Avatar construction aerial updates

Disneyhead'71

We shall see. Most recognize the Disney difference in theme park design. Others are less critical and/or discerning.
You mean like shoving the country of Arendale into the country of Norway in an actual educational environment?

To quote the show designer, "This is World Showcase, so the history and culture of the people is, like, super important".

Literally.

csmat99

I hear ya. My family hails from DelCo and it took me until I moved to Florida before I made it to south street.

The city has gotten so much better in the past 20 years.
That is shocking it took you that long to get to South Street. I always hung out down there when i was young and foolish. I like Jim's but liked ishkabibbles on South more. Only problem was only 4 seats in whole place. I did notice they opened another location a block or two up. Did you ever try Ch ink's steaks before he sold it and the new owner changed the name?

PhotoDave219

That is shocking it took you that long to get to South Street. I always hung out down there when i was young and foolish. I like Jim's but liked ishkabibbles on South more. Only problem was only 4 seats in whole place. I did notice they opened another location a block or two up. Did you ever try Ch ink's steaks before he sold it and the new owner changed the name?

Uh no..... But I've heard stories.

csmat99

Uh no..... But I've heard stories.
It was one of the best steaks in town. There was a good story on it in Daily News when they changed the name. Link below. The place existed since 1949 then in 2004 all of sudden it became an issue. The funniest part of the story is fact the guy who bought it from family actually hired and paid for "branding" expert and the name they came up with was Joe's. :hilarious: he did recently open another larger location in Fishtown on Frankford.

http://www.philly.com/philly/food/Chinks-Steaks-changing-its-name.html

jt04

You mean like shoving the country of Arendale into the country of Norway in an actual educational environment?

To quote the show designer, "This is World Showcase, so the history and culture of the people is, like, super important".

Literally.

Welcome to your new world order.

Progress.City

Oddly people say the same thing about his films and are always proven wrong.
He is so right! Give the guy a break, please! Let's see the park numbers AFTER it opens before making judgements. I predict it will do for DAK what Carsland did for DCA. If I'm right, it was worth every penny.

My only concern is that, SWL, in comparison, may look "cheap" in comparison and may not be as successful as Avatarland will, and that the only reason why SWL will be successful at all is because of the use of the Star Wars brand.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
He is so right! Give the guy a break, please! Let's see the park numbers AFTER it opens before making judgements. I predict it will do for DAK what Carsland did for DCA. If I'm right, it was worth every penny.

My only concern is that, SWL, in comparison, may look "cheap" in comparison and may not be as successful as Avatarland will, and that the only reason why SWL will be successful at all is because of the use of the Star Wars brand.

Just to be clear, this was never about spending a lot to get a great product, this was about wasteful spending. I am talking about, for example, spending $1 billion to build something that you could have built for $750 million. I can't say for sure that this is what is happening with Avatar, but it very well may be.

djkidkaz

I don't think Avatar Land is going to make a huge an impact on DAK as people think. Adding those two rides is not going to be enough.

Dinosaur
Everest
Kali
Safari
Bugs Life
Primeval Whirl
Triceratops Spin

That is not a lot of rides / attractions. A handful of those options are things that most people don't care about. The park just doesn't have enough to satisfy any one demographic. If you have kids who want rides, you have like 3 or 4 rides. If your an adult you still only have 3 or 4 rides. Shows and walking trails are great if thats your thing but I don't think most people see more than maybe one or two shows in a day. Then you have an attraction like Kali that a majority of people don't ride because they don't want to be soaked. This park needs another new land right after Avatar opens that contains another two rides at a minimum and some more animal exhibits to truly flesh it out and give people more things to do.

As an adult I look at my fast passes for this park for a day. Lets say:

Safari 9:20am - 10:20am
Everest 10:20am - 11:20am
Dinosaur 11:20am - 12:20pm

As long as I arrive at the park by 10am and get to Safari, I could get on all 3 headliners within an hour and a half. Now throw in Kali which might have a wait and Bugs Life which is usually a walk on and your talking maybe 2 and a half hours to knock out all 5 main rides. Now lets add in the Avatar ride with an hour wait and a boat ride with a 30 minute wait plus a show, a couple walking trails and lunch and your talking 6 hours. So from 10-4 I've pretty much done it all. Now do I want to hang around to see ROL at 9pm? Probably not since there is not much left to do.

Can a first timer drag out the day and see it all and make it a full day park. Absolutely. But once you've been to the park a few times your going to start cutting out stuff you don't particularly enjoy ( Rafikis Planet Watch ) which will shorten your day.

Stripes

I think this park may, or may not (more likely not), be a full-day park (attraction-wise). This depends on how well Disney has estimated Avatar's supply vs demand. That said, I have 99% confidence that the park will become a full-day experience.

Figment2005

I don't think Avatar Land is going to make a huge an impact on DAK as people think. Adding those two rides is not going to be enough.

Dinosaur
Everest
Kali
Safari
Bugs Life
Primeval Whirl
Triceratops Spin

That is not a lot of rides / attractions. A handful of those options are things that most people don't care about. The park just doesn't have enough to satisfy any one demographic. If you have kids who want rides, you have like 3 or 4 rides. If your an adult you still only have 3 or 4 rides. Shows and walking trails are great if thats your thing but I don't think most people see more than maybe one or two shows in a day. Then you have an attraction like Kali that a majority of people don't ride because they don't want to be soaked. This park needs another new land right after Avatar opens that contains another two rides at a minimum and some more animal exhibits to truly flesh it out and give people more things to do.

As long as I arrive at the park by 10am and get to Safari, I could get on all 3 headliners within an hour and a half. Now throw in Kali which might have a wait and Bugs Life which is usually a walk on and your talking maybe 2 and a half hours to knock out all 5 main rides. Now lets add in the Avatar ride with an hour wait and a boat ride with a 30 minute wait plus a show, a couple walking trails and lunch and your talking 6 hours. So from 10-4 I've pretty much done it all. Now do I want to hang around to see ROL at 9pm? Probably not since there is not much left to do.

Can a first timer drag out the day and see it all and make it a full day park. Absolutely. But once you've been to the park a few times your going to start cutting out stuff you don't particularly enjoy ( Rafikis Planet Watch ) which will shorten your day.
As a counter point this park was not designed to be toured the same way as the Magic Kingdom. If all a guest wants is rides then yes their time is better spent at MK or Studios since that is their focus. AK and to an extent Epcot are both designed to be taken at a leisurely pace exploring and learning. As a local I would be tempted to spend a few hours at AK over MK any day simply to avoid the crowds of people that don't understand a vacation isn't a vacation if you're running around like a chicken with your head cut off.

UpAllNight

I don't think AK is far away from being a next level park, but a dark ride on the scope of Mystic Manor maybe themed to Lion King or Jungle Book would do wonders I think. I agree that it's not designed to be toured like MK (AK happens to be my favourite Florida Disney Park) but that does seem a bit like an excuse for them not to have the amount of rides it should do at this point, 20 years after opening. I do love the shows and exhibits though but the next level parks should leave people feeling like they need to instantly return to get on the things they didn't manage too, or see the things they didn't. AK is without question a full day park, but I don't necessarily think it ever warrants a repeat visit in the same vacation....which is how I feel at MK, Universal and Islands.

Rivers of Light, and Avatar after dark should help massively.

Cesar R M

Dinosaur
Everest
Kali
Safari
Bugs Life
Primeval Whirl
Triceratops Spin

Im surprised you didnt mention the shows.
while most shows are just like most of your usual Zoo ones, you cant go past the popularity of Festival of the lion king.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom