doctornick

This actually has me thinking. Could this be the reason Avatar was announced in Japan? Disney is trying to get the Japanese fans all excited about Avatar thereby pressuring OLC into building their own land and offsetting some of their own costs?

That was exactly the theory that Jim Hill proposed in his recent article....

doctornick

You'd assume after two years they would know exactly where each nut and bolt will go let alone who's going to pitch for the ride system....

Wouldn't you?

So, I take it that from what you have heard that Disney still only has a concept (riding on a banshee) for "Flight of Passage" at this time? And a specific ride system is not determined yet?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
So, I take it that from what you have heard that Disney still only has a concept (riding on a banshee) for "Flight of Passage" at this time? And a specific ride system is not determined yet?
I thought Flight of Passage was a completely different thing entirely...not even related to Avatar.

doctornick

It has already sadly. The other ride, remember? Cameron wanted it, Disney didn't.

If the anchor turns out to be a fully immersive full motion Pandora's box ride system moving through physical space I'll be eating humble pie and jumping at the front on the line to ride and ride again. If its a motion base infront of a screen - Soarin' 2.0 - then its a huge missed opportunity. Uni got lucky with their Kuka arm attraction coming in at 85 million. WDI would charge that much just for the pens to draw the plans.

It may sound odd, but I think it would be better for Pandora to have 2 rides than 3. Now, I am not arguing that DAK doesn't need rides -- quite the opposite, I think the park needs a lot more rides. But I'd rather see Pandora's budget spent on two rides and make them top notch and immersive. And I'd rather see them use any "extra" money (yeah, I know, go ahead and laugh) and build rides in other areas of the park; especially since I think having 3 rides in Pandora would be such a huge percentage of rides in DAK and make the park feel too Avatar-centric to me.

I live the talk of the night safari and the night time show on the river. Is there any plans at all for any other rides elsewhere in the park? What about the triple level carousel on Discovery Island that was once considered (or even a two level version kind of like the one in Tokyo)? What about a version of A Bug's Land? Or even just adding a ride to Dinorama (two rides ain't much of a midway) or on the open area behind Everest?

If the park is really going to have extended hours, they need more stuff than 2 rides in Pandora and a night show, especially if the daytime parade is gone. I hope they have plans for some other stuff, even if it is smaller things just to round out the park.

doctornick

Regarding the debate over whether "Flight of Passage" will be a Soarin' 2.0 versus a more complex concept (like the Pandora's Box system or Forbidden Journey), I'll point out the discussion in this previous thread where some insiders like @Tim_4 and @pheneix indicated that the leaked blueprints from last year are no longer the plans and that the new concept (at least at that point) featured a ride vehicle that moved from location to location.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Regarding the debate over whether "Flight of Passage" will be a Soarin' 2.0 versus a more complex concept (like the Pandora's Box system or Forbidden Journey), I'll point out the discussion in this previous thread where some insiders like @Tim_4 and @pheneix indicated that the leaked blueprints from last year are no longer the plans and that the new concept (at least at that point) featured a ride vehicle that moved from location to location.
As would a Pandora's Box system.

CDavid

I have posted several times now that with Cameron involved, I don't see this being done through value engineering. He is a perfectionist and extremely intense when it comes to making his movies

The question is just how much input and control James Cameron has over what TWDC does with regard to Avatarland. We already know he wanted the coaster, Disney didn't, so the coaster was cut from the plans. We also know that a key factor which killed any deal with JK Rowling for Harry Potter at Disney was her demanding too much control. So, just how much say is Cameron really going to have when Disney invariably cuts the budget and takes shortcuts with Avatar?

ctxak98

I think it will be something closer to what is experienced at The Land rather than a thrill ride. Just a guess though.
I feel like the AA's used for this will be pretty good. Maybe some of them more distant and not as well articulated and some VERY articulated and up close (like dinosaur/JTTCOTE)

Siren

I am so on the fence.

On the one hand, the people who object to Avatar land because they don't like the movie annoy the heck out of me. Animal Kingdom needs something like this. It's not what I would have chosen, but the expansion addresses some of the needs of the park. That's a good thing.

On the other hand, these are just pretty paintings. We all know the finished project won't look like this. Budgets are likely to be cut. It doesn't open until 2017. It's pretty hard to get excited about what likely amounts to 2 rides (neither one a true E-ticket) opening 4 years from now. Factor in a divisive IP with a questionable fit to the park and I get why people are underwhelmed.

Personally, I'm cool with Avland. Cameron's presence suggests to me that Disney can't gut it completely. I think it will be a good addition to the park - a park that desperately needs more attractions and a night time show.

What I fight upsetting is the possibility that we might not get anything major between the Mine Train and Avland. That would be a travesty. If Disney can get some Star Wars or Pixar stuff in Hollywood Studios between now and 2017, I'll be a reasonably happy camper. But if we have to go three years between major additions, Avland will be too little too late much like the New Fantasyland.

Is that being unreasonable? I don't think so. I really don't think we're being hard to please at all. I don't think Disney is trying very hard to please us.
I do think you are being unreasonable to expect something Star Wars or Pixar related between the completion of Fantasyland and Avatarland. If you expect anything beyond what has been officially announced, you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. Great comment, though.

Siren

i love the idea of avatar but nothing is a potter swatter (yes im looking at you star wars), especially after Diagon Alley...but that doesnt mean Pandora cannot be a tremendous success....it will be different from potter and thats a good thing....any wagers how packed the place will be at night that first summer...ill be there!
I don't know. I get that HP has done wonders for IOA, but this park's attendance rate ranks lower than Disney's lowest attended theme park by some 2 million plus guests. So, if measured accordingly it's already "swatted" by DHS.

That said, I can't argue that Universal gave Disney a beat down when it comes to overall park "increase" and revenues (possibly). But, they still fall millions of guests short of Disney's lowest attended park. I'm hoping that HP2 will help Universal to at least catch DHS, but that's a tall order. Disney will most certainly respond quickly to that.

SirLink

This actually has me thinking. Could this be the reason Avatar was announced in Japan? Disney is trying to get the Japanese fans all excited about Avatar thereby pressuring OLC into building their own land and offsetting some of their own costs?

Seen as they, OLC, are playing hardball over costs for Cars Land - they have show some new thinking in that regard...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom