Avatar construction aerial updates

KikoKea

It's very comparable to EPCOT in this regard... if you are just going to hit the rides, yeah, it's a half day park, but you really are missing out on so much if you do that....
True, although DH and I have never spent a whole day there. Our visits to WDW have been for 4 park days plus 1 free day and we love the rides, so tend to see our favorites and move on to HS, our other half-day park. That gives us 3 days for MK and Epcot, which goes by all too fast. I suspect that others feel the same and prefer to use their limited time at the other park, while other visitors have zoos at home so do not find the animals a huge attraction.

For those visiting longer or live near the World, AK would be a lovely park to enjoy at a more leisurely pace. We plan to retire to the area in 6 months and I'm looking forward to spending much more at AK, particularly in the evening. But, next trip, in 45 days, we've given it a morning.

djkidkaz

Animal kingdom is not you normal theme park it is so much more then rides. It does not need a ton of new additions that are all rides as it won't be what this park is. When you go to this park it is about exploring the lands and the other outstanding exhibits that each area offer. So while avatar is only adding two rides it will also offer area to explore which in this park as Importsnt as the rides.

Why this park if you really explore all is really a full day park, but to many people today skip,so,e really amazing stuff.

I see people say this all the time. And I think exploring the park holds true, the first few times you visit. I remember walking down Main Street for the first time and being in awe and wanting to take it all in and explore the shops and all the details. This held true even the second, third, fifth and tenth time. But after awhile it became just a stroll down a nice street on my way to hit the attractions I'm interested in riding for my 50th time.

The same holds true for Animal Kingdom. The first handful of times I did the walking trails I really soaked it all in. After my twentieth time in the trails I still enjoy the destroyed ruins of the castle but it doesn't feel like I'm exploring anymore. I'm sure when avatar opens I'll show up and gawk at everything the first ten visits but eventually I'll have my fastpass and I'll just head straight for the attractions.

Maybe that's just me and the fact I go as often as I do.

RandySavage

I see people say this all the time. And I think exploring the park holds true, the first few times you visit. I remember walking down Main Street for the first time and being in awe and wanting to take it all in and explore the shops and all the details. This held true even the second, third, fifth and tenth time. But after awhile it became just a stroll down a nice street on my way to hit the attractions I'm interested in riding for my 50th time.

The same holds true for Animal Kingdom. The first handful of times I did the walking trails I really soaked it all in. After my twentieth time in the trails I still enjoy the destroyed ruins of the castle but it doesn't feel like I'm exploring anymore. I'm sure when avatar opens I'll show up and gawk at everything the first ten visits but eventually I'll have my fastpass and I'll just head straight for the attractions.

^Part of it may be that both your examples (Main Street & AK Trails) are currently significantly below their high-water marks as themed experiences, due to years of steady diminishment. For the AK trails, I'm talking about things like, (a) visible barriers such as nets and chainlink fences being added/revealed, (b) vegetation removal revealing backstage animal barns in the background, (c) more security cams. All stuff that takes away from the illusion of really exploring a wild, imaginative place. For Main St, it's been a steady decades-long removal of small and large features that better-evoked a romanticized America at turn-of-the-century in favor of Disney Branded Retail & Dining in a light Victorian dress

When Maharajah, Pangani and Tree of Life trails were at their high water mark (no nets, no backstage buildings visible) it was extraordinarily transporting and I could spend a lot of a day in those places. Now, I find myself noticing the illusion-breaking changes and don't care to spend as much time there.

As a kid, I mostly ignored Main Street (except for the Penny Arcade and Magic Shop) on my way to the rides, but as an adult, I know I would have appreciated the intent & design of the original land and lingered.

RSoxNo1

As a kid, I mostly ignored Main Street (except for the Penny Arcade and Magic Shop) on my way to the rides, but as an adult, I know I would have appreciated the intent & design of the original land and lingered.

It all contributed to the story telling though. It's purposeful, it fits together. That can't be ignored.

gmajew

Premium Member

I understand that point but for me the animal exhibits are incredible and way better then most zoos across America. So getting to just watch these amazing creatures to me is a plus and takes a lot of time for me and my family.

But I see your point and I agree some of the things we move very fast through at times.

Disneyhead'71

Not everyone uses or views the parks in the same way. Someone who travels down once a year, and has been for 10 years has probably less than 15 days in the park total and has spent thousands of dollars on a relatively short vacation. They will stay and see everything. Some people are local APs and are visiting for the 356th time in those same 10 years. From June to Sept. you won't find many local APs lingering in the walking trails. You will find us in Y&Y, FotLK, Nemo, and all the rides. But we do DAK just like we do all the parks in town. Small doses, lots of chilling and chatting, and maybe a ride or two.

WhatJaneSays

I would never go to DHS without a hopper. Wouldn't go to Epcot either. That's why I don't put much faith in attendance numbers from DHS. I just don't think very many individual tickets are sold for DHS. That along with Universal kicking it up might explain the sudden mass construction going on at DHS? Disney is basically rebuilding that park.

Really the percentage of people in the parks on a single day single park ticket for any place besides MK is pretty small. The attendance numbers reveal where a person started their day but I'd love to see how long people spend at each park. I'm sure Disney has a pretty good estimation (and that's likely more valuable info than how many gate-turns each park gets a year).

With AK there might be a genuine "people spend more time here" aspect in relation to how many visitors that park gets.

orky8

The structure to the left of the boat ride is new to me. Maybe for the queue? Or bathrooms, thought I though they were using existing facilities for that?

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looks like there is a bridge of some sort over by the crane on the right. I wonder if there will be a water feature running through that area.

upload_2016-8-12_10-14-42.png

orky8

Looks like there is a bridge of some sort over by the crane on the right. I wonder if there will be a water feature running through that area.

View attachment 155504
Could also be due to the elevation changes. The overhead picture is hard to read the elevation, but if I recall the exit for the flight-ride is a bit high up (maybe 2nd floor) and the entrance is very high (maybe 3rd or 4th floor).

twebber55

View attachment 155504
yep i agree. the area where the bridge is connected at the top will be water.
the best pic i ve seen on that area is from the model on jamboeveryone.com
you can see a close up of the water

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom