CDavid

I may very well be misinterpreting the concept art and model, but based on what we've seen, the "land" doesn't look very large to me. Presumably we aren't really seeing the show buildings in either, which adds more space, but it still doesn't seem like a lot. Granted, it's hard to judge, but then that's the thing about concept art, which we would do well to keep in mind when trying to determine specifics which could change before completion or may not have been decided yet anyway.

Actually, I'm surprised people are this excited over concept art.

CDavid

a)throw a hungry dog a bone and see what happens.

b)excepting the 'nightime show' art, these are really amazing renderings from a technical and artistic standpoint. Top notch art.

Yes, but before anyone gets too excited, remember we have seen concept art many times for projects at Walt Disney World which then never happened - some cancelled after construction was well underway. Given the glacial pace of development (and rumored difficulties) with Avatar anyway, I just can't see a reason to be overly enthusiastic yet.

Don't misunderstand me, this is a positive development with regard to Avatarland, whether you think the project a mistake or one of brilliance. It's just still got an awful long way to go (four years).

RandySavage

Did a little bit o' thinkin' about the rendering and the model.
Here's what I came up with.
If there is indeed a carsland-like 'wall', a show building could
be behind it. Or not. Just thinkin'.

1c4u.jpg
I think that's a feasible interpretation: the background, beyond the floating mountains, with the cliffs and Arcing Rocks could be there to conceal the large show-building (blueprints leaked) housing the banshee sim and C-ticket boat ride. The Arcing Rocks are a film landmark and will almost certainly be included (they were in the earlier, very plain model).

The never-built-on expansion pad that seems likeliest area to house the major show-building is west of the park's ticket plaza (and south of Camp Minnie), meaning that if the above interpretation is approaching the land from Discovery Island, it would have to be flipped (Arcing Rocks and backdrop would be on one's left).

Are Staggs and Co. facing Discovery Island and the land's entrance (pass under the mountain to enter the land), or is behind them?

The Empress Lilly

I think that's a feasible interpretation: the background, beyond the floating mountains, with the cliffs and Arcing Rocks could be there to conceal the large show-building (blueprints leaked) housing the banshee sim and C-ticket boat ride. The Arcing Rocks are a film landmark and will almost certainly be included (they were in the earlier, very plain model).

The never-built-on expansion pad that seems likeliest area to house the major show-building is west of the park's ticket plaza (and south of Camp Minnie), meaning that if the above interpretation is approaching the land from Discovery Island, it would have to be flipped (Arcing Rocks and backdrop would be on one's left).

Are Staggs and Co. facing Discovery Island and the land's entrance (pass under the mountain to enter the land), or is behind them?
I interpret it as Cameron, Staggs and Rohde sitting on Discovery Island. The viewpoint is from atop the E-ticket show building. So from southwest looking northeast.

misterID

I may very well be misinterpreting the concept art and model, but based on what we've seen, the "land" doesn't look very large to me. Presumably we aren't really seeing the show buildings in either, which adds more space, but it still doesn't seem like a lot. Granted, it's hard to judge, but then that's the thing about concept art, which we would do well to keep in mind when trying to determine specifics which could change before completion or may not have been decided yet anyway.

Actually, I'm surprised people are this excited over concept art.

The plot of land it's going to sit on isn't huge and I don't think it needs to be real big. It's getting two rides, basically. It's a shame they couldn't move this somewhere else and leave this plot of land available, but it's the one that makes most sense for today's Animal Kingdom.

Your last sentence... You really shouldn't be surprised.

Dole Whip Happy Hour

If Disney had released these concept art, and never mentioned Avatar. If Disney had said they were creating
a new futuristic, alien, animal Land, a Land where Animal Kingdom meets Magic Kingdoms Future World.

I would have thought that was the best thing ever! How cool! How Entirely Disney creative!
Love the artwork! Cant wait, another "must do" trip planned

If then they said yes, it is Avatar! I would have thought, huh? isn't that more of a Universal thing? revolving a Land around one movie? Disney used to make Lands on based on concepts and then would put a specific
ride where it would fit. I could see a Avatar ride inside of the new Disney land, but not have the whole
land specific to one movie... that's all I am going to see in this new Land...Avatar stuff?
I never saw Avatar, never really wanted to see the Dances with Wolves in space....

but I do think what they could create something neat with the general concept.

GrumpyFan

If you look at the satellite views, the land currently occupied by CMM isn't fully utilized. Assuming it goes all the way out to the second tree line where the busses run and the road, there's actually quite a bit of land available.
Regardless, we'll just have to see what the do when construction begins.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But with Wizard World of Harry Potter and Cars Land it has been demonstrated that an entire land themed around a single franchise can be very successful if done right.

And they have 3 attractions each so it's not out of scale to have a land with 2 and maybe 3 rides plus a walk through area.

CTXRover

This whole thing seems underwhelming.

Local bands playing on a raft along with some floating luminaries. Through in a few floating water-screen rafts and you have your infrastructure.

It all sounds so cheap and uninspired.

Keep in mind the artwork apparently is not for the new nighttime show on Discovery river. It is for the additional entertainment coming. Per the blog's post :
"The park will introduce more nighttime entertainment as well, including live performers on Discovery Island (pictured above) " with the pic above being the one you are referring to.

RSoxNo1

Basically, this is all Staggs will say about what will be in Pandora...

3) SPECIFIC ATTRACTIONS
Jenna from Winnetka, Ill., asks, “What types of attractions will be in AVATAR land?”
This was hands-down one of the most popular questions we got and understandably so. While we’re still in the very early stages of design and planning, we expect this land to be anchored by multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements. Our AVATAR lands will give guests the chance to see, hear and touch the world of Pandora and we can’t wait to dive in with James Cameron and his team as we create new experiences that will delight and thrill our guests.

What this means? I have no idea. Why he chose to use the word "lands" possibly means different areas of Pandora.
This Q and A was from September 20th, 2011.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom