SJN1279

I'm not convinced that the Avatar e-ticket will just be a new version of Soarin. Very few details have been released about the attraction, and I think it is going to be spectacular.

Kman101

How can it not be? You fly on a 'banshee' over screens. It may be a tad different but it's a new version of Soarin'. It's not knocking it on my part, just the truth.

lazyboy97o

I'm not convinced that the Avatar e-ticket will just be a new version of Soarin. Very few details have been released about the attraction, and I think it is going to be spectacular.
You tell su all we know nothing and then declare it spectacular beaded on... nothing?

doctornick

How can it not be? You fly on a 'banshee' over screens. It may be a tad different but it's a new version of Soarin'. It's not knocking it on my part, just the truth.

Well, it's possible that the vehicles move room to room in addition to being in front of a single screen. There's been talk of it perhaps being something like the "Pandora's Box" ride system (Vekoma, I think). I think that's probably pie in the sky hoping by some people, but it's conceivable.

Regardless, even if it is "just like Soarin'", I would expect at a minimum to have a 3D film and greater movements of the seats. Probably even a higher frame rate and variable scenes as well.

Last edited:

Kman101

Oh I have no doubt it will be better than Soarin' in a lot of ways (let's hope!), but at the end of the day, it is just a plussed Soarin'. I'm not knocking it at all, don't get me wrong. I'd love for it to be like the Pandora's Box concept and let's hope it is, but flying over a screen is simply Soarin'. I can see why people would compare them and call it another Soarin'. Even if I do believe it will be more impressive.

WDWLover#1

Reading all the rumours about 1 ride in the land I'm skeptical. Are these the same people that said the parade was going to not have a new soundtrack. The same people that said SDMT animatronics were scaled back and there wasn't even all the dwarves in the ride? I don't know what to believe. Are they real or fake?? IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You mean like New Fantasyland was for 20 months?

This would be even worse. At least with FLE they had repurposed rides to go with LM. Double Dumbo, Barnstormer, Splash Zone. With Avatar they stripped the area to the ground. If they come back with 1 ride it will really stand out (in a park severely lacking rides already). I can't believe I'm even suggesting it, but if they kill the boat ride they better at least replace it with a spinner and a kids splash area. Better than nothing;)

RSoxNo1

I blame you for this atrocity.
Don't shoot the messenger. You know full well I wasn't the only one.

It will be interesting if they Rhine River Cruise this where they have some of the facility built during the initial build. We have the original plans that showed the boat ride going into the main show building for the simulator so I wonder if that area will be prepped for an easier installation.

NoChesterHester

Don't shoot the messenger. You know full well I wasn't the only one.

It will be interesting if they Rhine River Cruise this where they have some of the facility built during the initial build. We have the original plans that showed the boat ride going into the main show building for the simulator so I wonder if that area will be prepped for an easier installation.

I'm lashing out because at this point I just don't know what else to do. So... because you love that sweaty park you are effectively lumped in by association.

I'm just so disappointed.

Have we ever seen a true Phase 2 actually go in?

MerlinTheGoat

There are so many conflicting reports about this that I don't know what to believe anymore...:bored:
Given that this is modern Disney we're discussing, it's almost best at this point (very sad that it has come to this) to assume the worst possible scenario about WDW projects going forward. It helps to curb disappointment when the inevitable budget mutilations happen. And on the rare off chance that the negative rumors end up being wrong, you might have a slim chance of being pleasantly surprised (like the late change to upgrade Mine Train's figures to better animatronics).

It's entirely possible that there's an explanation behind Cameron's comments. One possible reason may be that he simply isn't privy to the newest information regarding the project. It depends on when this change of plans was supposed to have been made that cut the boat out, but Cameron is a busy guy (working on the new movies) and he may not have checked in with Disney for some time to ensure they weren't screwing things up. I don't know how likely this scenario is given Cameron's meticulous and hands-on nature, but if he's busy elsewhere with other things then it would make sense that Disney executives would take the opportunity to slash budgets and cut attractions while his back is turned and hope they can come up with an excuse when he finds out. Though he's going to find out eventually if he doesn't know already, and one thing is certain- his reaction isn't going to be pleasant at all. His relationship with Disney has reportedly been rocky from the beginning. Which also leads into my next potential explanation...

Now I suppose it's also possible that he IS aware of the budget cuts and ride slashing and spoke out on the land as a form of political protest and attempt to hold Disney to their promises. It could well be his way to subtly blast them for their decision in a public setting (without being outwardly negative or saying that not all is well), but also to see whether he can bully them into changing their minds. The timing of his comments just after the rumors were begun on various sites is highly suspicious. And whether he does or doesn't know about the cuts, his comments and promises just set Disney up for massive failure if they don't go through with what he said. He promised MULTIPLE rides among other attractions and they're going to look even more foolish, cheap and incompetent than they already do if they refuse to build a project up to par with those promises.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom