AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

TalkingHead

Hey, you know I like Conan O'Brien ... and he has had animals on his show ... and he is a living being ... can we have a Conaria now? I'm sure WDI can create all sorts of experience ... maybe include a Soarin Over Andy Richter attraction?

Fans wonder why their parks are boring messes where theme is muddled and decoration gets confused with theme ... where Disney's BRAND is more important than storytelling and immersing people ...yet, they make excuses to warp the rules so they can have whatever they wany and so we get bad ideas like this one.

Anything can be crammed into the "nature" theme -- Big Thunder could be a depiction of desert wildlife in the Southwest; a Test-Track type ride could show responsible, environmentally-conscious car engineering (haha, right?); or the old Snow White dark ride could show the forest as a scary, "mythical" (since that word is getting beaten with a baseball bat) place.

You obviously see this for what it is: a desperate attempt by Disney to make DAK "relevant" by tying it to a flash-in-the-pan movie whose flash has already dimmed to a burnt match.

Bolna

You can believe that McDonald's serves the best beef available. You are wrong.
You can believe the Chevy Impala is the best built car on the road. You are wrong.

I think these two are actually very good examples to illustrate the way an opinion can be wrong in the sense you say it. I might call it "less informed" and hence for me it is less valuable.

If someone only knows a really bad burger place (or the burgers from my cafeteria at work) and a McDonald, for this person McDonalds might be the best beef available - personally available that is. Still his or her opinion has less value because they lack the background to come to the conclusion.

Same with the Chevy Impala. If someone has a car of that make and is absolutely happy - more so than with any car they had before - they might think it is the best car. But forget that they have no personal knowledge of other cars. Once again, it is a question of experience.

We might all be Disney fans here in this forum - but we come from different backgrounds and have various knowledge of Disney and its history, the design of theme parks as well as Disney's place in the world of media and entertainment. If one reads this forum for a certain amount of time (and I started reading here before I got an account, so I have been around longer than 5 years) one gets to know other posters - their knowledge, experience and background (with regard to Disney). This makes certain opinions much more valuable than others.

This is actually one of the reasons why I continue reading this site: it's not the 5.000st thread about a fifth gate, but I can actually learn something from those who know more about Disney in all aspects, be it whylightbulb about attractions and why they work, you for your insight in how the world of media works, Martin for his incredible knowledge of WDW history, the posters who come from an engineering background etc.

That's why I absolutely think that some opinions are better than others! And why some opinions are just wrong.

Beholder

Anything can be crammed into the "nature" theme -- Big Thunder could be a depiction of desert wildlife in the Southwest; a Test-Track type ride could show responsible, environmentally-conscious car engineering (haha, right?); or the old Snow White dark ride
could show the forest as a scary, "mythical"
(since that word is getting beaten with a
baseball bat) place.

You obviously see this for what it is: a desperate attempt by Disney to make DAK "relevant" by
tying it to a flash-in-the-pan movie whose flash
has already dimmed to a burnt match.

It's funny when people try to make something that is, by it's very nature, timeless, "relevant". Animals, nature, responsible conservation, and the environments that exist here on Earth transcend any fad.

rioriz

No one is right. No one is wrong. It's their opinion, let them have it. Just like that is your opinion. Don't go around telling other people that your own idea is right and their own idea is wrong. I have no problem with anything you say, except for that.

Exaclty and that is the biggest issues with everyone on this board is there are no right or wrong answers because like most everyting in life it is subjective. A fact is something that have scientific evidence and cannot be unproven. Everything else is just opinion whether you like it or not

dreamscometrue

I think people misinterpret what Walt was trying to offer with Disneyland. Many of Disneyland's attractions were/are standard amusement park fare. Some of which are themed better than their industry counterparts, others only slightly differently themed. Disney was concerned about the OVERALL experience, not necessarily the individual themed attractions. Much of what was at Disneyland wasn't really unique. What was unique was the OVERALL experience. Disney didn't invent the dark ride, or the carousel, or the sky ride, or the spinner, or the boat ride. He wasn't adverse to putting things in as long as they conformed to the theme he was looking for. Even the Matterhorn was only themed on the outside until they refurbed it to theme the inside as well.

^^^This! (Well said) :)

Bolna

This year, compared to last year, flights from the UK seem to have gone from between $600 (£400) and $750 (£500) up to $900 (£600)+. That $900/£600 seems to be made up of $300 (£200) for the cost of the flight, and $600 (£400) in tax and other supplements/charges - it is ridiculous - flights would be affordable if they weren't taxed so much! And I can only imagine that they will go up even further next year (I'm pretty sure that I've seen people on other forums being charged between $1350 (£900) and $1500 (£1000) for flights this year.

We seemed to have had nearly the same thought at the same time! :)

However, about the flight prices: I was looking at the same strange distribution between flight price and taxes/supplements recently and then when I actually looked closely found out that the taxes/supplement part was only very little tax (and we do have a flight tax here in Germany), but a very high "fuel and security surcharge" which made up about 2/3 of the whole amount. I think it is a very lazy way to hide the true cost of the flight price as it is actually something which I feel belongs into the flight price as the plane can't fly without fuel. A hotel does not charge an "electricity surcharge" either on top of the room rate.

djlaosc

We seemed to have had nearly the same thought at the same time! :)

However, about the flight prices: I was looking at the same strange distribution between flight price and taxes/supplements recently and then when I actually looked closely found out that the taxes/supplement part was only very little tax (and we do have a flight tax here in Germany), but a very high "fuel and security surcharge" which made up about 2/3 of the whole amount. I think it is a very lazy way to hide the true cost of the flight price as it is actually something which I feel belongs into the flight price as the plane can't fly without fuel. A hotel does not charge an "electricity surcharge" either on top of the room rate.

Yeah! :)

I couldn't remember what the "cost" was actually called, but I could remember that it was around 2/3 of the total cost, so I may have called it under the wrong name, or maybe they lump them all together in the UK for some reason...

Fuel costs in the UK (and I'm imagining Europe as a whole) are ridiculous compared to the USA, and I just checked what Germany's VAT is (19%), which is similar to the UK's VAT (20%) - makes the 6.5% Sales Tax in Florida look amazing! ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
You can degrade their opinion, but you can't deem it wrong to them. Opinion is not fact, it is what YOU believe.

So they can be delusional.. But as long as its right to THEM... They're ok in your book?

This train of logic is so borked. The main problem is too many stupid people not understanding where opinion starts and stops. So instead of expanding their horizons and actually learning something.. They hold on with a death grip as 'opinion' and happy to cover their ears.

dreamscometrue

No one is right. No one is wrong. It's their opinion, let them have it. Just like that is your opinion. Don't go around telling other people that your own idea is right and their own idea is wrong. I have no problem with anything you say, except for that.

And he says that over and over again in post after post..."The fact that you don't see (or opt not to)"...blah, blah, blah.

You should know by now (after 164 posts) that '74 has absolutely no comprehension of this concept. (No one is right. No one is wrong.) Anyone who ever disagrees with him, on any account,is 'spoken' to with the air of an arrogant,condescending adult speaking to a poor ignorant child. For someone who comes across as somewhat knowlegeable and relatively intelligent, he can not seem to get his head around the idea that anyone who sees WDW in a manner different that he, may not be an ignoramous. (Which may be a mythical creature, but that's a whole other discussion. :))

invader

So they can be delusional.. But as long as its right to THEM... They're ok in your book?

This train of logic is so borked. The main problem is too many stupid people not understanding where opinion starts and stops. So instead of expanding their horizons and actually learning something.. They hold on with a death grip as 'opinion' and happy to cover their ears.
In the context it was used previously on Lee's post was about Imagination 3.0 being the best. That is an okay opinion, you can't prove that type of opinion wrong because it's well - an opinion. The things 74 posted like the Earth being flat isn't okay. That's belief, not opinion - you can prove it wrong.

Lee

Adventurer
In the context it was used previously on Lee's post was about Imagination 3.0 being the best. That is an okay opinion, you can't prove that type of opinion wrong because it's well - an opinion. The things 74 posted like the Earth being flat isn't okay. That's belief, not opinion - you can prove it wrong.
Or...is thinking that Imagination 3.0 being the best a belief?
Hard to draw a firm line between opinion/belief.

yeti

In my OPINION...

Oh ... why is my (very important) phone call delayed? Why is it giving me time to answer stuff like this.

No, opinion can be and quite often is WRONG.

You can believe that the Earth is flat. You are wrong.
You can believe that whatever group of people you don't like (fanbois in my case) are lesser human beings than your chosen group. You are wrong.
You can believe that kissing causes AIDS. You are wrong.
You can believe that McDonald's serves the best beef available. You are wrong.
You can believe the Chevy Impala is the best built car on the road. You are wrong.
You can believe Wall Street isn't a fraud. You are wrong.
You can believe companies don't pay people to be active in social media sites. You are wrong.

How long would you like me to go on?

OPINION is very often wrong and while people are entitled to be wrong, they also can be called on their opinions when they are.

You CAN believe whatever you like, but you can also live in ignorance because you have crazy beliefs. That's up to everyone.

...read this and shut up. Honestly. Can Steve just make us a philosophy/existentialist subform for anyone who disagrees? ^Well said.

Now...back to the a-plot....I think a good, discernable way to decide whether or not Avatar fits without going in circles is to examine the park's dedication speech:

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.

Does Avatar match that criteria? Yeah, I'd say it does. As an environment it's lavish, plenty of wildlife, it's got a (halfhearted) message about harmony and balance, and as a ride it should be thrilling. But really, isn't Animal Kingdom a theme park whose overall theme is so well defined that it doesn't need the "creative vision" of a person like James Cameron for inspiration?

Suffice it to say I'm excited-very excited, just as long as its good enough to make up for the fact that there are more original ideas available (and that the film sucked).

doctornick

I'm not a Star Wars fan but I've got to admit, a star wars land would be wildly more successful than Harry potter. Only problem is if they build a whole land dedicated to one movie in DHS, I feel it may seem out of place. I think the idea for a Sci Fi land would be a good thing to out into DHS :)

I think instead of a "Sci Fi" land, it should be more like "World of Adventure" or something referring to "Adventure" or "Action" (can't think of a good name since "Adventureland" is kinda taken for WDW) and be dedicated to all sorts of Action/Adventure films or themes. That way, you could have Star Wars but also change the Indiana Jones stunt show to a Indiana Jones ride and you can add in something like Journey to the Center of the Earth. Sci Fi limits is too much IMHO.

Beholder

If kong goes anywhere it will be back at Uni.

Better at AK than nowhere. I was just making the point that Avatar, even though it could, maybe work in AK, other non-Disney properties would work more cohesively. And an entire area devoted to Skull Island would be epic! The wall, the swamps, the giant insects, creepy natives, and the big ape himself.

And a kiddie ride with Mighty Joe Young!

ZaneB

I think instead of a "Sci Fi" land, it should be more like "World of Adventure" or something referring to "Adventure" or "Action" (can't think of a good name since "Adventureland" is kinda taken for WDW) and be dedicated to all sorts of Action/Adventure films or themes. That way, you could have Star Wars but also change the Indiana Jones stunt show to a Indiana Jones ride and you can add in something like Journey to the Center of the Earth. Sci Fi limits is too much IMHO.

If only when DHS opened it had of been built with different lands for different genres, then a classic Hollywood entrance street and a movie studio area! (but I think DHS is still awesome)

Cosmic Commando

We usually stay for 6 days down in Orlando. The first day we don't go to any parks and we just enjoy the hotel and relax. Four of the days we have one=park tickets and the last day we all get park-hoppers because we like to try to hit all the parks on the last day as a family to do one thing in each one. I know it sounds crazy, but this is our last day tradition. It's like "The Amazing Race" and we hit MK first, then EPCOT, then DHS, and then DAK, and then we head to the airport.
Just wanted to check... you don't buy a one day ticket every day, do you?

RSoxNo1

If they insist on putting a Hollywood property in AK, let's trade Avatar for King Kong. That makes a lot more sense and the whole "lost world dinosaur thing" will compliment the park.
I can only assume that Universal still has the rights to King Kong, if not it would be an amusing power move for Disney to acquire them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom