News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

D.Silentu

I just don't see how it would work well. It would be smaller. They don't want to get rid of the Hyperion, so it's will just be this random mountain range and jungle next to the Carthay and Hollywood Blvd.
If Avatar is to placed in Hollywoodland, or California Adventure, a different approach is certainly warranted. I can't recall where the idea came from, be it mine or other, but a large scale indoor experience would be best. Planet Pandora is a hyperrealistic environment and while the land at Animal Kingdom makes an admirable attempt at recreating it, from what I've observed it doesn't seem truly alien. In an indoor land you could better represent the environment, with controlled lighting, sonic ambiance, and artificial foliage unlike anything on earth. Setting it perpetually in the evening only makes sense as that is when it looks the most fantastic. No matter where they decide to build the Avatar experience, I would be less enthusiastic about a reproduction of the Florida land while there is a more immersive way to bring the film's world to life.

mickEblu

If Avatar is to placed in Hollywoodland, or California Adventure, a different approach is certainly warranted. I can't recall where the idea came from, be it mine or other, but a large scale indoor experience would be best. Planet Pandora is a hyperrealistic environment and while the land at Animal Kingdom makes an admirable attempt at recreating it, from what I've observed it doesn't seem truly alien. In an indoor land you could better represent the environment, with controlled lighting, sonic ambiance, and artificial foliage unlike anything on earth. Setting it perpetually in the evening only makes sense as that is when it looks the most fantastic. No matter where they decide to build the Avatar experience, I would be less enthusiastic about a reproduction of the Florida land while there is a more immersive way to bring the film's world to life.

An indoor land is an intriguing idea and could work if Pandora was to be set in a perma-nighttime setting. Day time would look too artificial IMO. With that said it wouldn’t be my preference and it could also end up looking like the ceiling inside the RSR show building.

If Pandora is going into Hollywoodland, which has always been my guess/ hope you have to assume it’s getting part of that Eastern Gateway land. I think the facades on Hollywood Blvd stay and the Hyperion and Animation Building both stick around or are used as AC expansion plots in the future. I also think the old muppets theatre sticks around as the last indoor 3D theatre after Tomorrowlands is eventually demoed. I think something like the Sci Fi Dine in there could be a huge moneymaker.

Id imagine Pandora to look something like this. Would that not be enough room? The only sacrifice would be Monsters Inc. The rest is underutilized or unused space.

E40A515D-C1D4-45E5-8160-BCFF8C716B91.jpeg

Last edited:

D.Silentu

I don't have an eye for spatial planning, but the area you hilighted makes sense and looks to be sufficient enough to include both the land and an attraction at least.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

An indoor land is an intriguing idea and could work if Pandora was to be set in a perma-nighttime setting. Day time would look too artificial IMO. With that said it wouldn’t be my preference and it could also end up looking like the ceiling inside the RSR show building.

If Pandora is going into Hollywoodland, which has always been my guess/ hope you have to assume it’s getting part of that Eastern Gateway land. I think the facades on Hollywood Blvd stay and the Hyperion and Animation Building both stick around or are used as AC expansion plots in the future. I also think the old muppets theatre sticks around as the last indoor 3D theatre after Tomorrowlands is eventually demoed. I think something like the Sci Fi Dine in there could be a huge moneymaker.

Id imagine Pandora to look something like this. Would that not be enough room? The only sacrifice would be Monsters Inc. The rest is underutilized or unused space.

.View attachment 752724
I don't have an eye for spatial planning, but the area you hilighted makes sense and looks to be sufficient enough to include both the land and an attraction at least.
Another option is to have Avatar also take over the area with the Sunset theater and demo it for some sort of trackless family exclusive to DLR. then with the area with Monsters that buts up to the transportation Hub you could include something like Navi River Journey an FOP

mlayton144

Hot Take: Avatar fits better in Disneyland than DCA

I’m having a hard time seeing Avatar fitting anywhere at DLR (expansion or not) , there just isn’t room to isolate such a natural/organic place from the hustle/bustle of the whole resort area unless they create some giant warehouse with virtual experiences as another poster suggested if we are just talking a ride instead of a new land

Andrew25

I’m having a hard time seeing Avatar fitting anywhere at DLR (expansion or not) , there just isn’t room to isolate such a natural/organic place from the hustle/bustle of the whole resort area unless they create some giant warehouse with virtual experiences as another poster suggested if we are just talking a ride instead of a new land

I see it difficult to see as well, but it just doesn't fit DCA at all. If you think about it, it fits somewhat decent in between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland, not because of the space back there, but because of its blend/use of technology and fantasy worlds.

mickEblu

Hot Take: Avatar fits better in Disneyland than DCA

It’s really not a hot take. Definitely fits better thematically. Since DCA has turned into a hodge podge of IP, some of which have nothing to do with California, I’d rather have it go in DCA than inside the berm at Disneyland with all the potential things that can go wrong. You can also argue that Pandora fits better in DCA as DCA doesn’t really have a theme anymore. It’s California Adventure in name only outside of Grizzly Peak and BVS.

Last edited:

mickEblu

If they put it in Hollywood backlot / eastern gateway expansion space they would keep the facades on Hollywood Blvd to Keep the illusion of it being a street leads to the Hyperion. Then in the backlot they could build it up slowly. I’m not imagining the Jungle right behind the Hollywood facades. I’m picturing a path and transition that builds as you go deeper into the expansion space. They can also close off that entrance into Backlot (closest to the fake sky backdrop) and build up a a facade there as well to block views of Pandora.

Vegas Disney Fan

They could just make it look like a prop like they did Star Tours at HS. Make the front mountains and leave the back exposed, suddenly it “fits” in Hollywood land.

mlayton144

If they put it in Hollywood backlot / eastern gateway expansion space they would keep the facades on Hollywood Blvd to Keep the illusion of it being a street leads to the Hyperion. Then in the backlot they could build it up slowly. I’m not imagining the Jungle right behind the Hollywood facades. I’m picturing a path and transition that builds as you go deeper into the expansion space. They can also close off that entrance into Backlot (closest to the fake sky backdrop) and build up a a facade there as well to block views of Pandora.
Having a hard time imagining this since being the east coast I don’t visit that often , if you were to try to relate the size available with the eastern gateway included , what would you compare it to vs an existing land? Remember this space would have to include all egress/ingress for both guests and staff, the attractions themselves with needed setbacks to sell/frame the theme , logistics, etc. I assume you are referring to a mini land vs something like exists in animal kingdom.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I agree it fits better in DL, but I don't want it in DL proper. I'd prefer it across the street in the DLF project. Wouldn't be difficult to make a length transition from the CC dead end over to the new land across Disneyland Dr.

Not a fan of it being in HL backlot. I don't see them having enough room to make a good transition. It would be like Hogsmead at USH. Too abrupt and you can see each area from the other. Needs to be tucked away like Galaxy's Edge where you can't really see it from anywhere else.

mickEblu

I agree it fits better in DL, but I don't want it in DL proper. I'd prefer it across the street in the DLF project. Wouldn't be difficult to make a length transition from the CC dead end over to the new land across Disneyland Dr.

Not a fan of it being in HL backlot. I don't see them having enough room to make a good transition. It would be like Hogsmead at USH. Too abrupt and you can see each area from the other. Needs to be tucked away like Galaxy's Edge where you can't really see it from anywhere else.

In a perfect world (timing and faith in the company to not mess with DL anymore than they have) this would be the ideal scenario. Assuming however they don’t want to wait for DL Forward to bring Avatar to DLR then I think the backlot/ Eastern Gateway expansion is the best spot. I think there should be enough room there to do it right.

mickEblu

Having a hard time imagining this since being the east coast I don’t visit that often , if you were to try to relate the size available with the eastern gateway included , what would you compare it to vs an existing land? Remember this space would have to include all egress/ingress for both guests and staff, the attractions themselves with needed setbacks to sell/frame the theme , logistics, etc. I assume you are referring to a mini land vs something like exists in animal kingdom.

I’m just going off my minds eye and how much space I think you have between the backlot, all the unused buildings and the bus transpo/ eastern gateway expansion area. Hard for me to compare it with an existing land especially when you throw in the bus transpo area which is an area I don’t frequent often. I could be wrong but I thought someone did one of those google earth size comparisons and it wasn’t far off. I haven’t been to Pandora so maybe I’m not realizing how big it is? But I did take a look at the map and the land doesn’t seem very big in videos.

mlayton144

I’m just going off my minds eye and how much space I think you have between the backlot, all the unused buildings and the bus transpo/ eastern gateway expansion area. Hard for me to compare it with an existing land especially when you throw in the bus transpo area which is an area I don’t frequent often. I could be wrong but I thought someone did one of those google earth size comparisons and it wasn’t far off. I haven’t been to Pandora so maybe I’m not realizing how big it is? But I did take a look at the map and the land doesn’t seem very big in videos.

I want to say it’s approx 13 acres , but the empty wooded land around it is probably another 13 acres (except the parking lot adjacent on one side)

mickEblu

I want to say it’s approx 13 acres , but the empty wooded land around it is probably another 13 acres (except the parking lot adjacent on one side)

Just did a Google Earth comparison. Looks like Pandora is a little over 10 acres while the land in question at DCA is about 6.5 acres. So it would have to be smaller. I can get it to 8.5 acres when I add the Hyperion and get a little more liberal by including more of the bus transpo area.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If you don't include Hyperion, I believe HWL and the Transportation Hub is give or take ~6 acres depending on where you mark out for the bridge and walkway. Also don't forget you lose a bit with the Monorail as non-usable space.

I don't think that is enough to properly do a clone of Pandora is that was what they were thinking. Maybe they'd do a mini-land, with some light theming instead.

mickEblu

If you don't include Hyperion, I believe HWL and the Transportation Hub is give or take ~6 acres depending on where you mark out for the bridge and walkway. Also don't forget you lose a bit with the Monorail as non-usable space.

I don't think that is enough to properly do a clone of Pandora is that was what they were thinking. Maybe they'd do a mini-land, with some light theming instead.

Yeah just used Google Earth for the first time haha. Sounds like Pandora would make more sense as part of DL Forward… if they re willing to wait. With that said they can make it work especially if they include the Hyperion. Any land that goes back there in the backlot is going to need a proper transition whether it’s a jungle or something else so they may as well add whatever moves the needle the most. I’d rather transition to the Jungle than something “easier” like Zootopia land.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah just used Google Earth for the first time haha. Sounds like Pandora would make more sense as part of DL Forward… if they re willing to wait. With that said they can make it work especially if they include the Hyperion. Any land that goes back there in the backlot is going to need a proper transition whether it’s a jungle or something else so they may as well add whatever moves the needle the most. I’d rather transition to the Jungle than something “easier” like Zootopia land.
My gut says they'd use HWL for something like Zootopia because it'd be an easier redo rather than Pandora but who knows. And honestly something like Zootopia probably would fit better given the cityscape look to the area anyways, but that is just my opinion.

But yeah I've always thought outside of the FL/TL area between subs/autopia and motorboat area (which is give or take ~8 acres), that DLForward is where Pandora makes the most sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom