News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

Rich T

How I’m imagining it is, “Come, everyone, spend your money on shoulder dragon puppets and beads! Face painting! Overpriced drinks!”

Honestly, if they removed a big chunk of Galaxy’s Edge for a smaller version of Pandora with Flight of Passage, I’d be all for this. Navi River Nap Time can remain a Florida exclusive.

drizgirl

How I’m imagining it is, “Come, everyone, spend your money on shoulder dragon puppets and beads! Face painting! Overpriced drinks!”

Honestly, if they removed a big chunk of Galaxy’s Edge for a smaller version of Pandora with Flight of Passage, I’d be all for this. Navi River Nap Time can remain a Florida exclusive.
They have to plat at least 2 rides so there's something left when they cut half of it out later.

TP2000

Sounds like it'll replace Star Wars Launch Bay.

That's exactly what I thought too. A meet n' greet, a few interactive games that actually aren't that fun to play with, and an Avatar store.

Maybe also a snack bar, if they go really big!

Was there some unique food item in the Avatar movie that could be offered for sale, like Butterbeer or Blue Milk?

It would be fun if they could at least get the building to rotate again for this, like when it was Innoventions.

PiratesMansion

Subs retheme?

I don't want them to build a Pandora clone, although I do think the boat ride would be received better if it were in a park that had actual ride capacity and the waits weren't routinely over an hour for what is ultimately a modest little attraction.

mickEblu

A few weeks back, Someone mentioned putting a 3D Avatar movie in the TL theatre. I can see it being something like that. In this context, “experience” makes me think it’s something smaller which is ironic because I always describe ROTR as being an “experience” to newbies. I also like to lie to them and tell them it’s a walk thru attraction but I digress.

Anyway, it would be wild if Disneyland got another D ticket (let alone another E ticket) before DCA. Especially if it’s not a retheme. Add something solid to DCA. Stop messing with DL. It doesn’t need it.

TP2000

Subs retheme?

Nope. He said "experience", not "attraction". Bob Iger is familiar enough with the parks business to know what to call a meet n' greet or play area with a small budget, versus an actual attraction with moving ride vehicles and a big budget.

I'll bet twenty churros that Iger is talking about using this currently abandoned and forgotten big building for this "experience"...

Star-Wars-Launch-Bay-Disneyland.jpg

Disney Analyst

Nope. He said "experience", not "attraction". Bob Iger is familiar enough with the parks business to know what to call a meet n' greet or play area with a small budget, versus an actual attraction with moving ride vehicles and a big budget.

I'll bet twenty churros that Iger is talking about using this currently abandoned and forgotten big building for this "experience"...

I'd be okay with this.

mickEblu

You’re probably right. It also would make absolutely no sense to keep adding to DL instead of DCA.

TP2000

A few weeks back, Someone mentioned putting a 3D Avatar movie in the TL theatre. I can see it being something like that.

Oh, there's another good option! That theater is also abandoned and sitting unused right now. A 3-D Avatar Clip Show, perhaps?

In this context, “experience” makes me think it’s something smaller which is ironic because I always describe ROTR as being an “experience” to newbies. I also like to lie to them and tell them it’s a walk thru attraction but I digress.

That's hysterical!

I have half a mind to go make a new friend who has never been to Disneyland and take them on ROTR under that pretense. 🤣

J4546

Subs retheme.....I hope not. I'd rather they redeploy thay entire subs autopia area but I doubt they wouldn't make that a major announcement.

PiratesMansion

Experience, activation, they have all sorts of wording they like to use now. It's been made meaningless by their constant using of different terms. While they probably used Experience to ensure that it wasn't definitively read as an "attraction", it doesn't necessarily mean that it's not an attraction.

The Iron Man motion simulator in Hong Kong that they have in place of Star Tours is called the Iron Man Experience, after all.

I actually like the idea of a repurposed Magic Eye Theater for some sort of Avatar 3D show.

@mickEblu while I didn't watch the call, I'm assuming that Iger is referring to Disneyland Resort and not necessarily Disneyland Park.

TP2000

I'd be okay with this.

Me too. It's empty and abandoned, but also a huge building. And Disneyland needs to soak up crowds with whatever they can.

Avatar Experience replaces Star Wars Launch Bay. Not a bad idea, especially because there's another two movies in the pipeline.

Until, of course, they actually get serious about redoing Tomorrowland thoroughly and substantially. Check back in 2038 on that one. :rolleyes:

TP2000

Experience, activation, they have all sorts of wording they like to use now. It's been made meaningless by their constant using of different terms. While they probably used Experience to ensure that it wasn't definitively read as an "attraction", it doesn't necessarily mean that it's not an attraction.

Well, that's true. When they are now introducing the concept of employee-owned cooperatives into the narrow queue of a log ride, anything is now possible for these communication geniuses! 🤣

The Iron Man motion simulator in Hong Kong that they have in place of Star Tours is called the Iron Man Experience, after all.

That would mean Star Tours gets replaced with an Avatar simulator. But I doubt that, because that would be a bigger announcement than an aside comment on a quarterly earnings call. And it wouldn't include WDW, so that requires even more of a stretch to make it happen.

I'm betting that at most it's an Avatar Clip Show in the abandoned Tomorrowland Theater.

But more likely, it's an Avatar meet n' greet and exciting retail opportunity in the abandoned Launch Bay building.

Either way, a piece of abandoned Tomorrowland could be reopened, in a land with too many abandoned buildings, in a park with too many paying customers. For a movie franchise with two more sequels in the pipeline through '25.

PiratesMansion

That would mean Star Tours gets replaced with an Avatar simulator. But I doubt that, because that would be a bigger announcement than an aside comment on a quarterly earnings call. And it wouldn't include WDW, so that requires even more of a stretch to make it happen.
I'm not saying that Avatar will replace Star Tours. Just pointing out that there are attractions called "____ Experience" now and that we cannot inherently assume that there ISN'T an attraction coming just because they used the word "Experience."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom