News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

Alanzo

The Tomorrow of Tomorrowland has come and gone. Avatar is the new tomorrow that'll never come. I'm happy if they find a way to square this circle.

truecoat

I'm happy I wasn't the only one who caught the "No Comment" comment, or non-comment, or no comment non-comment, from Bob on that last earning's call regarding selling the entire company to Apple. Or someone else.

Something is up. Or could be up. Or will be up. That's for sure. :cool:

An Apple purchase would be great but I would suspect that the parks division would be sold off by Apple. If they sold the parks division to the Oriental Land Company, that would be tremendous.

celluloid

The Tomorrow of Tomorrowland has come and gone. Avatar is the new tomorrow that'll never come. I'm happy if they find a way to square this circle.

Not enough money or care to make it something more akin to 1994 where Avatar fits in, but that would fit.

celluloid

Daigon Alley is pretty awesome, but I agree the 1 ride in the land is a huge letdown. The land itself is pretty spectacular though.

And it features Live Entertainment and minor experiences that are not behind a paywall.

When I think about it, I can't honestly say Smuggler's run makes Galaxy's Edge more awesome. I would have rather of just had Rise of the Resistance work like it is supposed to and the minor things in the land have more like Diagon did.

I think Diagon is somewhat forgiveable/easy to swallow due to immersion level and Hogsmeade being being cram full of nothing less than good to great for most. I don't love Escape From Gringotts as a ride, but it is the third E ticket for Potter among multiple attractions.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

An Apple purchase would be great but I would suspect that the parks division would be sold off by Apple. If they sold the parks division to the Oriental Land Company, that would be tremendous.
You never know, Apple could be interested in purchasing the parks. I mean at first no one though that Comcast would want the Universal parks but they did and it has done wonders for Universal. Either way regardless of whether Apple wants the parks division or not, I hope new management of however gets the parks will A. invest more in new attractions and B. speed up construction timelines.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

That area makes the most sense in terms of unused space. That entire back section is empty soundstages, and a dark ride worth losing.
Considering how by the time they get to building this hypothetical Avatar land, I wonder if they will incorporate elements from the sequel into the land vs giving us the exact attractions from Animal Kingdom. Like would a D ticket dark ride go in the spot of the Sunset Theater? Or could they fit something like Navi River Journey back there?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Professortango1

Considering how by the time they get to building this hypothetical Avatar land, I wonder if they will incorporate elements from the sequel into the land vs giving us the exact attractions from Animal Kingdom. Like would a D ticket dark ride go in the spot of the Sunset Theater? Or could they fit something like Navi River Journey back there?
I just don't see how it would work well. It would be smaller. They don't want to get rid of the Hyperion, so it's will just be this random mountain range and jungle next to the Carthay and Hollywood Blvd. Not to mention that the land doesn't fit California unless we are visiting the "set" of the film. Just bad ideas all around

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I just don't see how it would work well. It would be smaller. They don't want to get rid of the Hyperion, so it's will just be this random mountain range and jungle next to the Carthay and Hollywood Blvd. Not to mention that the land doesn't fit California unless we are visiting the "set" of the film. Just bad ideas all around
It would just take over the backlot portion. And who knows, maybe Disney plans on rebranding DCA down the line.

PiratesMansion

I really don't see Avatar being the answer to Hollywoodland's woes.

To me, what they need to do is pretty straightforward: make the land suck less. Make the facades more detailed. Build a headlining, thematically appropriate attraction.

Tomorrowland might have the "overlapping infrastructure" excuse putting a stop to a more comprehensive refurb, but Hollywood does not. They haven't even tried to make it better, and perhaps they should before just gutting/working around the good parts of the area (Animation, Hyperion) and making the park worse in the process.

If Avatar is going to be present in a major way, it needs to be a new build in a new area that doesn't affect anything already there. They have study after study saying they need to add capacity to their parks, so let's see them actually doing that instead of just replacing things that are fine and putting a new hot property where it doesn't belong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom