News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

Consumer

I doubt it. This is either a land going to the Hollywood backlot/ Bus transpo area or if they’re indeed referring to it as an “experience” again it could be as small as a 3D show in the Philharmagic theatre.
Until there's more information available, this is my suspicion. Disney is in no position to be making any major financial investments right now.

mickEblu

Until there's more information available, this is my suspicion. Disney is in no position to be making any major financial investments right now.

Right and to make things more confusing we have to take everything they say with a grain of salt now considering the approach they’ve taken “announcing” projects the last couple D23/ Destination D events.

Not to mention the possibility that they may be teasing this Avatar thing just to get people talking about something positive regardless of how small an experience or far into the future it may be. Aside from Tiana which is a mixed bag they really have nothing to talk about in the short-medium term future when it comes to the parks.

Last edited:

TheDisneyParksfanC8

My thoughts exactly. That’ll be DCA‘s Foward Addition
I doubt it. This is either a land going to the Hollywood backlot/ Bus transpo area or if they’re indeed referring to it as an “experience” again it could be as small as a 3D show in the Philharmagic theatre.
DL Forward needs to get approved for anything to take over Hollywoodland and the transportation hub as you would need to move the monorail beam for said expansion to happen. I suspect Avatar would go in Hollywoodland as I see that area getting addressed long before they touch the Simba lot for DCA's DL forward plot

mickEblu

DL Forward needs to get approved for anything to take over Hollywoodland and the transportation hub as you would need to move the monorail beam for said expansion to happen. I suspect Avatar would go in Hollywoodland as I see that area getting addressed long before they touch the Simba lot for DCA's DL forward plot

I don’t believe DL Forward has anything to do with with Eastern Gateway/ bus transpo area. That land is is already zoned for them to do whatever they want from what I understand but I could be wrong. They city may need to approve the other parts of the project concerning the businesses on Harbor and how people will access Disneyland but that’s has nothing to do with DL forward.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t believe DL Forward has anything to do with with Eastern Gateway/ bus transpo area. That land is is already zoned for them to do whatever they want from what I understand but I could be wrong. They city may need to approve the other parts of the project concerning the businesses on Harbor and how people will access Disneyland but that’s has nothing to do with DL forward.
Eastern Gateway never got fully approved. So they rolled it into DLForward. So no they can't just do whatever they want. In order to move forward with using the Transportation Hub for expansion they first must move the existing drop offs to the Manchester location. In order to do that they need the bridge as that would put too much foot traffic trying to cross at Harbor, something that Anaheim is trying to prevent.

DLForward should be going up for approval after the new year and if approved I suspect we'll get quick starts on the Eastern Gateway section of the project.

DavidDL

My gut tells me we'll be saying goodbye to Grizzly Peak for some kind of Avatar transformation. Which would be gut-wrenching. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm mentally prepared for the worst and will need to get in a handful of visits to, and lots of photos of, the area sometime soon. Just in case.

mickEblu

My gut tells me we'll be saying goodbye to Grizzly Peak for some kind of Avatar transformation. Which would be gut-wrenching. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm mentally prepared for the worst and will need to get in a handful of visits to, and lots of photos of, the area sometime soon. Just in case.

I wouldn’t worry. They’re in no place to spend hundreds of millions to NOT add capacity.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

People on Twitter are concerned Grizzly Peak's getting the axe for the new Avatar thing and honestly I don't see them doing that, but then again they've made stupider decisions before.
This could be good if they gut the Backlot and start from scratch.

This could be very meh if they decide to make Soarin' Over Pandora and the Na'vi Whitewater Adventure.
I am hoping Hollywoodland goes the way of the dodo bird for Avatar. once you demo that whole land and the transportation hub that should be plenty of space for some form of Avatar land. Out Peter Sciretta who is the founder of Slashfilm said on X he heard Hollywoodland is earmarked for future Marvel expansion.

denyuntilcaught

Its this:

It will go into the soundstage where the Avengers Superstore was.

This isn't a 'forever' solution.
Nor do I think this is what the big to-do is. If this comes to DCA, to your point this isn't the solution, if anything its to gauge reaction. Much of the to-do is Disney saying the experience will be "as amazing as" the WDW build.

So I agree with others that it'll be very much the DCA Forward expansion in the form of an actual land.

Kamikaze

Nor do I think this is what the big to-do is. If this comes to DCA, to your point this isn't the solution, if anything its to gauge reaction. Much of the to-do is Disney saying the experience will be "as amazing as" the WDW build.

So I agree with others that it'll be very much the DCA Forward expansion in the form of an actual land.
This announcement is definitely the Singapore thing.

If they build something later for Disneyland Forward? Sure. But this isn't that.

mickEblu

Whatever it is, it’s impossible for any of these attractions to live up to expectations for people like us. I’ve been around long enough now to realize this. Starts in the rumor phase for a good year or more until it’s announced with very little detail. Then details are slowly released over the next 4 years. Meanwhile we analyze and discuss the heck of every little detail we have in conjunction with any visible construction.

By the time we ride the damn thing it’s just impossible to live up to expectations. Not to say we’re the problem but it definitely doesn’t help to be consuming rumors/ news at the rate we do. With that said, I’ve seen enough Galaxies Edges, Avengers Campuses and Runaway Railways to know none of these new rides will be POTC or HM or Splash Mountain. In short, we already have arguably the best theme park in the world in our backyard. Whatever they add won’t really be better than what we already have. So I’m not sure why it’s worthy of so much of my time. Especially when it will most likely lead to disappointment or be a mixed bag. And that’s if the DONT cheap out! Lol.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom