see in AK, then you could be there all day and not be bored. If many, many people actually found it to be a "boring half day park" then the attendance would reflect that and Disney would, in a financial requirement, have to make changes.

What's sad is that it has better attendance rates (at least unofficially) than DHS...

I don't hate AK (my previous posts being rants probably indicated that I do...I need to step back from that extreme position, because I don't hate AK) I just don't like the current state that it's in, and think it could use a lot of work. Then again, the same could be said for DHS and EPCOT...

luv

Well, before my 15 month hiatus from this site I made this post in this thread -

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ys-animal-kingdom.803695/page-90#post-4754111

There is nothing deep or must read in that post that hasn't already been said. I just quote it to lend my summary a bit of veracity. Anyhoo, here is my thought. I think the disagreements about Avatar all boil down to two things - 1) the perceived importance of an IP to a theme park attraction/lands success and 2) what type of IP makes a good theme park attraction land. I think there is a group of sane, intelligent posters on both sides of this issue and because we've all thought about our opinions, we're not changing each other's minds because we're working from a different set of assumptions. So, perhaps, we can talk about something else. How about this - Based on rumors from insiders it looks like all 3 of these things are a possibility - 1) Full Avatar land with multiple rides 2) One Avatar ride with room in CMM for another thing or two and 3) no Avatar at all. Regardless of your opinion, what does your gut tell you is most likely? How good are you at reading the tea leaves? Will you make a prediction you can point to and brag about later? Another thing I've seen people bring up in other threads is that Joe Rohde could lose his job if Avatar doesn't happen, since he won't have anything to work on. What do you think his legacy will be (regardless of when he leaves)? We don't have to discuss these things....just an idea.
I think a full land with multiple rides would be so unlike TDO. I predict no.

One ride is more like it...but I don't think this will happen.

I really hope it doesn't.

I don't know much about Joe Rohde except that I like him and I want to take that earring out of his poor lobe. Is he responsible for the AK? If so, he put together a lovely park - the best detailed park on the planet. Everything in it pretty much belongs there and it's a lot of fun to be in. When I walk in, i always feel grounded and enveloped in the park. He'll be remembered for all that. And the earring.

djlaosc

Since you've just mentioned this...

IMO, most of the complaints are weird. Avatar isn't my favorite, but I do have eyeballs. If anyone can't be a little excited that what is arguably the most visually stunning special effects spectacular of all time has been franchised by Disney who is now going to work with Cameron to make an immersive environment based on the movie that already wowed our eyeballs, I find it odd. Really odd.

...I want to know whether it is possible to build something in real life that looked as good as that CGI?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think there going to build one big Avatar e-ticket and make the rest of CMM a mini land around it. I don't think this is a good decision because DAK need more attractions...but it is what it is. If they're not going to do a fully immersive Avland with multiple rides they need to do something else.

I believe Rohde was the lead on AC (which is no more, but was beloved)..you know what, I'm going to cheat and cut and paste from wikipedia since whenever I rely on memory I have a mistake or two

Rohde is the lead designer of Disney's Animal Kingdom, one of four theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, and the principal creative force behind the park's Expedition Everest thrill ride, which debuted in 2006. He is also one of the lead designers behind the new Disney Vacation Club propertyAulani in Oʻahu, Hawaii. He was chosen for the role because of his experience with the Island and its native people, having grown up in Hawaii.
Rohde joined Imagineering in 1980 during the development of Epcot as a model designer and scenic painter for the theme park's Mexico pavilion. He later worked as a designer on the refurbishment ofFantasyland at Disneyland, the Captain EO 3-D film attraction starring singer Michael Jackson, theNorway pavilion at Epcot and the Adventurers Club, a 1930s-themed bar and lounge that opened in 1989 within the Pleasure Island entertainment district at Walt Disney World Resort.
Rohde was featured in an April 2006 Travel Channel documentary titled Expedition Everest: Journey to Sacred Lands. The program was produced by Discovery Networks during expeditions to China andNepal in 2005 called Mission Himalayas. The treks were sponsored by Disney, Discovery andConservation International to promote the Expedition Everest theme park attraction and conduct scientific and cultural research in remote areas of the Himalayas. Rohde served as the model for Harrison Hightower, the owner of the fictional "Hightower Hotel" which houses the Tower of Terror attraction atTokyo DisneySea in Tokyo, Japan.

Captain Chaos

Or...maybe the wait time is a reflection of a lack of other interesting attractions at that park. Saying that a long wait time means it's a pinnacle of the ride experience is like saying...well...that Avatar was a pinnacle of a great movie because it made a lot of money.

Oh...wait...
I don't think you'll find many people (even those who liked Avatar) calling it a pinnacle of a great movie... The story has been done before (many times as many stories have)... Yes, it was maybe a movie that was the pinnacle of movie making technology...

Here is one argument I think that does a disservice to the Avatar haters.. They want to poo-poo the idea of Avatar being popular by claiming it made the movie it did only because of 3D... They want to say because the cost of seeing a 3D movie is more than seeing a 2D film, that helped increase the box office numbers... They fail to mention the movie GAINED box office numbers week after week instead of losing week after week like all movies do... They means word of mouth was extremely positive.. That means people went to see it more than once... Why do people go to the theater to see a movie more than once? I don't know, maybe because they liked it?

And then these same people who want to try to write off Avatar's success as being 3D related, also champion The Avengers' success, The Dark Knight's Success... Well, last I checked, those movies were in 3D as well... And IMAX too... And the cost of seeing a 3D and IMAX movie today is more than it was when Avatar opened... So, by virtue of the haters arguments that Avatar did the business it did cause of the price of 3D, then shouldn't we also be talking about how much less Avengers and Dark Knight would have done if those movies were not released in 3D or IMAX? Isn't that fair? Yes.... I believe it is..

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Based on that, I'd say overall a good legacy, but a bit mixed since some things like AC didn't last and others like DAK are very pretty but light in the attraction department.

I do think he's getting the shaft if @WDW1974 was correct a while back and he could lose his job. I would guess if he and JC aren't getting along it is not entirely his fault.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Since you've just mentioned this...

...I want to know whether it is possible to build something in real life that looked as good as that CGI?

You can make something close and, in most cases, the prettier the starting canvas, the prettier the final product. Plus, it is rare that you can bring in such a bastion of visual retention like JC.

djlaosc

Carsland...

Carsland seems to be mostly rockwork and buildings - Pandora would have flora and fauna and bioluminescence to deal with, in a park that is covered in real plants (I know that The Tree of Life is fake, so it is possible to make fake plants, but it's the bioluminescence that I'm worried about.)

Captain Chaos

Carsland seems to be mostly rockwork and buildings - Pandora would have flora and fauna and bioluminescence to deal with, in a park that is covered in real plants (I know that The Tree of Life is fake, so it is possible to make fake plants, but it's the bioluminescence that I'm worried about.)
You mean like this

6908310777_afe950a378_z.jpg

Or how about the article posted last year about Disney developing the technology to create bioluminescent plants?

djlaosc

You mean like this

6908310777_afe950a378_z.jpg

Or how about the article posted last year about Disney developing the technology to create bioluminescent plants?

Where is that? Tokyo DisneySea?

The plants in that article required touch and a mirror, didn't they? Surely for the land they need to be able to do it without touch and a mirror?

luv

I don't even care about interactive plants. Big whup. I really hope they aren't spending money on dumb stuff like that.

ctxak98

I REALLY BELEIVE THIS RIDE! is proof that AVATAR can be a HUGE success if done correctly! This ride is already how many years old!? Think about what can be done NOW to a land with some similarities in bioluminescence! AHHH I shiver at the thought of getting this ride too. I wish we had this ride!

Captain Chaos

Where is that? Tokyo DisneySea?

The plants in that article required touch and a mirror, didn't they? Surely for the land they need to be able to do it without touch and a mirror?
Paradise Pier in DCA...

And as CTX just pointed out, bioluminescence has been done in a Disney attraction before... Technology has advanced since JttCotE... I'm sure Disney can pull it off..

ctxak98

AND I will say this! AK is a beautiful park if not the most beautiful park! does it have flaws!? yes, Just like every single theme park in the world! Its blend of Real animals and theme park attractions is seamless. I love every area so far except dinoland. I personally feel its the weakest right now besides the actual ride dinosaur! The whole carnival thing. But like someone else said and I will say a hundred more times If I need too, AK is a full day park if you do absolutely everything its intended to give you. You can't walk into this park thinking its going to have tons of rides and interactive guest things to do. Sure it does have some and some pretty good ones IMO but its more of a "your own journey and experience" type of place. Its your choice onwhich paths you walk down and what you want you adventure to be like! Its not all force-fed to you as you walk through the gates. It is more relaxing than most!

and to @Pixiedustmaker ......just because someone smokes in a movie does not mean EVERY single kid is going to do it....Its not proven because I can tell you that I have seen plenty of smoking in films....and by MY judgment and MY choices I decided its not attractive and gross! After a certain age yes we should have our own judgment. We cant always have our moms telling us what to do! we would get nowhere in life! (not always the case...just trying to make a point) AND even if she did smoke in the movie...which wasn't a lot of I recall....WHO SAYS Disney has to include that in the avatar land!? I mean if sooooo many people hated the movie or haven't seen it because its unpopular, Then should people even know she smoked!? this conversation is ridiculous and this is where it ends....just go bother another thread please...I've tried playing nice!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom