AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

ToTBellHop

This is how I viewed it as well. The source material for a themed environment is not the end all and be all for quality. The biggest factor for the source material is the interest in merchandise. If Disney opens up a great $400 million expansion and I'm not compelled to buy any merchandise I think I can live with that.

My concern is the name of this land. Avatarland sounds awful. World of Avatar sounds better. Pandora sounds far and away the best. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. People will make up their own name for things in conversation that will be some form of abbreviation anyway but officially, Pandora sounds much cleaner than the other two.

I doubt it will be called Avatarland. The name is nonsense.

G00fyDad

I'm excited about this addition. Can't wait to see it. :)

And as long as this isn't staring at me from the entrance I don't care if they call it "Bob's Land of the Big Blue People"

Did Knee

G00fyDad;4815907 I don't care if they call it "Bob's Land of the Big Blue People"[/QUOTE said:
If they use that name for it, they could just re-theme Dinoland and use that instead! ok....bad idea....:lol:

puntagordabob

So if you liked the imagery of the movie even if you did not like the movie itself, I would think you should be excited. I mean you do not dislike the Haumted Mansion because the Haunted Mansion movie stunk right?

For the record Haunted Mansion the movie did not in any inspire the creation of the attraction lol...since it was created decades before the movie!

Avatar on the other hand was created (obviously) before any land or attraction was thought of by Disney.

My concern is the name of this land. Avatarland sounds awful. World of Avatar sounds better. Pandora sounds far and away the best. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. People will make up their own name for things in conversation that will be some form of abbreviation anyway but officially, Pandora sounds much cleaner than the other two.

I am fairly confident that the Name is not official... and would not go along with the names for the other DAK areas..... someone's idea of Pandora could be possible... of course a name not even thought of by any of us is also even more likely!

Cosmic Commando

Pandora does sound good, but there are two problems:

1. The land might not all take place on Pandora; the next two films at one point were supposed to take us to different moons near Pandora.

2. There is probably a large section of people who are big enough fans of the movie to have interest in seeing the land, but not big enough fans to remember that it was called Pandora. World of Avatar fixes that. I don't really like world of Avatar either, but it's still better than Carsland.

Bairstow

2. There is probably a large section of people who are big enough fans of the movie to have interest in seeing the land, but not big enough fans to remember that it was called Pandora. World of Avatar fixes that.

So would an ad campaign.
Pretty sure no one in 1979 knew what an "epcot" was either.

RSoxNo1

1. The land might not all take place on Pandora; the next two films at one point were supposed to take us to different moons near Pandora.

2. There is probably a large section of people who are big enough fans of the movie to have interest in seeing the land, but not big enough fans to remember that it was called Pandora. World of Avatar fixes that. I don't really like world of Avatar either, but it's still better than Carsland.

Per Jim Hill, the name that's being used right now is James Cameron's World of Avatar. I cringe at the branding aspect of that. I hate the ridiculously long names for attractions (ex. Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid). It reeks of suits getting paid 6 and 7 figures sitting in a conference room talking about brand recognition.

Evidently there was a concept for "Carland" as opposed to "Carsland" and that seems to be the route of the name. I'd prefer Radiator Springs myself.

To your point about other lands beyond Pandora - that's probably valid. If that's the case then World of Avatar is the best name I've heard so far.

NoChesterHester

Per Jim Hill, the name that's being used right now is James Cameron's World of Avatar. I cringe at the branding aspect of that. I hate the ridiculously long names for attractions (ex. Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid). It reeks of suits getting paid 6 and 7 figures sitting in a conference room talking about brand recognition.

Evidently there was a concept for "Carland" as opposed to "Carsland" and that seems to be the route of the name. I'd prefer Radiator Springs myself.

To your point about other lands beyond Pandora - that's probably valid. If that's the case then World of Avatar is the best name I've heard so far.

I hope that by the point this is constructed clearer minds will win out. Pandora is the only thing that makes sense in Animal Kingdom.

trr1

The problem I have with "World of Avatar " it makes me think of the cartoon and movie about the little kid called Aang who is the last airbender. it could just be called the Worlds of Pandora not to get children confused with the other
Aang1.png

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The problem I have with "World of Avatar " it makes me think of the cartoon and movie about the little kid called Aang who is the last airbender. it could just be called the Worlds of Pandora not to get children confused with the other
Aang1.png

I think that's why "James Cameron's" tag at he front is needed.

sponono88

Here's Tom Staggs and James Cameron on a recent visit to the Cars Land construction site. According to the Disney Parks Blog, Cameron was there to familiarize himself with the "immersive Disney Parks experience as their team begins design work on the first AVATAR-themed land set to open at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort."

dca.jpg

photo source: SW(WDI)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom