Avatar construction aerial updates

Cesar R M

Wow ,small world is almost as large as both the Soarin ride and the boat ride together. Small world is around 8:30, right. So the boat ride looks more like maelstrom length (anyone want to do the size comparison there) so more like 3-4 minutes tops. From the concept art - it looks like it will look amazing but short.
Makes me wonder if the entire ride encompasses the building or if there are big areas for maintenance and water management.

dreamscometrue

Yes, but in that case the boat will still be moving. If the boat actually stops then it reduces the rate at which you can dispatch boats and thus the capacity.
From the Shanghai preview video during the Disneyland 60th Special (re 'Pirates' ride in that park)...
“…allows your ship to spin, travel sideways, and even go backwards.”
Do you think that's what we might see with the Pandora boat ride?

doctornick

From the Shanghai preview video during the Disneyland 60th Special (re 'Pirates' ride in that park)...
“…allows your ship to spin, travel sideways, and even go backwards.”
Do you think that's what we might see with the Pandora boat ride?

So, that ride mechanism for Shanghai POTC almost certainly is this one for "Amusement park ride with underwater-controlled boats"

I strongly suspect that same mechanism is being used for the Pandora boat ride as well and, given the established layout of the ride, we'll probably see some semi-circular areas where the boats go sideways to be directed towards scenes. It's already been pointed out that there are two, maybe three, alcoves in Na'vi River Journey that could function in that way.

twebber55

So, that ride mechanism for Shanghai POTC almost certainly is this one for "Amusement park ride with underwater-controlled boats"

I strongly suspect that same mechanism is being used for the Pandora boat ride as well and, given the established layout of the ride, we'll probably see some semi-circular areas where the boats go sideways to be directed towards scenes. It's already been pointed out that there are two, maybe three, alcoves in Na'vi River Journey that could function in that way.
yep looking at the patent it looks like the ride system

Marc Davis Fan

I'm very confused about the boat ride's show building size, too.

For comparison, does anyone know what's the smallest (by show building size) current Disney boat ride? (DL's Splash, maybe?) Can we compare that show building's size against this one, maybe?

doctornick

I'm very confused about the boat ride's show building size, too.

For comparison, does anyone know what's the smallest (by show building size) current Disney boat ride? (DL's Splash, maybe?) Can we compare that show building's size against this one, maybe?

Maelstrom/Frozen Ever After would probably be the shortest boat ride.

dstrawn9889

but that is also a deep draft boat (compared to IASW) and would require a deeper channel since it is free floating, whereas the new POTC in shanghai is just deep enough for effect(since the boats are really an Omnimover-type)and would require much LESS water to do the job

bjm72385

If this is indeed the new omni-mover type boat ride, is it possible that the layout may be shorter than other boat rides, but the ride time still be the same? I always found that PotC and IASW seemed to travel faster than a normal omni-mover ride like HM.

Brian Swan

Wow even smaller than maelstrom.
So about 3-4 minutes tops then.
There are a lot of factors that will determine ride length, and we really have very little data other than a building size and a rough idea of the water track. Given that the "assumed" ride system is capable of moving faster, slower, or even stopping at times, and that there may be section of the "track" that are non-linear, we don't really have a lot to go on. Comparing to Maelstrom has it's own issues. The middle (backwards) section moved quite rapidly compared to other boat rides, and it also had a drop, further increasing the speed. and it was a straight "trough" ride with no side to side variance that may be possible with the newer ride system. As this ride is supposed to very heavy on visual effects, I'm guessing that it will move slower rather than faster. Others, with a much greater knowledge of ride mechanics than I have, have predicted 5-7 min length. But until the first boat makes an actual "real-time" circuit of the ride, everything is (educated) guesswork....

space42

There are a lot of factors that will determine ride length, and we really have very little data other than a building size and a rough idea of the water track. Given that the "assumed" ride system is capable of moving faster, slower, or even stopping at times, and that there may be section of the "track" that are non-linear, we don't really have a lot to go on. Comparing to Maelstrom has it's own issues. The middle (backwards) section moved quite rapidly compared to other boat rides, and it also had a drop, further increasing the speed. and it was a straight "trough" ride with no side to side variance that may be possible with the newer ride system. As this ride is supposed to very heavy on visual effects, I'm guessing that it will move slower rather than faster. Others, with a much greater knowledge of ride mechanics than I have, have predicted 5-7 min length. But until the first boat makes an actual "real-time" circuit of the ride, everything is (educated) guesswork....
Thanks. I understand what you and others have said.
At this point all we can do is speculate since there hasn't been a whole lot of official information about this attraction. Even the resident insiders have stated that the ride time was just a guess.
What we do know is the ride path and show building size. And comparied to pirates , small world , and maelstrom , it is smaller.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
no chance the ride will expand below the avatar soarin' theater?

Nope, the theater goes down to the same level as the boat ride.

Capture.JPG

rioriz

Not necessarily. You can make a longer, shorter or equal length layout in a smaller area. Ride vehicle speed is also a factor in the length of the attraction.

Correct and correct me if I am wrong were these measure of the Frozenstrom building including the queue space also? So it would not be fair to say how long the actual ride track compares. Plus Malestrom had some fast pace sections where I doubt River Journey will. I see it moving about as fast as Living With the Land (my favorite)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom