gonnichi

What is TDO expecting from Avatar? I remember seeing the pictures of the crowds when Harry Potter Opened at IOA. If Disney is expecting those kind of crowds with Avatarland I think they will be disappointed. I don't think crowds that big are reasonable to expect for Avatar. But I do hope Avatarland and the night show make AK into a full day park. Any opinions ?

BaconPancakes

Well it looks pretty, but so did the concept art for FLE. Let's hope this will not just be all show and no substance.

I also give them props for attempting to make DAK an all day park. Good luck...

Pocahontas

Wow, it's amazing. Gorgeous. I hope the final product isn't disappointing, though. Can they pull it off? I don't know... it will definitely take a while. This project will add so much AK, which is fantastic. They should add another 'land' to DHS because that park needs help. :(

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Budgets get changed on nearly every project that gets built. That's the way it works.
But would it kill em to occasionally increase the budget. And I mean increase it BIG TIME. Not just for overtures and unexpected costs but to create something so unfathomably unique and mind blowing that it will redefine the theme park industry as we know it. Rewrite the playbook. Imagine the final product being far superior to what the concept art looks like. Not the other way around.

LostPrincessKarleigh

I love Avatar! Definitely one of my favorite movies. Avatar land + night time entertainment at AK?! I'm sold!
3 years though?! At least it should be unveiled about the same time as the second avatar movie. :p

MerlinTheGoat

Yes, that's why they are building Avatar Land. It has a unique and strong vision. According to this thread, everyone loves Avatar Land. I guess if some people don't and still want to talk about a proposed expansion project that was canceled a decade a go, you can go to your local grocer and purchase Haterade to wash down your sour grapes.
Everyone certainly does not love Avatar Land. There are a lot of people here who love the beauty of the concept art for the land (myself included), but there are tons of people who neither like the source material, like the idea of putting it at AK or even wanted Avatar in the first place when there's countless better and more logical ideas for AK. The land itself is still regarded by many here (myself still included) as a really bad choice for Animal Kingdom. It doesn't fit with the park's purpose and theme. I'm also sure there are plenty of people who aren't And Avatar is anything but unique, it has been called out by many for ripping off numerous other stories such as Fern Gully and Pocahontas.

If there's one thing the movie was good at, it was eye candy. That's probably the only thing it excelled at. Now for a theme park, that is fine as long as it's done with the maximum effort to ensure people enjoy the land regardless of their feelings on the movie AND placed where it makes sense. But unfortunately there's still every chance (perhaps likely) it'll get value engineered to death per usual for Disney World projects. I'll be shocked if the entire land can live up to the beauty of the concept art and gets built without having severe budget slashes. If it can't achieve that, it'll be a massive waste and lose its only real advantage. They have to put the maximum effort in here and ensure it's a quality experience regardless of what movie it's based on.

I am personally willing to be a bit more forgiving than many people here IF the land is done right. Large budget, plenty of beautiful detail etc. I still don't think it fits with AK and i'm not a big fan of the movie, but if it can stand on its own as a great theme park experience then I can give them some credit at least. I'm currently looking forward to it, if for no reason other than i'm glad they're including a slower paced boat ride (AK is severely lacking calm rides with richly themed environments, and without any height or health limits). But if they end up doing this on the cheap and lacking quality or effort, it'll be just another waste to me.

Last edited:

Jwhee

Im for the land, but if this really does open in 2017, no one will really care. By that time the movie will be around 8 years old...

twebber55

Again thread hijaked so ill try to get back on subject. The model is what is intersting to me. Wondering how tall will the mountain will be? Any guesses

some guy

Wondering how tall will the mountain will be? Any guesses
Maybe there's similar shots of models of the Tree of Life that could be used to figure ratios to the heads of other people? It'll be a very rough estimate but it might be able to get some scale. Maybe comparing walkway width to a similarly set-up AK walkway and extrapolate from there?

twebber55

well the title of the thread is about the concept art but yet again anti folk (for two years now) want to continuously bash with the same boring arguments...why go to a thread that you loathe? why not just either create your own bashing thread or ignore the thread all together? i mean the stuff you ve been posting about is two years old...it gets you know old
edit: AJh219 beat me to it lol

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
With the exception of tours like that though, most guests would not ever see the backside of Splash Mountain. Pretty much any guest can see the backside of Everest however. It is actually the first thing you see of the park when you enter the parking lot for Animal Kingdom and is easily visible to all who just look over to it.
I have truly never seen it, and I was just there two weeks ago.
I will have to add it to my BOLO list for next year.
Thanks.

FLE has more substance than anything based on Cameron's preachy snoozefest could ever have. It features characters people love and remember, and stories that have stood the test of time. Avatar has none of that. I'd take Dumbo's Circus over Cameron's kitty carnival any day.

Yes, you'll take two repainted kiddy rides and a miniature water playground over what's in that concept art. Did James Cameron do something to you personally, or are you just jealous of the fact he made the most profitable movie of all time and you didn't?

AdventureHasAName

Because there is already an entire AVATAR thread where people can go and share their dislikes/likes about the project. Your posts are a "hijack" because they contribute NOTHING to the discussion of the concept art and are frankly off topic. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are other places where you can discuss the never ending moaning and groaning of "AVATAR sucks".

Edit: Here you go. The original AVATAR thread from 2011. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/avatar-land-coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom.803695/

I don't like the concept art. How's that for "on-topic"? It doesn't show anything that has anything to do with the concept and theme of the park in which it's supposed to reside. The concept art shows a fictional planet and the park in which it is to reside is dedicated to animals that live on our planet (Earth). One doesn't have anything to do with the other. I expressed this in several of my other posts, so I don't know how this particular one is now on-topic while the others were off-topic, but you're entitled to your opinion ... as am I.

HM GhostHostess

tumblr_inline_mujik8Zhel1rucdgs.jpg

Poor Joe. Just look at the expression on his face. Whether or not you support this ridiculous plan for expansion at Animal Kingdom, I think we all can appreciate the fact that Joe had this facial expression during a posed publicity shot.

Captain Neo

All in all it is pretty similar to what you would have gotten with Beastly Kingdom. An e-ticket involving dragon creatures, a boat ride through a fantasy forest (which would have also been a movie tie-in), a natural walkthrough area and some gift shops and restaurants. Only difference is the e-ticket would have been a coaster instead of a simulator type experience. However, if you go down that line of thinking keep in mind if Beastly Kingdom opened with the park Countdown to Extinction would have been a simulator type experience and knowing Eisner and Pressler the Dragon coaster would have suffered from budget cuts (think something more like Everest with minimal AA's and theming and lots of just speeding around in the dark) At least with Cameron and his team on board they are going to keep standards (and budget) high.

So we ended up getting the better deal, from a certain point of view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom