AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

CaptJapan

My only complaint with AVATAR is simple.

Disney. could. do. better.

If AVATAR was the only thing they could get a hold of then I'd be fine with it. But considering the amount of franchises out there ripe for theming, AVATAR is just the bottom of the barrel.

WDWFREAK53

If AVATAR was the only thing they could get a hold of then I'd be fine with it. But considering the amount of franchises out there ripe for theming, AVATAR is just the bottom of the barrel.

Aside from Bond and Lord of the Rings...
What is bigger that Disney doesn't already have that another company doesn't already have the rights to?

Please don't say Twilight.

Pirates...check
Star Wars...check
Indiana Jones...check
Muppets...check
Everything Pixar...check

Just curious...

NoChesterHester

Ok. Name one that Disney controls.

Name one that has instant name recognition and that the general public will gravitate to and recognize. What is out there that isn't already owned?

CaptJapan

Easy.
Go to Walmart, or Target and go to the toys isle.
Lets go through a list of toys that have been on shelves for the past ten years.

Star Wars - Disney
Marvel - Universal, and sorta Disney
DC - Six Flags
Toy Story - Disney
Cars - Disney
Shrek - Universal
Transformers/GI Joe - Universal
Barbie - No one. Though you could say Disney. Could it work as a franchise?
LEGO - Merlin Entertainment

Pokemon - No theme park presence. A franchise that has existed for over 15 years, a franchise that has made 15 billion dollars from video games, toys, clothing, trading cards, television and movies. A cartoon which has aired over 700 episodes and 15 movies. From airplanes to thanksgiving day balloons, Pokemon is a fad that never went away and probably never will. Ask a kid what Pikachu is and they'll know, ask them what a Na'vi is and they'll just stare. Pokemon is a franchise built around collectable monsters and animals with special powers, how perfect would that be fitting in with Animal Kingdom? Nintendo has been around, they have been a huge part of many childhoods, some more then Disney. We all grew up with Mario. Nintendo and Disney are the same masters of their fields and have even worked together. Nintendo published Disney's Epic Mickey in Japan. If Disney would go to that much trouble working with another company like Fox, why not work with Nintendo? Nintendo has franchises ripe for theme parks, the question is, who's gonna go after them first? Or is Nintendo gonna do it themselves?

NoChesterHester

Easy.

Go to Walmart, or Target and go to the toys isle.

Lets go through a list of toys that have been on shelves for the past ten years.

Star Wars - Disney
Marvel - Universal, and sorta Disney
DC - Six Flags
Toy Story - Disney
Cars - Disney
Shrek - Universal
Transformers/GI Joe - Universal
Barbie - No one. Though you could say Disney. Could it work as a franchise?
LEGO - Merlin Entertainment

Pokemon - No one. This franchise has been around for 15 years. Nintendo has been called the Disney of video games. Pokemon is a trillion dollar franchise, that STILL has a cartoon running, 15 years later. Animal Kingdom and Pokemon would fit so perfectly, its a no brainier. If you have a kid, I guarantee you they have played Pokemon.
Toys, cartoon, video games, cards, clothing, this franchise is the fad that never died and has serious cash behind it. You build Pokemon at Animal Kingdom! Not even Harry Potter has made as much as Pokemon, or had as many movies either!
If Disney went to that much trouble to get with 20th Century Fox for AVATAR, why couldn't they go to Nintendo? Disney doesn't own FOX or Star Wars, but they can still establish contracts. So why not Nintendo? A company they have worked with many times before. Nintendo even published Epic Mickey in Japan.

The challenge was to name one Disney controls or could control. Star Wars is already in their parks, but insiders have stated that the licensing costs to Lucas are astronomical.

Pokemon land? Really? Compelling... :ROFLOL:

Toy Story already at saturation in the parks.

The rest are owned by someone else, or are unavailable due to prior agreements.

NOT easy.

NoChesterHester

Easy.

Pokemon - No one. This franchise has been around for 15 years. Nintendo has been called the Disney of video games. Pokemon is a trillion dollar franchise, that STILL has a cartoon running, 15 years later. Animal Kingdom and Pokemon would fit so perfectly, its a no brainier. If you have a kid, I guarantee you they have played Pokemon.
Toys, cartoon, video games, cards, clothing, this franchise is the fad that never died and has serious cash behind it. You build Pokemon at Animal Kingdom! Not even Harry Potter has made as much as Pokemon, or had as many movies either!
If Disney went to that much trouble to get with 20th Century Fox for AVATAR, why couldn't they go to Nintendo? Disney doesn't own FOX or Star Wars, but they can still establish contracts. So why not Nintendo? A company they have worked with many times before. Nintendo even published Epic Mickey in Japan.

No seriously... Pokemon land is the answer?

Yup would much rather see that then the the bio luminescent moon Pandora.

CaptJapan

Then prove to me, why AVATAR is a much more lasting and profitable franchise?
Tell me how AVATAR toys will fly off souvenir store shelves.
Cause the clearance isle at Kmart doesn't count.

disney fan 13

I'm with capt Japan on this one, every person was a kid from the late 90s to now knows what Pokemon is or has enjoyed pokemon in some way... ( even I got into it, have a bunch of gameboy games and trading cards that I am waiting to sell on EBay to make some cash...

P.S I went to my little bros elementary school today and guess what I saw... A Pokemon battle... So I would say that if something when I was 7-10 is still popular then I would say it is a pretty successful franchise.

Also I agree Pokemon should have a presence but,not in AK

katarn112

Yeah... As someone who was born in the 90s and grew up with pokemon, I absolutely do not want to see a pokemon attraction, let alone a land. Love or hate Avatar's story, even the haters have to admit that it was visually stunning.

CaptJapan

I'd actually be for a complete Nintendo theme park.
Doesn't Mario still beat Mickey in a global recognition test?
You can't tell me a theme park land based on the Mushroom Kingdom would not be visually fun.

DisneyFan 2000

I'd actually be for a complete Nintendo theme park.
Doesn't Mario still beat Mickey in a global recognition test?
You can't tell me a theme park land based on the Mushroom Kingdom would not be visually fun.
I could be mistaken but last I heard Mickey Bugs and Pooh are the top 3 in global recognition. Or was that sales? One or the other, not entirely sure...

NoChesterHester

I'm with capt Japan on this one, every person was a kid from the late 90s to now knows what Pokemon is or has enjoyed pokemon in some way... ( even I got into it, have a bunch of gameboy games and trading cards that I am waiting to sell on EBay to make some cash...

P.S I went to my little bros elementary school today and guess what I saw... A Pokemon battle... So I would say that if something when I was 7-10 is still popular then I would say it is a pretty successful franchise.

Also I agree Pokemon should have a presence but,not in AK

Merchandise does not equate to good theme park land. No way you can slice this for me to agree.

Knowing what something is doesn't mean that it is a valuable franchise going forward. Especially when we are talking about bricks and mortar.

NoChesterHester

Then prove to me, why AVATAR is a much more lasting and profitable franchise?
Tell me how AVATAR toys will fly off souvenir store shelves.
Cause the clearance isle at Kmart doesn't count.

The Pandora argument is overdone. Just search the boards for a bit. I could bang my head against a wall for an hour and it would be more fun then to rehash... Especially without concept art or really any knowledge whatsoever of what the expansion would contain.

The constant statement espoused from Disney Fans is "Disney could do so much better." "They should pick a better franchise."

I have yet to hear a viable big available franchise named other then Star Wars... which interestingly enough is property of Lucasfilm.

Ignore the unsophisticated story. I don't believe anyone can honestly watch that Avatar movie and not believe it would be a stunning theme park land if the right budget and design talent were applied.

I stick by my theory; most of the rabid dislike for the Avatar / Pandora expansion at Animal Kingdom is based on the fanboy obsession with one canceled project or another. Avatar is the nail for many of our favorite dead projects. Mine too.

GrumpyFan24

I have to say i disagree with this decision 100%. Disney could do so much better by doing something Disney/Pixar. This one movie should not all of a sudden get it's own spot in Disney. I didn't see the big deal with it so I didn't go see it. I don't know why people are making such a big fuss over it, Iv'e seen parts and it looked stupid. AK has plenty of space for something better. I see this being a failed attempt after 3yrs since opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom