AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

GLaDOS

no because its an average ride..the day it reopened the wait never got over 30 minutes..which is my point your IP only takes you so far before quality takes over..which is the point...quality matters a whole heck of a lot more than IP

For a singular attraction. Not for a land.

If you're building a land, the IP better be beloved with a rabid fanbase.

twebber55

World Wide Gross Star Wars Prequels

$983 Episode I
$848 Episode II
$640 Episode III

Total: 2.47 Billion, plus probably $4 Billion in merchandising.
Avatar 2.78 Billion, *but a lot of that was foreign box office, and with merchandising Avatar hasn't made nearly as much as Star Wars. Star Wars also has the Expanded Universe books, has for decades, and makes money off of stories. Star Wars also made much more off of DVDs.

Avatar made so much $$ because a lot of the box office was 3-D, and the CGI was good. Star Wars has a whole galaxy of characters, Avatar not so much.

Long live StarWarsland!
yeah because nobody from foreign countries travels to WDW lol...so we should only judge based on domestic spending

twebber55

For a singular attraction. Not for a land.

If you're building a land, the IP better be beloved with a rabid fanbase.
cars land is all about the theming and great E ticket..and i m pretty sure at least according to our great insiders here we might just be getting a single E ticket

ctxak98

World Wide Gross Star Wars Prequels

$983 Episode I
$848 Episode II
$640 Episode III

Total: 2.47 Billion, plus probably $4 Billion in merchandising.
Avatar 2.78 Billion, *but a lot of that was foreign box office, and with merchandising Avatar hasn't made nearly as much as Star Wars. Star Wars also has the Expanded Universe books, has for decades, and makes money off of stories. Star Wars also made much more off of DVDs.

Avatar made so much $$ because a lot of the box office was 3-D, and the CGI was good. Star Wars has a whole galaxy of characters, Avatar not so much.

Long live StarWarsland!
YOU ARE INSANE!!!!
a lot of people who come to Disney world are from Foreign Countries!!! so not a valid point!

AND FOR THE LAST TIME! Avatar has just started and has a good amount of characters, sections of the planet, creatures and what not to last for 1 film. Star wars has been going on since the 70's with games, books and comics adding characters on left and right. Its hard to compare at this point considering how much star wars has developed already! jeeeez

ctxak98

cars land is all about the theming and great E ticket..and i m pretty sure at least according to our great insiders here we might just be getting a single E ticket
And IMO cars is not that great of a movie and didn't deserve a land but Its got one and I am happy with the way it turned out!

ctxak98

I've seen the film and I can't name a single worthwhile character from Avatar.
Well its not my fault you don't remember a character. Jake sully and Dr. Grace are great characters!!!!!! Not everyone like everything . There are literally so many people I run into or meet that have NEVER seen star wars at all and don't know anything about it. Its just a fact of life that not everyone is going to recognize a franchise when it hits you in the face....but that's doesn't mean its not going to be popular!

GLaDOS

It was more on how big and awesome RSR was. If it was a simulator no one would care. It's the land. Just like why Mysterious Island was/is so popular.

No one here would care, sure. But if RSR was a fraction of the size the GP would still be shelling out money to see Cars Land. because the kids love the cars.

GLaDOS

Well its not my fault you don't remember a character. Jake sully and Dr. Grace are great characters!!!!!! Not everyone like everything . There are literally so many people I run into or meet that have NEVER seen star wars at all and don't know anything about it. Its just a fact of life that not everyone is going to recognize a franchise when it hits you in the face....but that's doesn't mean its not going to be popular!

Is Jake the main character?

The guy is a cookie cutter military character. Nothing great about him.

Pixiedustmaker

Seriously though,
If there is a concern over smoking I guess they shouldn't watch 101 Dalmations either.

There was a controversy with Glenn Close smoking in the live action 101 Dalmatians film. Kids shouldn't watch 101 Dalmatians!

Jeez, welcome to the 21st Century danlb where scientists have discovered that smoking causes heart disease, lung cancer, emphysema, and a host of other diseases. Yeah, having smoking characters in kid's film is "controversial", actually it is a taboo that makes sense. Can't see Disney building a land, in this century, based on a film where a major character smokes up a storm.

Aren't you the guy who said that the construction guys messed up 7DMT because they built the mountain before putting in some track? I guess you're kinda fuzzy on the whole smoking issue too.

images

Avatarland? No! Based on the smoking alone, then there is the macho-violence, part of the film, but shouldn't be part of Animal Kingdom.

misterID

Seriously though,

There was a controversy with Glenn Close smoking in the live action 101 Dalmatians film.

Jeez, welcome to the 21st Century danlb where scientists have discovered that smoking causes heart disease, lung cancer, emphysema, and a host of other diseases. Yeah, having smoking characters in kid's film is "controversial", actually it is a taboo that makes sense. Can't see Disney building a land, in this century, based on a film where a major character smokes up a storm.

Aren't you the guy who said that the construction guys messed up 7DMT because they built the mountain before putting in some track? I guess you're kinda fuzzy on the whole smoking issue too.

images

Avatarland? No! Based on the smoking alone, then there is the macho-violence, part of the film, but shouldn't be part of Animal Kingdom.
Give it a rest already. If you don't like it, don't visit it...if its ever built.

Pixiedustmaker

I also don't think Disney was planning on having the movie right!? where are you bringing this from!? Disney also did get film rights to star wars and Indiana Jones until this last year....whats your point!? Just because Disney has a ride featuring Aerosmith, does that mean Disney gets all there concert ticket sales!? NO!

The "point" from a purely fianancial aspect is that Disney can promote their own franchise/films over a James Cameron film and get the same theme park attendance bump. Remember that the park attractions also boost interest in the films, Pooh is a nice ride, but also an advertisement that is going 7 days a week, keeping Pooh releveant. It is a synergistic relationship.

Why help Cameron promote Avatar? I say go with Star Wars, or Brave, or anything else in the vault, people have forgotten Avatar anyway.

Pixiedustmaker

Disney is also looking at a Peter's Dragon remake (without the musical numbers), and Maleficent is coming . . . seems like a dragon-based land makes more sense than ever in Animal Kingdom, instead of a sub-land based on a single very un-Disney property.

misterID

Again... GET OVER IT. You have no control over what they build and what they don't. You can show them how you feel by writing them a letter or not visiting said land. Going on and on and on and on and on and on will do nothing but make people physically ill every time they see your name. Yes, you made your point, you don't want Avatar in Animal Kingdom. WE GET IT.

Pixiedustmaker

Again... GET OVER IT. You have no control over what they build and what they don't. You can show them how you feel by writing them a letter or not visiting said land. Going on and on and on and on and on and on will do nothing but make people physically ill every time they see your name. Yes, you made your point, you don't want Avatar in Animal Kingdom. WE GET IT.

They haven't built Avatarland yet, now seems to be the opportune time to mention that the land will probably get protests from parents groups given how Weaver's character was smoking up a storm. Of course, nobody has any control over what Disney does, but I'll probably start multiple threads on multiple message boards all over the internet decrying the smoking character, and how Avatar isn't an appropriate film for a Disney theme park.

FrankLapidus

I don't really understand why people keep bringing up Cars to defend Avatar. The key difference between the two franchises is that Cars is a Disney-owned and created property. Disney and Pixar have been together pretty much since the beginning and Pixar films are ostensibly seen as Disney films, the two companies will always be linked and Pixar has always been a presence in Disney theme parks.

Therein lies one of the issues people, including myself, have with Avatar. There is a wealth of material in Disney and Pixar already without having to go outside the company to buy the rights to other properties. Doing so smacks of a leadership at Disney that has no, or at least very little, faith in their product or creative employees and who lack any kind of creative foresight themselves.

SirLink

Seriously though,

images

So your one of these idiots that want to remove Cigars from the animated cells of Tom & Jerry? You know what smoking is bad for you - it should be banned worldwide - however smoking in the media is simply a film/cartoon/book/etc view it as that and that alone ...

I now really want to see Avatarland built in full just to see people like you lose it - like the sky is falling...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom