Avatar Flight of Passage reviews, comments and questions

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Wish I could have ridden more than twice so I could better compare the various vantage points.

Personal opinion... I thought the bottom row was the best, though (at least from my experience) it seems that row is only being filled for FastPass (at least every time I rode with Fast Pass, I was in the bottom row, and every time I rode without a FastPass, I was in either the middle or top row... may have just been coincidence... and I had 5 total rides). I feel like there are several points in the ride where your banshee is supposed to be landing or at least grabbing onto something and I felt the visuals matched up much better with the sensation of "landing" when you were on the bottom row (especially at the very end of the ride and in the cave).

nor'easter

I have. In short since it's 3am and my body thinks it's 10pm, it's good. Not ground breaking. Not earth shattering. And nowhere near the best thing since sliced bread.
Had exactly the same reaction. It's an E tkt, but nowhere near the best E tkt attraction out there. Too much time spent trying to explain the "Avatar" concept...didn't give a damn, which I think is the fundamental problem with the whole area. The movie hasn't entered the cultural consciousness like Potter, Indiana Jones or Star Wars.

JustInTime

I have. In short since it's 3am and my body thinks it's 10pm, it's good. Not ground breaking. Not earth shattering. And nowhere near the best thing since sliced bread.
I certainly thought it was incredible. The best thing built in Orlando in a decade. Including Potter (I have a HP tattoo If that tells you anything).

The Empress Lilly

Great queue, fantastic presentation, fun ride, but not that much better than Fallon. *ducks for the rotten tomatoes*

I do like the subject matter and the idea of flying over Pandora's moon on a Banshee. But for me FoP doesn't match the excitement of ST and the feeling of being up in the air of Soarin', but is a good addition to these two. Over time my opinion may develop. Soarin' 1 I liked better over time, Soarin' 2 a bit less. Maybe I'll get really into FoP after a few more rides.

ChrisM

Really enjoyed it but I wasn't completely blown away. A great ride for sure.

What stood out most for me is that it was far more intense than I was led to believe.

yeti

The land does look gorgeous. It doesn't suffer of style over substance as much as NFL, but I did come off Passage looking for the main anchor attraction.
This to me is the essential weakness of FoP: it's a good-great ride depending on your point of view, but not great enough to anchor a whole land. If it was instead just an excellent sideshow then people wouldn't be as critical of it (or as laudatory).

djkidkaz

The land does look gorgeous. It doesn't suffer of style over substance as much as NFL, but I did come off Passage looking for the main anchor attraction.

That’s your opinion and your entitled to that but it definitely puts into perspective how to take your thoughts / opinions in the future. How anyone could come off that attraction and be like “Where is the headliner for this area?!” seems ludicrous to me.

djkidkaz

And I think it’s funny that not a single person has stated prior to Martin revealing his opinion that the ride was just ho-hum, but now we already have three.

The power of persuasion folks, there you have it.

nor'easter

And I think it’s funny that not a single person has stated prior to Martin revealing his opinion that the ride was just ho-hum, but now we already have three.

Not true...several people have expressed similar opinions earlier. And I don't think anyone said it was "ho-hum".
The power of exaggeration, folks....

RSoxNo1

Are you able to separate some of your knowledge of the 3rd attraction when experiencing the land? Honest question because I've run into problems like that when experiencing attractions. Wondering "What could have been".

For my wife and I, Kilimanjaro Safaris is our favorite attraction in DAK. For her, Flight of Passage is ahead of Everest. For me, it's a toss up. It's a very good ride and I think it satisfied the need for the land as an appropriate anchor.

I'm definitely not as hard on Na'vi River Journey as Martin, but my expectations were "Fantasyland dark ride" level. It definitely could be better, but I'd wait 20 minutes for it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are you able to separate some of your knowledge of the 3rd attraction when experiencing the land? Honest question because I've run into problems like that when experiencing attractions. Wondering "What could have been"..
It was a surprising feeling. It was one without thinking of the planned third attraction, more that there should be a headliner to go to after riding. Passage set me up for it.

Casper Gutman

Part of it may be persuasion. I'd suggest that more of it is the power of peer pressure - the consensus on these boards has been that FoP is an earthshaking masterpiece, and people who disagree have tended to be shouted down, discouraging those who feel similarly from posting. Your comments about Marni - that his opinion of FoP changes your opinion of him and his thoughts and that you find his opinion ludicrous - is a microcosm of this.

Now that Marni, one of the (very rightfully) most respected posters here, has given a less then hyperbolicly positive review, the dam has broken and people will feel a bit more comfortable being critical of the attraction.

This is a very recognizable pattern. Reviews of anything new on a fan board will always tend to be very positive. This will last for as long as a year, at which point more measured assessments will start to appear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom