AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Pixiedustmaker

OH ! My! GOODNESS! I have never seen such backwards thinking. SERIOUSLY!? anyone who refers to it as GI joes fighting the smurfs clearly just doesn't want the area because YOU personally don't like AVATAR and don't want it there for YOUR personal reasons. I am sorry but Disney world is about bringing in enormous amounts of people and people with different tastes! so you don't like Avatar...fine but Don't bash it for the people that do! not everyone has to like everything!

I don't think kids necessarily want to become part of the NAVI but In terms of the planet in general yes I would say some people dream about living there or visiting Pandora...I mean its beautiful why wouldn't you!? The movie is not about dying and being transformed as you can be a normal human walking around on the planet too. Its about Preserving the environment and being connected with nature, which IMO is a very important message at this day and age with all the deforestation, global warming and other pollutants out there.

I liked Avatar, watched it at home and thought the plot was very much Sci-Fi, even a Star Trek sort of moralizing plot as it discussed exploitation of aliens and such. But let's face it, the army folks in Avatar are basically G.I. Joe types, with new toys. A lot of boys/men went to see the film primarily for the action/suspense, plain and simple. The conservation theme was there, of course, but there was also action, love story type stuff, and folks being killed and trying to put their minds into the blue people before their bodies croak.

In terms of theme park offering, all I see being promoted with Avatar is walking on Pandora. Interesting, but are they going to put robotics in the plants? There are limits to what you can realistically build. I would also love to walk in the treehouses on the Wookiee homeworld, visit Endor, Couruscant, Bespin, Naboo, Tatooine, Oz, the world of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, life like sets of Nightmare Before Christmas, Brave, Monstropolis, and on and on . . .

Yes, Pandora would be nice, but there are dozens of other places I'd rather see faithfully recreated as Pandora was one of the first films with 3-D CGI eye candy, now we have Oz and Alice, and more being added all the time.

I think Disney will back away from Avatar due to having Disney, lack of fan reponse for Avatarland, the fact that Avatar is very un-Disney with the smoking, G.I. Joe action, and the dying and transfering minds and stuff. Not a film little kids should see.

Pixiedustmaker

might want to check again because they have the theme park rights

do you really think a man of camerons talent who made avatar 1 which made 2.8 billion (with a B) is going to fail?

thats why i compare avatar to carsland...great fit theme wise and great eye candy..nobody came out of alice and Oz like they did when they saw avatar

do you realize avatar made more money then the three star wars prequels combined? and i m not a star wars hater (im 40 grew up with it and like them)

to each his own but im looking forward to looking floating mountains, rock work, bioluminescent flora and fauna with a conservation message

just give a chance when it opens and then judge

Avatar was one of the first CGI films to use the new 3-D tech, now audiences have cooled to 3-D. Avatar make most of the box office overseas, films get less of a cut of the foreign box office, and Star Wars has made much, much, much more when you look at merchandising.

Disney has theme park, but NOT film rights, if James Cameron makes $2 billion on the next Avatar (doubtful), Disney won't get its cut anyway.

Long live Star Wars land.

ctxak98

I liked Avatar, watched it at home and thought the plot was very much Sci-Fi, even a Star Trek sort of moralizing plot as it discussed exploitation of aliens and such. But let's face it, the army folks in Avatar are basically G.I. Joe types, with new toys. A lot of boys/men went to see the film primarily for the action/suspense, plain and simple. The conservation theme was there, of course, but there was also action, love story type stuff, and folks being killed and trying to put their minds into the blue people before their bodies croak.

In terms of theme park offering, all I see being promoted with Avatar is walking on Pandora. Interesting, but are they going to put robotics in the plants? There are limits to what you can realistically build. I would also love to walk in the treehouses on the Wookiee homeworld, visit Endor, Couruscant, Bespin, Naboo, Tatooine, Oz, the world of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, life like sets of Nightmare Before Christmas, Brave, Monstropolis, and on and on . . .

Yes, Pandora would be nice, but there are dozens of other places I'd rather see faithfully recreated as Pandora was one of the first films with 3-D CGI eye candy, now we have Oz and Alice, and more being added all the time.

I think Disney will back away from Avatar due to having Disney, lack of fan reponse for Avatarland, the fact that Avatar is very un-Disney with the smoking, G.I. Joe action, and the dying and transfering minds and stuff. Not a film little kids should see.
I truly believe Disney doesn't care much about what we say here. We aren't even a fraction of how many people visit the world! Avatar is popular and again you state to your likings....you would rather see something else. That's fine and all but since you said you like the movie and since Disney has already decided on it....cant we just be happy we are getting it!?

And on another note you are getting Theme and Story Mixed up...The story has Love and action in it yes but that's not the central theme.

twebber55

Avatar was one of the first CGI films to use the new 3-D tech, now audiences have cooled to 3-D. Avatar make most of the box office overseas, films get less of a cut of the foreign box office, and Star Wars has made much, much, much more when you look at merchandising.

Disney has theme park, but NOT film rights, if James Cameron makes $2 billion on the next Avatar (doubtful), Disney won't get its cut anyway.

im all for star wars just not at DAK would love more at DHS...come talk to me about avatar being dead when films 2 and 3 come out...again i understand the draw of star wars but i dont want it at every park...no ip is bullet proof thats why star tours is the 4th most popular ride at DHS

did you read my other comment about avatar making more money than the prequels COMBINED?

twebber55

I truly believe Disney doesn't care much about what we say here. We aren't even a fraction of how many people visit the world! Avatar is popular and again you state to your likings....you would rather see something else. That's fine and all but since you said you like the movie and since Disney has already decided on it....cant we just be happy we are getting it!?

And on another note you are getting Theme and Story Mixed up...The story has Love and action in it yes but that's not the central theme.
disney could care less what we say..if this werent the case they would be getting rid of MM+ because nobody wants that

Pixiedustmaker

if its such an old hat how come Life of Pi (the next avatar) and The Croods (the animated avatar) compared themselves to it

literally other movies compare themselves to avatar

yeah totally forgotten

They want box office receits like Avatar and they want to relay the fact that they have CGI like Avatar. Now, every film can be the 'next Avatar' as CGI has gotten better since Avatar was made. Seriously, when I heard that Life of PI was describing itself as the 'next Avatar' I thought it was a sort of dated reference.

I remember Avatar tried to pass itself off as the "new Star Wars". Fortunately the new Star Wars is Episode 7,8 and 9 and a galaxy of aliens and droids more diverse than Avatar will ever be by a factor of 1,000 or something like that.

ctxak98

I also don't think Disney was planning on having the movie right!? where are you bringing this from!? Disney also did get film rights to star wars and Indiana Jones until this last year....whats your point!? Just because Disney has a ride featuring Aerosmith, does that mean Disney gets all there concert ticket sales!? NO!

GLaDOS

im all for star wars just not at DAK would love more at DHS...come talk to me about avatar being dead when films 2 and 3 come out...again i understand the draw of star wars but i dont want it at every park...no ip is bullet proof thats why star tours is the 4th most popular ride at DHS

did you read my other comment about avatar making more money than the prequels COMBINED?

ST is the 4th most popular ride at the Studios because it's 24 years old and built around antiquated technology which many riders don't particularly like, not because Star Wars isn't popular.

George1995

I couldn't agree anymore. I understand that a lot of people would rather see something else, I'm one of them (would much rather see them go with star wars personally). I still think that we shouldn't completely dismiss it until we see it finished. I think it could end up looking really good in DAK.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

If there is a concern over smoking I guess they shouldn't watch 101 Dalmations either.

twebber55

They want box office receits like Avatar and they want to relay the fact that they have CGI like Avatar. Now, every film can be the 'next Avatar' as CGI has gotten better since Avatar was made. Seriously, when I heard that Life of PI was describing itself as the 'next Avatar' I thought it was a sort of dated reference.

I remember Avatar tried to pass itself off as the "new Star Wars". Fortunately the new Star Wars is Episode 7,8 and 9 and a galaxy of aliens and droids more diverse than Avatar will ever be.
maybe you should change your name to yoda555 or something..star wars is a good thing for the parks but not the only thing

by the way Life of Pi (among others) were imitating avatar as you know imitation is the greatest form of flattery

twebber55

still think star wars stuff will come after the new movies are released..so maybe cars land and avatar by 2016 and star wars stuff sometime around 2017 or 2018

misterID

You are trying so incredibly hard to justify this decision that you're blinded to actual popular culture. I've posted this before, but look online. Look at Reddit, web forums, etc. People still reference Harry Potter, Star Wars, Back to the Future, Transformers, Indiana Jones, and Misc. Disney Movies. People don't reference or talk about Avatar unless it's "BLUE CATS WHOAAAA" and that's about it.

Avatar hasn't had a long last effect on the popular culture of America or the English speaking World. If you think it has, you haven't been paying attention to anything.

That response, especially the latter half, shows what your problem is and it's jaded. No, you're trying desperately to convince people Avatar doesn't matter. That's your bag. I don't care. It would be cool to have an addition to Ak with Avatarland. But I would much, much, much rather have the BK/MI hybrid that was once planned. And I don't want them using that plot of land for AVland. I think the arguments given against Avatar are just plain stupid, imho. And usually based on something other than the film. Even Star Wars fanbois butthurt that the al'mighty Star Wars doesn't have the presence in the parks they want. Avatar would be a great fit for Animal Kingdom.

And it's one of the most popular and successful films ever made. Ignoring that or dismissing it is ridiculous, whether you like it or not.

If it was made a land, knowing what WDI can accomplish, I think it would be wonderful, and merch sales would be very successful (probably not HP sales figures, but they would be good.) I don't see any correlation that a theme park land HAS to be tied into a successful film franchise to be incredible.

twebber55

I also don't think Disney was planning on having the movie right!? where are you bringing this from!? Disney also did get film rights to star wars and Indiana Jones until this last year....whats your point!? Just because Disney has a ride featuring Aerosmith, does that mean Disney gets all there concert ticket sales!? NO!
i wont ride RNRR because it has aerosmith on it and im a van halen fan...how rediculous lol

twebber55

ST is the 4th most popular ride at the Studios because it's 24 years old and built around antiquated technology which many riders don't particularly like, not because Star Wars isn't popular.
no because its an average ride..the day it reopened the wait never got over 30 minutes..which is my point your IP only takes you so far before quality takes over..which is the point...quality matters a whole heck of a lot more than IP

twebber55

I couldn't agree anymore. I understand that a lot of people would rather see something else, I'm one of them (would much rather see them go with star wars personally). I still think that we shouldn't completely dismiss it until we see it finished. I think it could end up looking really good in DAK.
i think thats a great open minded way to look at it...you might not be crazy about the idea but are at least wiling to give it a chance before judging

Pixiedustmaker

World Wide Gross Star Wars Prequels

$983 Episode I
$848 Episode II
$640 Episode III

Star Wars Total: 2.47 Billion, plus probably $4 Billion in merchandising.
Avatar 2.78 Billion, *but a lot of that was foreign box office, and with merchandising Avatar hasn't made nearly as much as Star Wars. Star Wars also has the Expanded Universe books, has for decades, and makes money off of stories. Star Wars also made much more off of DVDs.

Avatar made so much $$ because a lot of the box office was 3-D, and the CGI was good. Star Wars has a whole galaxy of characters, Avatar not so much.

Long live StarWarsland!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom