SirLink

I don't know. I get that HP has done wonders for IOA, but this park's attendance rate ranks lower than Disney's lowest attended theme park by some 2 million plus guests. So, if measured accordingly it's already "swatted" by DHS.

That said, I can't argue that Universal gave Disney a beat down when it comes to overall park "increase" and revenues (possibly). But, they still fall millions of guests short of Disney's lowest attended park. I'm hoping that HP2 will help Universal to at least catch DHS, but that's a tall order. Disney will most certainly respond quickly to that.

Do not believe the Themed Entertainment Association numbers, also merchandise sales in Disney parks isn't doing nearly as well as Uni for instance where part of the true money making machine kicks in.

WDWDad13

Do not believe the Themed Entertainment Association numbers, also merchandise sales in Disney parks isn't doing nearly as well as Uni for instance where part of the true money making machine kicks in.

Even if that were true every time uni sells marvel merchandise, well you know

The brand Disney is worldwide with merchandise and not just within the parks, I think they are doing just fine

Disneyhead'71

I think with Disney's creation of La Frou's Brew that it is hard to argue that Universal's in-park guest spending hasn't gotten Disney's attention.

I don't believe that Avatar is going to see Potter's numbers (let's face it, not much would). Nor do it think DAK will see an IOA sized increase in attendance. Also I don't see Avatar merchandise flying off the shelf like Potter's wands and Hogwarts clothing. That said, if they bring that beautiful concept art to life, there is no way that this thing won't be a success.

I am actually pretty darned excited for "Soarin' Over Pandora". I know I am probably the only one, but I love simulators. I LOVE the massive visuals combined with physical movement. I am less excited about another boat ride even with the pretty visuals. I guess I shouldn't have given up acid in the '80s. :)

That said, I have heard that the motorbike coaster wasn't cut for budget reasons, but simply Disney pulled it to plug it into the Star Wars Project. And that Cameron was NOT happy. To appease him, Disney promised to go totally over the top on the elements in the boat ride and the macro-themeing of the whole land.

This should be the most impressive land that Disney has ever built.

Last edited:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

I walk into a local Walmart in South Carolina the other day and they had a full department of Disney stuff; but I did not find a section for Universal. There was some Marvell stuff like Spider Man, but wait that is also Disney. Disney is the marketingiantnt and I am sure that does effect the amount of stuff sold in the parks. Avatar will sale in the parks and if tied to Disney marketing it will sale worldwide.

space42

Regarding the debate over whether "Flight of Passage" will be a Soarin' 2.0 versus a more complex concept (like the Pandora's Box system or Forbidden Journey), I'll point out the discussion in this previous thread where some insiders like @Tim_4 and @pheneix indicated that the leaked blueprints from last year are no longer the plans and that the new concept (at least at that point) featured a ride vehicle that moved from location to location.

Except the concept art matches pretty much exactly with the leaked blue prints. Sorain' 2.0? with a Boat Ride. I really am hoping this is incorrect and they are building a true next-generation E-Ticket.

SirLink

I walk into a local Walmart in South Carolina the other day and they had a full department of Disney stuff; but I did not find a section for Universal. There was some Marvell stuff like Spider Man, but wait that is also Disney. Disney is the marketingiantnt and I am sure that does effect the amount of stuff sold in the parks. Avatar will sale in the parks and if tied to Disney marketing it will sale worldwide.

:facepalm:

CinematicFusion

I do think you are being unreasonable to expect something Star Wars or Pixar related between the completion of Fantasyland and Avatarland. If you expect anything beyond what has been officially announced, you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. Great comment, though.

I disagree, Disney wouldn't have done the Star Wars convention teaser if they didn't have plans to reveal before the release of episode 7.
I believe Disney will start building Star Wars at some point next year. They need that land armed and fully operational before all the films have left the theater.

But, it is a fair point to assume that the building of Star Wars land will take place in California before Orlando.
So looking at it from that light, you are probably right.

lebeau

I do think you are being unreasonable to expect something Star Wars or Pixar related between the completion of Fantasyland and Avatarland. If you expect anything beyond what has been officially announced, you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. Great comment, though.

Great avatar!

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect continuous improvements to the resort. Three year gaps are simply unacceptable. Disney can't keep jacking up prices annually while making only modest and infrequent additions to the parks. Eventually, this practice will erode the decades of goodwill the company has accumulated. And then they won't be able to rely on nostalgia to sell tickets any more.

Do I expect an expansion at DHS sometime in the next three years? No. I would think Disney would have announced it by now if it was coming. But if they don't have something else up their sleeves, of course I will be disappointed. The plans they have announced are disappointing. Something more is needed.

Heck, even if Disney announced Star Wars land for 2015, I'd still be looking for some additional work in Future World before I'd be truly satisfied.

Kman101

I somewhat agree (seeing how TDO runs things), but you act as if this is a true fact. We don't know that. Unless you specifically do.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Great avatar!

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect continuous improvements to the resort. Three year gaps are simply unacceptable. Disney can't keep jacking up prices annually while making only modest and infrequent additions to the parks. Eventually, this practice will erode the decades of goodwill the company has accumulated. And then they won't be able to rely on nostalgia to sell tickets any more.

Do I expect an expansion at DHS sometime in the next three years? No. I would think Disney would have announced it by now if it was coming. But if they don't have something else up their sleeves, of course I will be disappointed. The plans they have announced are disappointing. Something more is needed.

Heck, even if Disney announced Star Wars land for 2015, I'd still be looking for some additional work in Future World before I'd be truly satisfied.

I would've agreed until last Thanksgiving when a surprise addition to the Studios wowed me beyond belief. As I participated in a simple game of Simon Says, done Dora the Explorer style and helped Captain Jack defeat various bad guys, I realized that Disney had far exceeded the expectations harbored by the most cynical. Bravo. Bravo.

Kman101

Remember folks, the attendance numbers we get don't always tell the actual picture (right?). At least that's what I've remembered seeing said here.

ctxak98

If they went full out on a star wars world, it could beat potter hands down! Huge fan bases behind those films. Plus new ones on the way! I dont see a negative in this at all!

GLaDOS

Remember folks, the attendance numbers we get don't always tell the actual picture (right?). At least that's what I've remembered seeing said here.

Correct. Potter's real boon has been guest spending. The land paid for itself in a matter of a few months and has been raking in the cash ever since. I don't know DAK or DHS's guest spending numbers, but I have to assume IoA's numbers are higher.

Kman101

I just don't understand why Disney refuses to have unique, quality merchandise. Sure, there's some if you look super hard, but EVERY store seems the same. I get their mind frame, I remember WHY they did it, because if you see something somewhere, you can then find it anywhere (which still isn't true in a lot of ways), but the majority of it is cheap and generic. Specific, unique merchandise would sell. Why don't they understand this? It's why those retro shirts seem so popular. People crave unique things.

erider

I think with Disney's creation of La Frou's Brew that it is hard to argue that Universal's in-park guest spending hasn't gotten Disney's attention.

I don't believe that Avatar is going to see Potter's numbers (let's face it, not much would). Nor do it think DAK will see an IOA sized increase in attendance. Also I don't see Avatar merchandise flying off the shelf like Potter's wands and Hogwarts clothing. That said, if they bring that beautiful concept art to life, there is no way that this thing won't be a success.

I am actually pretty darned excited for "Soarin' Over Pandora". I know I am probably the only one, but I love simulators. I LOVE the massive visuals combined with physical movement. I am less excited about another boat ride even with the pretty visuals. I guess I shouldn't have given up acid in the '80s. :)

That said, I have heard that the motorbike coaster wasn't cut for budget reasons, but simply Disney pulled it to plug it into the Star Wars Project. And that Cameron was NOT happy. To appease him, Disney promised to go totally over the top on the elements in the boat ride and the macro-themeing of the whole land.

This should be the most impressive land that Disney has ever built.

Sure the concepts for Pandora look great, but I can't help but be dissapointed if the only attractions there are going to be a Soarin and boat style ride. I was expecting a state of the art ride system for one of Pandora's rides. Same thing with the Star Wars expansion if the main attraction is a motorbike roller coaster with some theming. I was also a bit dissapointed that Radiator Springs Racers is pretty much the same ride system as Test Track.

At least HP Forbidden Journey has a unique ride system that had never been done before. And it sounds as if Gringotts will have a unique ride system again too with the combination of dark ride/ roller coaster with special elements in it. Maybe it's too early to complain about it since we don't know the exact details of Pandora's and Star Wars rides, but it definitely feels to me that Universal is pushing the envelope on new ride systems instead of Disney.

SirLink

I just don't understand why Disney refuses to have unique, quality merchandise. Sure, there's some if you look super hard, but EVERY store seems the same. I get their mind frame, I remember WHY they did it, because if you see something somewhere, you can then find it anywhere (which still isn't true in a lot of ways), but the majority of it is cheap and generic. Specific, unique merchandise would sell. Why don't they understand this? It's why those retro shirts seem so popular. People crave unique things.

The great thing about Avatar is you won't be getting a Navi'd up Mickey action figure. Cameron wouldn't allow that. I'm expecting merchandise that will only be available in that part of the park - not necessarily what people will be craving but still it might shock Disney into realising they have been doing it wrong, for such a long time.

stlphil

I don't know. I get that HP has done wonders for IOA, but this park's attendance rate ranks lower than Disney's lowest attended theme park by some 2 million plus guests. So, if measured accordingly it's already "swatted" by DHS.

That said, I can't argue that Universal gave Disney a beat down when it comes to overall park "increase" and revenues (possibly). But, they still fall millions of guests short of Disney's lowest attended park. I'm hoping that HP2 will help Universal to at least catch DHS, but that's a tall order. Disney will most certainly respond quickly to that.
When discussing the "battle" between WDW and Uni, it is important to remember that this isn't a game where you simply use current total attendance figures to keep score. Those numbers are almost completely irrelevant to publicly traded companies that ultimately only answer to their investors and Wall Street. As far as the Street is concerned, to put it simply all that matters is "what have you done for me lately?". In other words it is the relative trends that decide who "wins". Wall Street only cares about growth, current levels are meaningless because they are already built into the share price. And based on these criteria, WDW has a long way to go to even start doing any swatting, and they are most likely to lose even more ground starting next year (Potter 2 vs . Mine Coaster anyone?).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom