AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Scuttle

what do you mean forward motion instead of sideways? it has full 360 degree turn capability, so the idea of "forward" motion is a moot point.

I'm just saying if you have an inverted KUKA arm system than the arm would be able to get you low to the ground in front of you and there wouldn't be track in the way. That's all I'm saying. I think a ride system like that would truly ground breaking.

whylightbulb

I'm just saying if you have an inverted KUKA arm system than the arm would be able to get you low to the ground in front of you and there wouldn't be track in the way. That's all I'm saying. I think a ride system like that would truly ground breaking.
This has been looked at but the loads exerted on the track would limit lateral motion and would require an exorbitant amount of support. I'm not saying it is completely outside the realm of possibility but I wouldn't hold my breath.

G00fyDad

This has been looked at but the loads exerted on the track would limit lateral motion and would require an exorbitant amount of support. I'm not saying it is completely outside the realm of possibility but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Can you imagine the size of the track and the roller base that would be required to attach one of these arms to a moving system? Wow. I wouldn't want to be on it if the programming went awry and the arm was left sticking out at a right angle to a wall as it passed by. Ouch. :dazzle:

Bairstow

Can you imagine the size of the track and the roller base that would be required to attach one of these arms to a moving system? Wow. I wouldn't want to be on it if the programming went awry and the arm was left sticking out at a right angle to a wall as it passed by. Ouch. :dazzle:

I've already posted pictures of similar elevated-track robot arms larger and more powerful than those used in Potter. They've been built before for various industrial applications.

As for the programming issues, as other posters have already pointed out Potter presents these sorts of potential hazards already due to show elements and walls passing within the arms' potential range of motion. It's not a challenge unique to an inverted setup.

G00fyDad

I've already posted pictures of similar elevated-track robot arms larger and more powerful than those used in Potter. They've been built before for various industrial applications.

As for the programming issues, as other posters have already pointed out Potter presents these sorts of potential hazards already due to show elements and walls passing within the arms' potential range of motion. It's not a challenge unique to an inverted setup.

Sorry. I have not seen the other pictures. :( As for the programming issues, I have very limited knowledge in this area. I t just seems like a possibility. But like I said, I know very little about the mechanics involved.

Bairstow

This is a very cogent and accurate explanation of the thinking behind the FJ design strategy. I argued for the use of both forward and side motion during the design phase and obviously lost the battle but there are ways around the RV POV problem you are referring to.

For example I pitched the idea of a realistic takeoff from load that would simulate soaring out of a window and flying forward into the moonlit sky. This would be accomplished by starting with the same kind of take off we have now except we would pass the first window as the RV rotates toward the second completely open window and our side motion changes to forward motion. The RV is still at about 5 feet before the arm accelerates upwards to full height, the wind machine is going at full force, the drop sets begin to drop and the particulate simulating clouds (also used to hide the RV in front during the "lift off") is on full blast and the music crescendos. Effects lighting adds the final touch to what would have been one of the most exhilerating and realistic experiences in any ride to date. This would have been a great example of using the technology to benefit the show and would have offered a complete visceral and thematic sequence.

Of course it is usually budget, ego or safety that prohibits things like this from becoming reality. In this case unfortunately it was a little ego and mostly budget. LN2 or CO2 is extremely expensive and the consumables budget was already pretty high. I think this would have been a better use of it but I did not have the final word. Also adding the drop sets in one more show action effect adds cost. Oh well...on to fight more battles.

Sounds pretty amazing, though I can imagine that the kind of vapor cloud needed to hide the RV in front of each rider's would have been massive.

Did you folks ever look into using articulated screens or lightweight walls that could drop in and out of the RV pathways?

And while I'm asking, how close did they come to building full-scale AAs of the Potter cast for the finale instead of a projection?

Scuttle

Sounds pretty amazing, though I can imagine that the kind of vapor cloud needed to hide the RV in front of each rider's would have been massive.

Did you folks ever look into using articulated screens or lightweight walls that could drop in and out of the RV pathways?

]And while I'm asking, how close did they come to building full-scale AAs of the Potter cast for the finale instead of a projection?

Been wondering that myself.

whylightbulb

And while I'm asking, how close did they come to building full-scale AAs of the Potter cast for the finale instead of a projection?
There were several different proposals for the finale. One was a pretty cool transformation effect that would have invloved some fancy animated walls. I don't recall anything specific regarding animatronics for the finale but there was talk of more AA figures in general.

MAF

I think I'm the only one who prays this whole Avatar garbage somehow gets scrapped before construction starts. *crosses fingers*

RSoxNo1

I think I'm the only one who prays this whole Avatar garbage somehow gets scrapped before construction starts. *crosses fingers*

If it's in place of something better than yes - if it's in place of nothing, no.

I'm more optimistic than most for Avatar. I didn't love the movie, but I think it lends itself to a theme park environment and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm more optimistic than most for Avatar. I didn't love the movie, but I think it lends itself to a theme park environment and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I liked the movie and I think given there are two more to come that we will get some very doable theme park tie ins in addition to what is already a very good base to work from.

menamechris

If it's in place of something better than yes - if it's in place of nothing, no.

I agree with this completely. I was not a fan of the movie either, but it creates amazing possibilities for a theme park experience. I don't think I will have to be a fan of Avatar to be a fan of what could come of this project. However, I am not kidding myself, they have pretty extensive plans for a $500 million budget. I personally don't see "multiple" attractions coming from this unless it is one major ride and a kiddie ride. Just please no more spinners, although I am sure it will be tempting for them to throw one up...

Horizonsfan

I couldn't agree more. The movie was bad in my book (unobtanium & ripping the "alien vs robot suit" scene straight from Cameron's other movie Aliens, among other things :dazzle:) but you would have to be a fool to think that the movie doesn't lend itself to an incredible theme park environment. I just hope WDI has better writers than the original movie did.

My only disappointment with this whole project was that it, at best, put Mysterious Island's appearance at WDW on indefinite hold and at worst, killed any chance of it ever coming. Though that was a disappointment that was going to come from any non-MI project being announced for AK. So can't really hold it against Avatarland :shrug:

Keppyslinger

I tend to keep my own counsel on these matters but I will say this.

Disney is not going to recreate Avatar. You are not going to walk through the movie. Instead you will have an environment inspired by the visuals in the movie, and (to some extent) the message of the movie.

So if you liked the imagery of the movie even if you did not like the movie itself, I would think you should be excited. I mean you do not dislike the Haumted Mansion because the Haunted Mansion movie stunk right?

jimmyking211

I think this can be really good for Disney and the Animal Kingdom. Pandora a visually stunning place and will fit in perfectly with Animal Kingdom. Can't wait to see what it will be like

RSoxNo1

I tend to keep my own counsel on these matters but I will say this.

Disney is not going to recreate Avatar. You are not going to walk through the movie. Instead you will have an environment inspired by the visuals in the movie, and (to some extent) the message of the movie.

So if you liked the imagery of the movie even if you did not like the movie itself, I would think you should be excited. I mean you do not dislike the Haunted Mansion because the Haunted Mansion movie stunk right?

This is how I viewed it as well. The source material for a themed environment is not the end all and be all for quality. The biggest factor for the source material is the interest in merchandise. If Disney opens up a great $400 million expansion and I'm not compelled to buy any merchandise I think I can live with that.

My concern is the name of this land. Avatarland sounds awful. World of Avatar sounds better. Pandora sounds far and away the best. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. People will make up their own name for things in conversation that will be some form of abbreviation anyway but officially, Pandora sounds much cleaner than the other two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom