AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

DrummerAlly

To be redundant:

I saw Avatar for the first time last night (it had been sitting on my shelf for 2 years). If they go with re-creating the world of Pandora in a post human society, I think this could be an out of this world hit that fits well within the AK park "story". If they try to tell the story of the movie, we're screwed.

I'm just hoping for a Soarin'-plus type ride of those dinosaur looking flying creatures.

Many of you have already said the above, and you are totally correct.

Cosmic Commando

To be redundant:

I saw Avatar for the first time last night (it had been sitting on my shelf for 2 years). If they go with re-creating the world of Pandora in a post human society, I think this could be an out of this world hit that fits well within the AK park "story". If they try to tell the story of the movie, we're screwed.

I'm just hoping for a Soarin'-plus type ride of those dinosaur looking flying creatures.

Many of you have already said the above, and you are totally correct.
To redundantly answer:

James Cameron has been quoted about this project that he knows people were excited more by the idea of exploring Pandora than all of the military stuff. So there is reason for hope. I generally agree with you, although I think some of the human technology will likely show up to make it more do-able for the imagineers.

NoChesterHester

To redundantly answer:

James Cameron has been quoted about this project that he knows people were excited more by the idea of exploring Pandora than all of the military stuff. So there is reason for hope. I generally agree with you, although I think some of the human technology will likely show up to make it more do-able for the imagineers.

I agree. It can be a post-war type human research outpost on Pandora. Then we as explorers could head out on different expeditions into the wilderness. Allows them to have a transition point and some traditional type building and safety measures. Could be fantastic.

Scuttle

I agree. It can be a post-war type human research outpost on Pandora. Then we as explorers could head out on different expeditions into the wilderness. Allows them to have a transition point and some traditional type building and safety measures. Could be fantastic.

I put my money on this.

Cosmic Commando

Gift shop.
Plastic gas masks for kids.
Cash money.
"No, sir, it's not an upcharge for the new Avatar land. You just need the gas mask so you can breathe. To provide an authentic experience, we continuously pump in deadly amounts of chlorine gas. You are welcome to explore the land for free for as long as you can hold your breath."

jt04

To redundantly answer:

What is wrong with the "military stuff"? All of it looks like it would make a great ride. Especially those flying gyro-copter thingies. Think original Kongfrontation and Soarin' mash-up. Yeah, that would work! :D

njDizFan

What is wrong with the "military stuff"? All of it looks like it would make a great ride. Especially those flying gyro-copter thingies. Think original Kongfrontation and Soarin' mash-up. Yeah, that would work! :D
Although the military/hi-tech aspects of the film could make for a pretty cool ride, it just does not mesh with the concept of the park or the underlying theme of the film.

DAK for the most part is lo-tech in theme and atmosphere, more rustic you might say.

And also since DAK and Avatar are about conservation, I just can't see them going in that direction.

jt04

Although the military/hi-tech aspects of the film could make for a pretty cool ride, it just does not mesh with the concept of the park or the underlying theme of the film.

DAK for the most part is lo-tech in theme and atmosphere, more rustic you might say.

And also since DAK and Avatar are about conservation, I just can't see them going in that direction.

Seems like they could create a backstory to make it work. I hope the land is not too 'green' if you get my drift. The so-called science behind climate change is in complete and total shambles on at least 3 fronts. So lets get back to good ol' fun and less 'message' at DAK. imo

Horizonsfan

Seems like they could create a backstory to make it work. I hope the land is not too 'green' if you get my drift. The so-called science behind climate change is in complete and total shambles on at least 3 fronts. So lets get back to good ol' fun and less 'message' at DAK. imo

:dazzle::brick:

Though I'd be shocked if it was prominently displayed throughout, I don't see Cameron and Rohde constructing an entire Avatar land without any mention of protecting nature and sustainability or a variation of that message.

Cosmic Commando

I'm not really opposed to "the military stuff" per se, but I like that bit of the James Cameron interview for two reasons:

1. The conservation/exploration side of the story meshes much better with the rest of DAK.

2. While the battle was cool, it really wasn't the reason Avatar was ridiculously popular. It's refreshing to hear Cameron say that, as opposed to somebody like George Lucas who will tell you exactly why Jar Jar Binks is so great. It makes me feel like Cameron understands the heart of why the movie connected with people, which makes me think he knows what people want in an Avatarland.

RSoxNo1

Does anyone else see the potential irony in the placement of World of Avatar on the Beastly Kingdom plot? The entrance to the land would likely be through the old Pocahontas theater...

RandySavage

Does anyone else see the potential irony in the placement of World of Avatar on the Beastly Kingdom plot? The entrance to the land would likely be through the old Pocahontas theater...

The major irony I find with Avatar (and I have no problem with the addition if animal/nature in theme and well-executed) is that the movie represented something very rare in Hollywood: A huge-budget project, groundbreaking in its technology, with no connection to any established story or property. Big gamble, well-executed, big reward.

In theme parks, such an undertaking is also very rare (big budget, no built-in audience), but in this case a reactionary Disney opted to eschew the Avatar model (of taking a risk and creating something new) by acquiring the rights to make an Avatar-based land.

What will Disney Pictures do when they have no more original rides/lands left to base their movies on... I guess produce remakes...

pax_65

I never thought about the similarities in the two stories until now. Right down to Grandma Willow/Tree of Souls.

Everything old is new again!

Bairstow

Avatar_The_Reckoning_by_nandomendonssa.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom