AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

FigmentJedi

None of the leaked plans had anything about a "Kuka" based ride like Forbidden Journey. Something more along the lines of Soarin 2.0, a "4D" theater kind of attraction.

Strange that Disney has been running Sum of All Thrills since 2009 but has yet to do anything more with the technology.
I recall reading Universal got an exclusive contract on "Kuka arms on a track" ride system for like the next ten years and that lead to the cancellation of an Incredibles attraction planning to use such tech.

Pentacat

I have heard about the "Soarin 2.0" concept and seen the blue prints. Just curious if that was what they were going to settle on. If the environment is phenomenal and they have that lone simple ride, I can totally live with that. Just kind of disappointed we're not getting the boat ride. When this project was announced I was convinced KUKA was going to be used. Kind of sad.

I'd say that the incredibly looooooong "development" time on Avatarland is a pretty good indication that one side wants this to be a groundbreaking experience that will melt people's eyeballs with amazing attractions. Meanwhile, the other side wants to count pennies and spend their time designing Avatar branded RFID dog collars.

djlaosc

Considering the Wizarding World of Harry Potter was basically one ride, merchandise and food, I'm okay with this. Because it blew me away and made me revisit multiple times with only that.

WWOHP added one ride, merchandise, food and entertainment, but the area in itself is three (or four depending on if you count Hungarian Horntail and Chinese Fireball as separate attractions) attractions, merchandise, food and entertainment.

The equivalent of WWOHP for Avatar would be Avatar taking over Asia...
  • changing Everest into a floating mountain (and replacing the Yeti with a Pandora creature)
  • adding Na'vi and Pandora creatures to Kali River Rapids.
  • adding a small Na'vi show
  • adding the Soarin' 10.0 attraction.
As of right now, it's looking like Soarin' 10.0, merchandise and food - that's it - that's less than Transformers/Springfield.

WDWFREAK53

I'd say that the incredibly looooooong "development" time on Avatarland is a pretty good indication that one side wants this to be a groundbreaking experience that will melt people's eyeballs with amazing attractions. Meanwhile, the other side wants to count pennies and spend their time designing Avatar branded RFID dog collars.

And I wonder which side James Cameron is on.... ;)

jt04

I still haven't seen anything that would lead me to think Pandora is making much progress.
Everyone I talk to has been unanimously pessimistic about it.

The only real info I've had of late was that there were ongoing "creative differences" between the two main creative people involved, and that the "land" had been scaled back to one ride, merchandise and food.

Elsewhere, the conference room at TDO is getting a very nice makeover, so there is that...

Someone suggested a Pandora E-Ticket (and requisite shop and eatery) for the Studios and the more I think about that the more I like it. Much rather see Mysterious Island/Adventurers' Land for DAK. Maybe reason will prevail.

Beholder

Perhaps this isn't a factor, but if the next Avatar film does exceedingly well at the box office, then maybe TDO could be more easily convinced to loosen the purse strings? Maybe? Since development seems to have slowed (or really never got moving?), maybe a box office hit will jump start things. I can't believe I'm hoping Avatar 2, 3, and whatever else, does well. Not a big fan, but I am a big fan of AK, and if this will help, then ok. I guess.

Genie of the Lamp

I remember reading here when it was revealed that Cameron okayed 2 attractions for this land (as opposed to the 3 that he advocated for), I recall hearing from someone that if those 2 latter movies did well at the b.o., TDO/Burbank promised Cameron that they were going to green light the 3rd attraction (the bike coaster which would've been phase 2 of this project). Now, let's just hope that's the case (latter movies exceeding expectations at the b.o.) so we can at least get a 2nd attraction for this land (be it the boat ride persumeably).

danlb_2000

Premium Member

... but is the development time "incredibly long"? My understanding is that major attractions at Disney generally take 5 years from conception to opening with the first 2 years of that often devoted to development. Avatar is unusual in that it was announced very early before much development had been done.

FrankLapidus

Perhaps this isn't a factor, but if the next Avatar film does exceedingly well at the box office, then maybe TDO could be more easily convinced to loosen the purse strings? Maybe? Since development seems to have slowed (or really never got moving?), maybe a box office hit will jump start things. I can't believe I'm hoping Avatar 2, 3, and whatever else, does well. Not a big fan, but I am a big fan of AK, and if this will help, then ok. I guess.

Isn't it the highest grossing film of all time? Why not loosen the purse strings now if that is the case? What is holding Disney back from going all out on it like Universal have done with Harry Potter?

Beholder

Isn't it the highest grossing film of all time? Why not loosen the purse strings now if that is the case? What is holding Disney back from going all out on it like Universal have done with Harry Potter?

Great point. I guess maybe they're (TDO) waiting to see if the "franchise" has legs. I really have no idea why they do things and don't do things, but sometimes common sense appears to be in short supply.

FrankLapidus

ONLY because it was the first real 3d effect movie

Maybe, but still if they're not going to go all out on it now considering how much money it did make, why would they go all out in the future if the sequels make a similar amount of money? If they want to see whether there's a loyal fanbase there who are going to turn out for anything and everything to do with Avatar, like the huge Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc fanbases do for those franchises, then they should have held off a bit longer before buying the rights.

Disney made the decision to invest in Avatar, now they should show some faith in that investment and go all out. It won't get me to set foot in Avatarland if they do but I would regard anything less than that as a cop-out when you look at what the competition in Orlando is doing.

dcibrando

Maybe, but still if they're not going to go all out on it now considering how much money it did make, why would they go all out in the future if the sequels make a similar amount of money? If they want to see whether there's a loyal fanbase there who are going to turn out for anything and everything to do with Avatar, like the huge Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc fanbases do for those franchises, then they should have held off a bit longer before buying the rights.

Disney made the decision to invest in Avatar, now they should show some faith in that investment and go all out. It won't get me to set foot in Avatarland if they do but I would regard anything less than that as a cop-out when you look at what the competition in Orlando is doing.

Disney shouldn't go all out on avatar they should get out

Many more better options for expansions in animal kingdom and other parks. For Disney To think avatar in a theme park would have as much draw as Star Wars, hairy plopper, or even Carsland is crazy

Prototype82

WWOHP added one ride, merchandise, food and entertainment, but the area in itself is three (or four depending on if you count Hungarian Horntail and Chinese Fireball as separate attractions) attractions, merchandise, food and entertainment.

• changing Everest into a floating mountain (and replacing the Yeti with a Pandora creature)
As of right now, it's looking like Soarin' 10.0, merchandise and food - that's it - that's less than Transformers/Springfield.

You're right. But I'd hardly see re-themed rides as a new draw. Not saying it's not any less minuscule.

FigmentJedi

That land takeover description almost makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom