News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

TheDisneyParksfanC8

My gut says they'd use HWL for something like Zootopia because it'd be an easier redo rather than Pandora but who knows. And honestly something like Zootopia probably would fit better given the cityscape look to the area anyways, but that is just my opinion.

But yeah I've always thought outside of the FL/TL area between subs/autopia and motorboat area (which is give or take ~8 acres), that DLForward is where Pandora makes the most sense.
As for what does replace Hollywoodland in due time assuming it's not Avatar, Zootopia could work if they want to bring it to the US. But it may also be a more catch all area theme wise. Another option I am wondering about and some have speculated is somehow expanding Marvel in that direction with a new show in the Hyperion and wrapping around into Hollywoodland.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As for what does replace Hollywoodland in due time assuming it's not Avatar, Zootopia could work if they want to bring it to the US. But it may also be a more catch all area theme wise. Another option I am wondering about and some have speculated is somehow expanding Marvel in that direction with a new show in the Hyperion and wrapping around into Hollywoodland.
Going back years ago Micechat had speculated for HWL to be expanded with Marvel. That obviously so far had gone nowhere.

Beyond the general speculation I don't think there is any good indication of where Disney's thought is on the topic.

Professortango1

If they put it in Hollywood backlot / eastern gateway expansion space they would keep the facades on Hollywood Blvd to Keep the illusion of it being a street leads to the Hyperion. Then in the backlot they could build it up slowly. I’m not imagining the Jungle right behind the Hollywood facades. I’m picturing a path and transition that builds as you go deeper into the expansion space. They can also close off that entrance into Backlot (closest to the fake sky backdrop) and build up a a facade there as well to block views of Pandora.
That's still pretty weird. That's like having Big Thunder replace Space Mountain. Just a random natural element plopped in the middle of a city environment.

Professortango1

It’s really not a hot take. Definitely fits better thematically. Since DCA has turned into a hodge podge of IP, some of which have nothing to do with California, I’d rather have it go in DCA than inside the berm at Disneyland with all the potential things that can go wrong. You can also argue that Pandora fits better in DCA as DCA doesn’t really have a theme anymore. It’s California Adventure in name only outside of Grizzly Peak and BVS.
Its still pretty California focused, just Six-Flags-a-fied.

You have Buena Vista St and Hollywoodland as literal California, Avenger's Campus is set within California as a cheap shoehorn, Pixar Pier is a tacky IP-plastered version of a California boardwalk amusement park, Grizzly Peak Recreation Area is themed to the California wilderness, and Radiator Springs is a mild stretch with Route 66 and the California desert, even if the city is outside of California.

But Avatar....not sure how that fits the park. Its either the "set" of Avatar, which is an idea that faded away decades ago because it didn't work, or we have a random alien jungle plopped down in the middle of this California-themed park.

But, given this management's mishandling of the parks and the artistic fundamentals that set Disney apart, I wouldn't be surprised if we got Avatar at DCA. Heck, I wouldn't put it past them to retheme Pirates to Navi River Journey.

mickEblu

Its still pretty California focused, just Six-Flags-a-fied.

You have Buena Vista St and Hollywoodland as literal California, Avenger's Campus is set within California as a cheap shoehorn, Pixar Pier is a tacky IP-plastered version of a California boardwalk amusement park, Grizzly Peak Recreation Area is themed to the California wilderness, and Radiator Springs is a mild stretch with Route 66 and the California desert, even if the city is outside of California.

But Avatar....not sure how that fits the park. Its either the "set" of Avatar, which is an idea that faded away decades ago because it didn't work, or we have a random alien jungle plopped down in the middle of this California-themed park.

But, given this management's mishandling of the parks and the artistic fundamentals that set Disney apart, I wouldn't be surprised if we got Avatar at DCA. Heck, I wouldn't put it past them to retheme Pirates to Navi River Journey.

Avengers Campus could be anywhere. California isn’t the only place that has piers. There’s nothing distinctly Californian about Pixar Pier especially now that it’s been Pixarfied. Radiator Springs is Arizona. The wharf was even recently downgraded to being less California. Hollywoodland lost its anchor and is on borrowed time. Why do we have to do mental gymnastics to make the park fits its original theme? Disney moved on.

Avatar makes as much sense at DCA as Mission Breakout. That thing we can see from everywhere.

With all of that said I hope BVS and Grizzly Peak don’t go anywhere. Primarily because they are great lands but it’s also nice to have that little homage to California and the parks original theme.

mickEblu

That's still pretty weird. That's like having Big Thunder replace Space Mountain. Just a random natural element plopped in the middle of a city environment.

Yeah I see what you mean but it can be done. The transition just needs to be well thought out. Is it really any weirder than the Matterhorn next to a lagoon with Submarines?

D.Silentu

All this concern about size, thematic transition and visual intrusion are further valid reasons why this ought to be the first indoor land at the Disneyland Resort. I'd rather forced perspective floating mountains inside, than outdoor ones that would rival the Matterhorn in height.

mickEblu

All this concern about size, thematic transition and visual intrusion are further valid reasons why this ought to be the first indoor land at the Disneyland Resort. I'd rather forced perspective floating mountains inside, than outdoor ones that would rival the Matterhorn in height.

The floating mountains are as tall as the Matterhorn?

D.Silentu

I may have exaggerated on that point, as I have never seen Avatar land in person. However, according to the conversation it sounds like visual intrusion is a point of concern. I just mean to advocate that building an indoor, self contained Avatar land would eliminate those issues and have the potential to be more visually compelling due to the controlled environment.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Avengers Campus could be anywhere. California isn’t the only place that has piers. There’s nothing distinctly Californian about Pixar Pier especially now that it’s been Pixarfied. Radiator Springs is Arizona. The wharf was even recently downgraded to being less California. Hollywoodland lost its anchor and is on borrowed time. Why do we have to do mental gymnastics to make the park fits its original theme? Disney moved on.

Avatar makes as much sense at DCA as Mission Breakout. That thing we can see from everywhere.

With all of that said I hope BVS and Grizzly Peak don’t go anywhere. Primarily because they are great lands but it’s also nice to have that little homage to California and the parks original theme.
Hopefully they get to work on HL once the Avengers E ticket opens. But my guess is any revamp to HL won't be until 2030 at the earliest.

mickEblu

Hopefully they get to work on HL once the Avengers E ticket opens. But my guess is any revamp to HL won't be until 2030 at the earliest.

I dunno. It’s hard to guess when Disney doesn’t even know. Not sure why Iger would even mention something that was 6-8 years out from being finished unless things changed.

mickEblu

Just googled it , floating mountains are approx 10 feet taller than Matterhorn , 156ft tall

Wow had no idea. Yeah just put the damn thing in DCA Forward. Although, the floating mountains don’t HAVE to be part of the land especially if they re basing this version off the sequel. Also, would it be the worst thing in the world seeing those floating mountains around the resort? I mean, we got used to the eyesore that is the Collectors Fortress.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I may have exaggerated on that point, as I have never seen Avatar land in person. However, according to the conversation it sounds like visual intrusion is a point of concern. I just mean to advocate that building an indoor, self contained Avatar land would eliminate those issues and have the potential to be more visually compelling due to the controlled environment.

True but at that point I’d just rather have it as part of DCA Forward.

D.Silentu

True but at that point I’d just rather have it as part of DCA Forward.
It definitely would afford the room to build it out as they have in Florida. That being said, I'd really rather the lion's share of that space be devoted to something besides Avatar. Much like the Tron coaster, I don't think it jives with the parks in Anaheim . Both are large just for the sake of it, because the space available where they have been built allows for that.

Last edited:

mickEblu

It definitely would afford the room to build it out as they have in Florida. That being said, I'd really rather the lion's share of that space be devoted to something besides Avatar. Much like the Tron coaster, I don't think it jives with the parks in Anaheim . Both are large just for the sake of it, because the space available where they have been built allows for that.

I can appreciate this take. I definitely see the value in using the bulk of that real estate for something else or just something unique. With that said, Pandora sounds better than the other lands du jour like Zootopia, Moana, Frozen and Toy Story Land.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The current DL forward plans for the DCA have lots of thrill rides and the map also appears to have a lot of mountains. Maybe that could be a hint that Avatar will go to DCA in its DL Forward plot.
There are no official "plans" for DLForward other than some vague renderings that given indications of potential things they could do. So don't fall into the trap of thinking that anything released so far is some actual plan. Even that rendering that show sound impact is not a "plan".

DLForward is still very much just about getting zoning changes from Anaheim. Only once that is done and settled will some real "plans" start being formed on the future of any expansions. Until then its all just Blue Sky speculation town.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

There are no official "plans" for DLForward other than some vague renderings that given indications of potential things they could do. So don't fall into the trap of thinking that anything released so far is some actual plan. Even that rendering that show sound impact is not a "plan".

DLForward is still very much just about getting zoning changes from Anaheim. Only once that is done and settled will some real "plans" start being formed on the future of any expansions. Until then its all just Blue Sky speculation town.
Another point Is that the DCA side for DL Forward has a couple of outdoor family ride that but up against those neighborhoods behind the Simba lot. I was of the belief that any attractions built in the DCA Forward spot would be all indoor rides because of the said residential areas behind it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom