News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

PiratesMansion

I don’t care how well it done in Animal Kingdom, it not a good thematic choice for Disneyland resort.

I would prefer something different, not done before.
If they must build out IP at Disneyland Resort (and from Disney's perspective, they must), Avatar has the potential to fit a lot better than many other possible choices. While I haven't seen the new Avatar film, I get the impression that the environment isn't just a retread of the first film, so there's even potential to do an additional Avatar area that doesn't just copy and paste Florida's. The existing Pandora area is better than every single-IP land Disney has ever done except Cars Land by miles. The potential is there for them to build a fantastic land.

With the important caveat that wherever they do this, it needs to be an entirely new build and not a retrofit of any existing park areas, and it needs to be in DCA, not in Disneyland Park. If they try to just, say, reskin Hollywoodland into Pandora, it will fail.

TP2000

Bob Iger mentioned the Avatar experience on the earnings call again today, saying it will be coming "later on down the road".

So basically Bob was talking out of his behind again on this Avatar "experience". It hasn't been designed yet, let alone approved.

He is 72 years old now. As many of us know from personal experience, once you hit about 70 the brain starts changing. Sometimes rather fast.

Check back for an announcement on this "experience" at D23 Expo 2028, Summer Olympics Edition.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I just got a fairly common post-park-visit survey. A lot of it was the usual questions (cleanliness, food quality, customer service, mobile app/Genie) with three things of note:

1. 95% of the surveys I get are about DCA or occasionally DTD. This one was specific to Disneyland Park.
2. There was a several question section on my awareness of shopdisney and whether I learned about it in the park.
3. In the usual section about "tell us how big a fan you are of this franchise", there are generally two sections - one for fandom of Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars (and often a separate shout out to Disney Princess) and a second for competing franchises found in other parks (Dreamworks, Lego, Harry Potter, DC super heroes, etc.). This time I just got one section asking my fandom levels (from not at all a fan to very big fan) for Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars... and Avatar.

Which tells me they're trying to gauge the interest before deciding on the investment.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

So basically Bob was talking out of his behind again on this Avatar "experience". It hasn't been designed yet, let alone approved.

He is 72 years old now. As many of us know from personal experience, once you hit about 70 the brain starts changing. Sometimes rather fast.

Check back for an announcement on this "experience" at D23 Expo 2028, Summer Olympics Edition.
I am going to hedge a bet that this Avatar "experience" right now is going to go into that soundstage in Hollywoodland once the Avengers gift shop opens in September.

SplashJacket

In the event of a company sale, holding off on real capital expenditure (like another Pandora) until after, would make a lot of sense. I wouldn’t expect movement on this until after a sale, if that’s the route they take.

TP2000

In the event of a company sale, holding off on real capital expenditure (like another Pandora) until after, would make a lot of sense. I wouldn’t expect movement on this until after a sale, if that’s the route they take.

I'm happy I wasn't the only one who caught the "No Comment" comment, or non-comment, or no comment non-comment, from Bob on that last earning's call regarding selling the entire company to Apple. Or someone else.

Something is up. Or could be up. Or will be up. That's for sure. :cool:

Professortango1

The existing Pandora area is better than every single-IP land Disney has ever done except Cars Land by miles. The potential is there for them to build a fantastic land.
Being better than Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge isn't a high bar.

Pandora suffers from a lot of the same problems as Galaxy's Edge; feeling empty and devoid of life, one quality attraction and only one other did, lack of things to explore.

Disney still hasn't been able to beat Diagon Alley.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm happy I wasn't the only one who caught the "No Comment" comment, or non-comment, or no comment non-comment, from Bob on that last earning's call regarding selling the entire company to Apple. Or someone else.

Something is up. Or could be up. Or will be up. That's for sure. :cool:
The Q&A is full of 'no comment.' Even in this past one. And in every quarterly call.

Turn off the Conspiracy Signal.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Pandora suffers from a lot of the same problems as Galaxy's Edge; feeling empty and devoid of life, one quality attraction and only one other did, lack of things to explore.

That's the one which has the coaster that everyone complains about, right? And a clone of the wand experience from the other Potter Land? And the train you have to buy a hopper to ride? And whose kinetic energy is a fire effect every 30 minutes and packed-in crowds bumping into one another?

drizgirl

That's the one which has the coaster that everyone complains about, right? And a clone of the wand experience from the other Potter Land? And the train you have to buy a hopper to ride? And whose kinetic energy is a fire effect every 30 minutes and packed-in crowds bumping into one another?
But somehow it feels full of life and I love it.

Professortango1

Kinetic energy in every shop window and hidden effects, plenty to explore, live shows, a great innovative coaster with a great queue. I don't love Potter, but I thoroughly enjoyed the land. I could spend hours there unlike any singular land Disney has created.

PiratesMansion

Fair, but I think it's closer to Cars Land than it is to the other examples, and closer than it's often treated as being.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom