DinoInstitute

A little advice to all future theme park builders. All your support buildings should go outside the berm. And parking garages create a safer and more pleasent guest experience. See Universal Orlando and soon Disney Springs for evidence.

PS- Yes I know DS is not a theme park per se. But it bolsters the concept.
I don't see how garages make a more pleasant experience...infact I'm just the oppostie

DinoInstitute

Have you ever been to UO? The experience is quite nice. Compare that with trying to get to the MK or DHS on a crowded hot day.

Are you a tram driver?
I have. Without paying extra I have a really long walk in a garage which is not very clean, like any other, while with parking lots you get sunight and a horizon of which you can see where you are headed! Eh just my psychological views.

Also they have trams which I think are fun:)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A little advice to all future theme park builders. All your support buildings should go outside the berm. And parking garages create a safer and more pleasent guest experience. See Universal Orlando and soon Disney Springs for evidence.

PS- Yes I know DS is not a theme park per se. But it bolsters the concept.

I have never used any of the parking at Disney or Uni, but in general I feel much safer driving in a parking lot then in a garage. Garages tend to have very tight isles and spaces and it's hard to see other cars coming when you make a turn from one row another.

dstrawn9889

especially if you are not in your own car... narrow aisles and even the fools that cannot park their own car in a proper sized/spaced lot just drive me up the wall. if only i had a paintball gun to mark problem drivers for the police....

jt04

I have never used any of the parking at Disney or Uni, but in general I feel much safer driving in a parking lot then in a garage. Garages tend to have very tight isles and spaces and it's hard to see other cars coming when you make a turn from one row another.

Uni has a very nice set-up. Never had problems with space and there are cameras and CMs everywhere. Plus moving sidewalks! :D

Then there is the other side of the coin. Leaving the MK after a hot day right after a parade or fireworks and trying to get to the car. No fun.

To TDOs credit, they are certainly taking steps to fix the problem. New hub, new MSUSA config, more ferry docks and expanded bus terminals. All should help immensely. :cool:

DinoInstitute

Uni has a very nice set-up. Never had problems with space and there are cameras and CMs everywhere. Plus moving sidewalks! :D

Then there is the other side of the coin. Leaving the MK after a hot day right after a parade or fireworks and trying to get to the car. No fun.

To TDOs credit, they are certainly taking steps to fix the problem. New hub, new MSUSA config, more ferry docks and expanded bus terminals. All should help immensely. :cool:
Whats with the :cool:?

And also at Uni are the staff called CMs too? I didn't think so but now I am actually wondering

jt04

Whats with the :cool:?

And also at Uni are the staff called CMs too? I didn't think so but now I am actually wondering

It means I am cool with the concept of fixing exiting the MK. As opposed to how I sometimes felt which looked like this :mad:

I think they are called CM's. Don't really know though.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I fail to see how we would ever see a garage from any park.

The only way from DAK would be from Everest and I can see Spaceship Earth from there, so that doesn't really count does it?
He said he finds NOTHING "more visually offensive than a sea of parking". I'm just pointing out what COULD be more visually offensive.

Next Big Thing

He said he finds NOTHING "more visually offensive than a sea of parking". I'm just pointing out what COULD be more visually offensive.
Yes, but you said "a towering parking lot intruding upon your field of view from inside a theme park"

I fail to see where in DAK you would see a garage or that it would intrude upon your view.

I personally would be all for a garage. DAK doesn't have a ton of expansion room so the parking lot could be used if they built garages (down the line).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes, but you said "a towering parking lot intruding upon your field of view from inside a theme park"

I fail to see where in DAK you would see a garage or that it would intrude upon your view.

I personally would be all for a garage. DAK doesn't have a ton of expansion room so the parking lot could be used if they built garages (down the line).

And therein lies the problem.

doctornick

Um, what? DAK has a massive amount of expansion space. Ignoring the land where Pandora is being built, you still have a very large cleared area between Asia and Africa/Rafiki's. That area is probably about 50% bigger than Asia itself is and could easily be used for another animal heavy continental land like Australia or South America.

Beyond that there is some expansion space between Everest and Nemo. And they could easily move the backstage buildings and expand to the east of Discovery Island (between Africa and Pandora). DAK probably has more expansion space than any other WDW park.

Furthermore, it wouldn't really be realistic to expand into the current parking lots. Their location isn't conducive adding to the park footprint unless there was a significant reconfiguration of the entrances. It's not like DHS where they could expand into the lot next to Echo Lake and make it easily continuous.

Next Big Thing

Um, what? DAK has a massive amount of expansion space. Ignoring the land where Pandora is being built, you still have a very large cleared area between Asia and Africa/Rafiki's. That area is probably about 50% bigger than Asia itself is and could easily be used for another animal heavy continental land like Australia or South America.

Beyond that there is some expansion space between Everest and Nemo. And they could easily move the backstage buildings and expand to the east of Discovery Island (between Africa and Pandora). DAK probably has more expansion space than any other WDW park.

Furthermore, it wouldn't really be realistic to expand into the current parking lots. Their location isn't conducive adding to the park footprint unless there was a significant reconfiguration of the entrances. It's not like DHS where they could expand into the lot next to Echo Lake and make it easily continuous.
Nope, MK has more expansion space (and attractions that take up far too much space) than any other park. It's really not even close.

DAK has plenty of space for a few big expansions yet, yes. I wasn't suggesting this happen now. It was more of a "eventually they're going to run out of space" thing.

Tom

Beta Return
Nope, MK has more expansion space (and attractions that take up far too much space) than any other park. It's really not even close.

DAK has plenty of space for a few big expansions yet, yes. I wasn't suggesting this happen now. It was more of a "eventually they're going to run out of space" thing.

MK "expansion" space is far more theoretical than DAK's explicit expansion space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom