Adam5897

Until it's made official that Avatar only has one attraction I'm going to take any rumour with a pinch of salt for now. Cameron was obviously given permission from Disney to discuss the project publicly. And he would look rather foolish describing attractions that are not part of the plans. The other reason I remain open minded is that it wasn't long a go that people were saying the Avatar project was dead and burried.

I completely agree with this. It seems as if everything and anything positive and innovative even the impressive remarks made by Cameron (they were clearly said for a reason) seems to get shot down by members of this board. One day the project is dead another day we have a picture of cranes and cleared land. And for the flying banshee ride, I laugh every time I see a comment saying it's basically Soarin because I couldn't disagree more. A lot has been going on at Animal Kingdom lately and Disney has made it known that the park is in for a lot. Call me crazy but I believe they finally get it and they're going to start doing more right than wrong. I think there is so much of a majority for hope of failure for this project in most of these threads and it's really all bitter hate. Its time for everyone to put aside whatever they have against this movie and realize that Disney is moving forward with this project that I believe will be a hit success.

WDWLover#1

I completely agree with this. It seems as if everything and anything positive and innovative even the impressive remarks made by Cameron (they were clearly said for a reason) seems to get shot down by members of this board. One day the project is dead another day we have a picture of cranes and cleared land. And for the flying banshee ride, I laugh every time I see a comment saying it's basically Soarin because I couldn't disagree more. A lot has been going on at Animal Kingdom lately and Disney has made it known that the park is in for a lot. Call me crazy but I believe they finally get it and they're going to start doing more right than wrong. I think there is so much of a majority for hope of failure for this project in most of these threads and it's really all bitter hate. Its time for everyone to put aside whatever they have against this movie and realize that Disney is moving forward with this project that I believe will be a hit success.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The plans look amazing. Disney has been putting out a lot of right things. Slowly but surely. And I think it's because of George coming over from disneyland helps. Imagine it. Meg the witch would never have let the budget be that big for FoF. Disney Springs. Improvements at MK with guest flow. Resorts getting updated and maintained. There's still a lot to do, loads. But they're heading in the right direction.

RSoxNo1

Right, I understand why it happened with the FLE. I just don't understand why they would intentionally open in phases for Pandora. Spreading out costs might be a reason, but this is a 3+ year build plus development that happened before -- over how much more time would they need to spread that out? Honestly, I'd probably just delay the whole thing 6-12 mo and open it all at once if the issue is costs. Just IMHO.
My speculation is that they view the delayed opening as an added bump to the project, allowing them to sell the entirety of the project as "new" for longer.

jt04

I can only hope that they reconsider after seeing the lines that will form at USF for a completely realized Diagon Alley.

They already know what to expect. And Disney will reap some rewards. And not just from the extra marvelous plush being sold at IoA.

I realized that a major addition has opened in Orlando every year for a few years. I expect this symbiotic relationship between the Orlando area theme parks to continue for many years to come.

Win Win.

Figment2005

They already know what to expect. And Disney will reap some rewards. And not just from the extra marvelous plush being sold at IoA.

I realized that a major addition has opened in Orlando every year for a few years. I expect this symbiotic relationship between the Orlando area theme parks to continue for many years to come.

Win Win.
This exactly. Anything new that comes to the Orlando area benefits everyone already here. The only place in the area that could easily occupy a family for more than a day or two is Disney, which means pretty much all the tourists spend time there. Nobody, at least nobody I know, would plan a vacation around a single day. Most, I would expect, would rather take a week off and that would require multiple attractions and areas to keep occupied.

ToTBellHop

This exactly. Anything new that comes to the Orlando area benefits everyone already here. The only place in the area that could easily occupy a family for more than a day or two is Disney, which means pretty much all the tourists spend time there. Nobody, at least nobody I know, would plan a vacation around a single day. Most, I would expect, would rather take a week off and that would require multiple attractions and areas to keep occupied.
However, if those people are spending less time at Disney than they used to, this is a loss for Disney. More importantly, many of these people are not staying at Disney resort hotels, which is a tremendous loss of money for Disney. Crammed parks and empty resorts with 35% discounts off grossly inflated rates should be concerning.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What are the "circumstances" that would lead to a phased opening? I don't get why they wouldn't want it open all at once.

This might be a stretch but I will throw it out there.... It has been reported that Pirates in Shanghai will use a new ride system. Maybe there are plans to use this same system for the Avatar boat ride but they want to wait until the kinks are worked out over there before starting to use it here.

Figment2005

However, if those people are spending less time at Disney than they used to, this is a loss for Disney. More importantly, many of these people are not staying at Disney resort hotels, which is a tremendous loss of money for Disney. Crammed parks and empty resorts with 35% discounts off grossly inflated rates should be concerning.
But they are still visiting, which means it's not a total loss as some might be assuming. Money to Disney is still money to Disney regardless of where else the visitor might be going.

dstrawn9889

This might be a stretch but I will throw it out there.... It has been reported that Pirates in Shanghai will use a new ride system. Maybe there are plans to use this same system for the Avatar boat ride but they want to wait until the kinks are worked out over there before starting to use it here.
so shanghai is getting the "boat" ride that is running on a beam instead of trapped between two bumper rails? where that can rotate the boat on the water to point at the proper show scenes, like the doombuggy and the clammobile? i remember seeing that patent drawing somewhere....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is true...if people stop staying at the WDW hotels. Resort occupancy was up this past quarter. The discounts are the same as they have been for the past few years so it's not due to deep discounts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good way to split the costs too and have the Chinese pay for a chunk of the R&D and design.

RSoxNo1

There are a few things that are interesting here. One, the only thing's Disney has put out there on the boat ride as follows:
  • It is labeled a C-ticket on the leaked blue prints
  • It only appears in a corner of the simulator attraction show building in the leaked blue prints (no blue prints were leaked for the boat ride)
  • A single piece of amazing concept art, actually done by Cameron's people, not Disney
Is it possible that the plan all along was for the boat ride to open after the simulator? Is it possible this isn't a new development?

As for the ride system, I think it's also conceivable that Avatar is built in Shanghai at some point as well. I'm not sure if using the same ride system would prevent that, but I'm sure it will be brought up as a discussion point.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There are a few things that are interesting here. One, the only thing's Disney has put out there on the boat ride as follows:
  • It only appears in a corner of the simulator attraction show building in the leaked blue prints (no blue prints were leaked for the boat ride)
  • A single piece of amazing concept art, actually done by Cameron's people, not Disney
Is it possible that the plan all along was for the boat ride to open after the simulator? Is it possible this isn't a new development?

As for the ride system, I think it's also conceivable that Avatar is built in Shanghai at some point as well. I'm not sure if using the same ride system would prevent that, but I'm sure it will be brought up as a discussion point.

There is only one piece of concept art for the simulator ride (not counting the exterior) which was also done by Cameron's people, and it's possible that the boat ride blue prints existed, they just didn't get leaked, so I don't think either of these points supports the idea that it was always planned to be a phase 2. With that said, it's possible it was always planned to be this way.

What I still find strange is that the submitted a permit to the South Florida Water Management District without having to provide plans for what is being built. I haven't seen another permit for another Disney project that did this. Even the new Lion King theatre had plans.

Last edited:

pug

Sounds like the "land" might now be down to the single simulator attraction, a restaurant, and some shops:

"Massive cost overruns with the MyMagic+ program in Florida, plus ominous budgeting issues looming for Shanghai’s woefully behind construction schedule, all sent Burbank bean counters diving under their desks in horror last fall. The result is that nearly every major addition for theme parks in North America is now shelved. Only a few concepts previously announced are moving forward, but in a downsized format. Avatarland for Disney’s Animal Kingdom, it appears, has now been scaled back to one flying simulator ride, a handful of shops, and a restaurant. ... Also canned are any plans to do much of anything with Disney’s Hollywood Studios in WDW, or even consider anything for years at WDW’s Magic Kingdom once the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train opens next month."

Per MiceAge

In other news, Avatarland could now be as about as much of a land as Pixar Place is :confused:
That would be nice :)

twebber55

There is only one piece of concept art for the simulator ride (not counting the exterior) which was also done by Cameron's people, and it's possible that the boat ride blue prints existed, they just didn't get leaked, so I don't think either of these points supports the idea that it was always planned to be a phase 2. With that said, it's possible it was always planned to be this way.

What I still find strange is that the submitted a permit to the South Florida Water Management District without having to provide plans for what is being built. I haven't seen another permit for another Disney project that did this. Even the new Lion King theatre had plans.
how do they get away with not providing more specific plans....and do you think they are purposely doing this? its as if they know you cant really follow this project because of where it is....

danlb_2000

Premium Member
how do they get away with not providing more specific plans....and do you think they are purposely doing this? its as if they know you cant really follow this project because of where it is....

The documentation that was submitted said that there would be no net gain in non-permeable surfaces, still not sure how they are going to pull that off, but I would think they would still need to submit plans.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

It's also possible the "C-ticket" designation was added either by someone at WDI not in favor of the project or even after the fact by whoever got the plans and those same people are responsible for the rumor it's now cut or delayed. Lots of people both internally and outside of the company are not in favor of this project. It's probably why there have been so many "rumors" and inside sources leaking lots of bad news about AvatarLand. First it was delayed, then canceled, then not canceled but on life support, then concept art came out showing 2 rides and ground was broken so it's definitely happening but now the rumor is the 2nd ride is canceled/delayed. This is Disney so it's very possible the project did move through those various stages, but it's also possible that some of the sources are a little biased against the project too and that's why the only leaks are bad news.

I have no personal inside information so in this case I'm sticking with Cameron's word. He's still talking about several rides and an incredibly detailed land.

jt04

It's also possible the "C-ticket" designation was added either by someone at WDI not in favor of the project or even after the fact by whoever got the plans and those same people are responsible for the rumor it's now cut or delayed. Lots of people both internally and outside of the company are not in favor of this project. It's probably why there have been so many "rumors" and inside sources leaking lots of bad news about AvatarLand. First it was delayed, then canceled, then not canceled but on life support, then concept art came out showing 2 rides and ground was broken so it's definitely happening but now the rumor is the 2nd ride is canceled/delayed. This is Disney so it's very possible the project did move through those various stages, but it's also possible that some of the sources are a little biased against the project too and that's why the only leaks are bad news.

I have no personal inside information so in this case I'm sticking with Cameron's word. He's still talking about several rides and an incredibly detailed land.

Another enlightened poster. There is hope.

jt04

The documentation that was submitted said that there would be no net gain in non-permeable surfaces, still not sure how they are going to pull that off, but I would think they would still need to submit plans.

Aren't there some new fangled sufaces that allow water to pass through into the ground? Just a possibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom