News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Another point Is that the DCA side for DL Forward has a couple of outdoor family ride that but up against those neighborhoods behind the Simba lot. I was of the belief that any attractions built in the DCA Forward spot would be all indoor rides because of the said residential areas behind it.
Don't take any of that seriously, its all just renderings to show potential sound impact nothing more. There is no "there must be an indoor ride here" section of any of those plots of land. Its literally just saying if we put x type of ride there will be this amount of sound emitted. That is all.

Nothing is set in stone. Its all just vague renderings for a reason.

Professortango1

Avengers Campus could be anywhere. California isn’t the only place that has piers. There’s nothing distinctly Californian about Pixar Pier especially now that it’s been Pixarfied. Radiator Springs is Arizona. The wharf was even recently downgraded to being less California. Hollywoodland lost its anchor and is on borrowed time. Why do we have to do mental gymnastics to make the park fits its original theme? Disney moved on.

Avatar makes as much sense at DCA as Mission Breakout. That thing we can see from everywhere.

With all of that said I hope BVS and Grizzly Peak don’t go anywhere. Primarily because they are great lands but it’s also nice to have that little homage to California and the parks original theme.
You can argue it's diluted, but the design is still very much tied to the original California themed park. It's not themed to movies or a concept of emotion. The thing that unifies it all is still California.

Mission BO bent over backwards to explain that the Fortress landed in the park, even having Rocket point out seeing Disneyland. I don't love it, but they are still trying to make California work.

Unless Pandora breaks apart and lands in California or we have a California space shuttle that takes us to Pandora, it's a weird leap for the park.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

You can argue it's diluted, but the design is still very much tied to the original California themed park. It's not themed to movies or a concept of emotion. The thing that unifies it all is still California.

Mission BO bent over backwards to explain that the Fortress landed in the park, even having Rocket point out seeing Disneyland. I don't love it, but they are still trying to make California work.

Unless Pandora breaks apart and lands in California or we have a California space shuttle that takes us to Pandora, it's a weird leap for the park.
DCA needs more things than DL and is what would the main focus of DL forward. If Disney still cares about the Cali themes of DCA, then put Avatar in DL park. Plus I would rather see HL be used for either an Avengers Campus expansion or some other IP entirely. Especially one with family dark rides.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

BAM! An Unobtanium explosion causes a portal to open from Pandora to inside DCA, its still tied to the CA theme that some of you still cling to.

Or Disney buys the game company Valve and has a cross IP promotion where Tony Stark develops a new version of the Portal Gun at Avengers Campus from the game Portal and opens a portal to Pandora, still tied to the CA theme that some of you still cling to. As a benefit Portal gets a Disney IP release as part of the promotion allowing you to travel to different Disney IP universe's inside the game. Its a win-win-win for everyone!

mickEblu

I’d say what unifies the park is the hodge podge of lands/ IP that don’t fit at Disneyland.

They re trying to make California work because they came up with a lame back story during the TOT backlash to justify the presence of an alien tower? I’d say the mere presence of the 13 story alien tower means they re not trying to make California work. The only thing they re trying to make work is leveraging as much IP as possible whether it has anything to do with California or not.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’d say what unifies the park is the hodge podge of lands/ IP that don’t fit at Disneyland.

They re trying to make California work because they came up with a lame back story during the TOT backlash to justify the presence of an alien tower? I’d say the mere presence of the 13 story alien tower means they re not trying to make California work. The only thing they re trying to make work is leveraging as much IP as possible whether it has anything to do with California or not.
Disney California Etcetura!

Professortango1

So bending over backwards to justify the alien tower proves that they don't care about tying things to the park?

If they didn't care, they would have just put it in there. And had Avengers Campus feel like any actual Marvel locale instead of a generic California industrial area

mickEblu

So bending over backwards to justify the alien tower proves that they don't care about tying things to the park?

If they didn't care, they would have just put it in there. And had Avengers Campus feel like any actual Marvel locale instead of a generic California industrial area

If they cared they wouldn’t re-theme the tallest structure (HOLLYWOOD Tower of Terror) in the entire park (and resort) to something that has nothing to do with California.

I guess I don’t understand why you’re placing more value on some words they wrote in a parks blog once than the money/time/energy they spent retheming the Hollywood Tower of Terror to an Alien fortress.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Why do we care what the backstory line is that marketing wrote up in park blog? On average there is like one guy wondering around Disneyland right now annoying people in line about the "made up backstories" of the rides and how "thematically inconsistent" they are. Don't be THAT guy.

Professortango1

Why do we care what the backstory line is that marketing wrote up in park blog? On average there is like one guy wondering around Disneyland right now annoying people in line about the "made up backstories" of the rides and how "thematically inconsistent" they are. Don't be THAT guy.
I don't go off of lore or website copy, I just go off of what is presented in the parks itself.

For me, the parks success has always been tied to visual storytelling and creating immersive storytelling. Its why I am a fan of Disney and how well they accomplish such storytelling will always be how I gauge the park and my enjoyment. If I just wanted fast rides, I'd go to Six Flags. If A for effort was good enough, I'd go to Knotts. I go to Disney because the details do matter to me.

truecoat

This area is about the same as what is used in Florida for Pandora. It's not quite the same shape but it'll fit here.

mickEblu

This area is about the same as what is used in Florida for Pandora. It's not quite the same shape but it'll fit here.

View attachment 753312

Really? I had that space being 3.5 acres smaller. Granted I was a little liberal with the outline of Pandora at AK as I included most of the long paths in and out of the land that ideally would be a part of our version as well. But yeah if they go Harry Potter at USH style then that saves a bit of room. I also included some backstage areas that I imagine would need to be included here as well. Is Navi River journey in the same building as FOP at AK?

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Really? I had that space being 3.5 acres smaller. Granted I was a little liberal with the outline of Pandora at AK as I included most of the long paths in and out of the land that ideally would be a part of our version as well. But yeah if they go Harry Potter at USH style then that saves a bit of room. I also included some backstage areas that I imagine would need to be included here as well. Is Navi River journey in the same building as FOP at AK?
They could also take out the Sunset Theater for part of the land as well. These 3D/4D attractions never really draw crowds at DLR.

mickEblu

They could also take out the Sunset Theater for part of the land as well. These 3D/4D attractions never really draw crowds at DLR.

They could or at least part of it. I see the value in keeping one around though. Also it being right on the edge of Hollywood Blvd not sure how feasible it is to work in in any meaningful way. I guess they could keep the theatre facade and use that area as a long transitional path in or out of the land.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

They could or at least part of it. I see the value in keeping one around though. Also it being right on the edge of Hollywood Blvd not sure how feasible it is to work in in any meaningful way. I guess they could keep the theatre facade and use that area as a long transitional path in or out of the land.
I guess if they kept it it would continue to show Philarmagic and movie previews from time to time. I am of the opinion they should take out the Sunset Theater for some sort of dark ride regardless of whether the lands becomes Avatar or not.

truecoat

I didn't use the long paths due to the location of Hollywood land. River Journey and FOP are in 2 buildings connected to each other. It's pretty close as far as the area used and I think they could make it work but I also think this isn't a great location for it.

mickEblu

I didn't use the long paths due to the location of Hollywood land. River Journey and FOP are in 2 buildings connected to each other. It's pretty close as far as the area used and I think they could make it work but I also think this isn't a great location for it.

Yeah I’m inclined to agree even if I wouldn’t be upset if it were announced. They’d be better off having some mini land leading up to an E ticket (preferably a boat ride) located in a large show building in the current transpo area.

J4546

i doubt they will build a land, prob just a avatr themed area in a soundstage or something....As much as I love avatar land in AK id like the 2 coasts to have different experiences. Put avatar in France or Asia

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom