Avatar construction aerial updates

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I dread to think. It will look pretty but there is nothing really innovative. The actual area isn't even that large.
What I was getting at was the project bid too low or was it the typical WDI "I want to use X. I don't care that Y will work just as well at 1/10 the cost" stuff.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
@martin1971 @Master Yoda i noticed Universal does rock work differently with Volcano Bay than Disney. is this way cheaper and if so why do it the same way you ve been doing it?

It looks like they may be doing a combination of techniques. The area they are currently working on is being done from lifts, but the area to the left looks like it is going to be the toothpick technique that Disney uses.

flyerjab

What I was getting at was the project bid too low or was it the typical WDI "I want to use X. I don't care that Y will work just as well at 1/10 the cost" stuff.

I work in the vaccine manufacturing industry where we build multi-million dollar facilities. We obviously advertise and vendors bid for the work. Are the Imagineers working with vendors and suppliers that they are buds with regardless of cost? I know that happens a lot in the manufacturing world.

Also, I don't need the most innovative ride in the world. I want a ride that I will enjoy that promotes re-ridability. What is ridiculous about this is that it shouldn't have to cost this much money that people lose jobs. That is crazy. To me, it sounds like the Imagineering group has become lazy, or have developed a sort of tunnel vision when starting up actual build outs for new projects.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I work in the vaccine manufacturing industry where we build multi-million dollar facilities. We obviously advertise and vendors bid for the work. Are the Imagineers working with vendors and suppliers that they are buds with regardless of cost? I know that happens a lot in the manufacturing world.

Also, I don't need the most innovative ride in the world. I want a ride that I will enjoy that promotes re-ridability. What is ridiculous about this is that it shouldn't have to cost this much money that people lose jobs. That is crazy. To me, it sounds like the Imagineering group has become lazy, or have developed a sort of tunnel vision when starting up actual build outs for new projects.
Hard to say. I am sure that is possible...even probable, but another possibility is that it is really hard to bid some thing that has never really been built before.

I often run into situations where I have to tell customers that I will not be able to get an accurate price until I can actually run at least preliminary engineering. I can not tell you how many times I have done this, submitted an accurate price only to be told I am $20k high on a $50k project.

When I don't budge on my price and they award the project to a competitor I often find out that they did not bother to run any preliminary engineering, underbid the job and either loose their shirt or spend months trying to collect the extra money, often unsuccessfully.

flyerjab

Hard to say. I am sure that is possible...even probable, but another possibility is that it is really hard to bid some thing that has never really been built before.

I often run into situations where I have to tell customers that I will not be able to get an accurate price until I can actually run at least preliminary engineering. I can not tell you how many times I have done this, submitted an accurate price only to be told I am $20k high on a $50k project.

When I don't budge on my price and they award the project to a competitor I often find out that they did not bother to run any preliminary engineering, underbid the job and either loose their shirt or spend months trying to collect the extra money, often unsuccessfully.

So does that mean then that WDI is running somewhat autonomously without price control? That becomes a bit dangerous. I can't recall the name of the new head of WDI. All I can recall is that spirit indicated it was a great move for the company. Was it Al Weiss?

G00fyDad

So does that mean then that WDI is running somewhat autonomously without price control? That becomes a bit dangerous. I can't recall the name of the new head of WDI. All I can recall is that spirit indicated it was a great move for the company. Was it Al Weiss?

Apparently it is this guy....

Man-Cash-Money-620480-300x232.jpg

Mike S

Bob Weis.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No clue, but WDI does have a reputation for being drastically overpriced.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
and sometimes involving cheese steaks.. just ask @PhotoDave219

Or burgers.

Jim's Steaks at the corner of Fourth and South Streets in the heart of the city where Liberty was born, Philadelphia

I have lived just outside of Philadelphia all my life and the funny thing is, I can count on one hand how many cheese stakes I have had in the city.

PhotoDave219

Or burgers.

I have lived just outside of Philadelphia all my life and the funny thing is, I can count on one hand how many cheese stakes I have had in the city.

I hear ya. My family hails from DelCo and it took me until I moved to Florida before I made it to south street.

The city has gotten so much better in the past 20 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom