doctornick

And yet....

Honestly, at this point, I'm just waiting for Disney to release official details of the project. They will surely have a blog post or something with a map or list of attractions in 6 months or a year. And, yes, even after then things can change. But I'm not going to get worked up about rumors at this point, since they seem to be all over the map.

juan

Well based on recent experience, we can have public announcements and even blueprints in hand of crappy plan A, but still end up with better plan B.
-Hyperion Wharf ---> Disney Springs built
-Princess cottages in FLE ---> 7DMT built
-Scaled back Ratatouille in DLP ---> original version built

While there may be many signs pointing to the phased opening, I'm optimistic that the original Avatar plans will be built.

mm121

Well, it's possible that the vehicles move room to room in addition to being in front of a single screen. There's been talk of it perhaps being something like the "Pandora's Box" ride system (Vekoma, I think). I think that's probably pie in the sky hoping by some people, but it's conceivable.

Regardless, even if it is "just like Soarin'", I would expect at a minimum to have a 3D film and greater movements of the seats. Probably even a higher frame rate and variable scenes as well.

WOW if they do use Pandora's Box this is going to be awesome!

rioriz

Seeing the most recent interview with Cameron talking about the animatronics makes me believe the boat ride is very much still on the plate even if it will have a SDMT opening. That is the only place the Navi animatronics have been mentioned to be

Malin

Until it's made official that Avatar only has one attraction I'm going to take any rumour with a pinch of salt for now. Cameron was obviously given permission from Disney to discuss the project publicly. And he would look rather foolish describing attractions that are not part of the plans. The other reason I remain open minded is that it wasn't long a go that people were saying the Avatar project was dead and burried.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Until it's made official that Avatar only has one attraction I'm going to take any rumour with a pinch of salt for now. Cameron was obviously given permission from Disney to discuss the project publicly. And he would look rather foolish describing attractions that are not part of the plans. The other reason I remain open minded is that it wasn't long a go that people were saying the Avatar project was dead and burried.
They would correct you at this point and say not dead, but "on life support".

It seems to me that there is a lack of solid info about this project. It almost seems like Disney has locked this thing down possibly to avoid the rampant leaks from past projects. I think I read somewhere that the Avatar design team was moved to a separate building away from WDI.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They would correct you at this point and say not dead, but "on life support".

It seems to me that there is a lack of solid info about this project. It almost seems like Disney has locked this thing down possibly to avoid the rampant leaks from past projects. I think I read somewhere that the Avatar design team was moved to a separate building away from WDI.

It was also unusual that for a project this big, that the permit filed with the South Florida Water Management District had no plans for what is being built. Another case of hiding info about the project.

NoChesterHester

Like @GoofGoof said there was not only ONE ride in that land. Like I said if you read my post, I don't think they are going to only have ONE ride for opening.

I can read just fine. Thanks. I understood what you said and my response was intended to be tongue and cheek. If you are that sensitive to yell then perhaps you need a stuff drink.

There is zero evidence of more than two rides. No poster is claiming that any current plans include three rides. If the current rumblings are true (from trusted people mind you) that ONE ride was cut, then that leaves the two ride expansion plans with ONE ride.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can read just fine. Thanks. I understood what you said and my response was intended to be tongue and cheek. If you are that sensitive to yell then perhaps you need a stuff drink.

There is zero evidence of more than two rides. No poster is claiming that any current plans include three rides. If the current rumblings are true (from trusted people mind you) that ONE ride was cut, then that leaves the two ride expansion plans with ONE ride.
Cameron did say "several rides and a number of other attractions". One definition of several is more than 2 but not many. Wishing for more than 2 is probably just greedy:greedy: I have no reason to believe there will be more than 2 rides, but it's possible there will be 2 rides and at least 1 other hybrid attraction like a walk through or elaborate meet and greet (I'm thinking Enchanted Tales - not technically a ride but still an attraction). Another option would be a kiddie soak area like Casey's or a playground like Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Again, not a traditional ride, but another attraction. Or they could just bring in carnival rides and theme them to Avatar...scratch that, my sources tell me that's already been done nearby;)

NoChesterHester

Cameron did say "several rides and a number of other attractions". One definition of several is more than 2 but not many. Wishing for more than 2 is probably just greedy:greedy: I have no reason to believe there will be more than 2 rides, but it's possible there will be 2 rides and at least 1 other hybrid attraction like a walk through or elaborate meet and greet (I'm thinking Enchanted Tales - not technically a ride but still an attraction). Another option would be a kiddie soak area like Casey's or a playground like Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Again, not a traditional ride, but another attraction. Or they could just bring in carnival rides and theme them to Avatar...scratch that, my sources tell me that's already been done nearby;)

I agree with Cameron and the rest of you. I don't want this rumor to be true at all. A land isn't a land without multiple rides.

RSoxNo1

I received additional clarity today. I don't think this is truly a phase 2 purgatory that so many of us fear. It looks like the River Ride won't be brand new construction if they give it the green light. It sounds more likely that it will just be something that opens up later than the rest of the land. While the circumstances around it are different, it sounds similar to the time frame for Mermaid and Mine Train.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I received additional clarity today. I don't think this is truly a phase 2 purgatory that so many of us fear. It looks like the River Ride won't be brand new construction if they give it the green light. It sounds more likely that it will just be something that opens up later than the rest of the land. While the circumstances around it are different, it sounds similar to the time frame for Mermaid and Mine Train.

Good to hear.

Spirit mentioned in his thread that after talking to a friend he is more confident now that it will not be a phase 2 and will open some time closer to the rest of the land.

2 reputable sources hearing the same thing has to be a positive:)

doctornick

What are the "circumstances" that would lead to a phased opening? I don't get why they wouldn't want it open all at once.

RSoxNo1

What are the "circumstances" that would lead to a phased opening? I don't get why they wouldn't want it open all at once.
Meaning that in New Fantasyland there was a change to the project midstream. With Avatar it seems like this was planned from the beginning. By all accounts it has always been a simulator and a boat ride.

doctornick

Meaning that in New Fantasyland there was a change to the project midstream. With Avatar it seems like this was planned from the beginning. By all accounts it has always been a simulator and a boat ride.

Right, I understand why it happened with the FLE. I just don't understand why they would intentionally open in phases for Pandora. Spreading out costs might be a reason, but this is a 3+ year build plus development that happened before -- over how much more time would they need to spread that out? Honestly, I'd probably just delay the whole thing 6-12 mo and open it all at once if the issue is costs. Just IMHO.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Right, I understand why it happened with the FLE. I just don't understand why they would intentionally open in phases for Pandora. Spreading out costs might be a reason, but this is a 3+ year build plus development that happened before -- over how much more time would they need to spread that out? Honestly, I'd probably just delay the whole thing 6-12 mo and open it all at once if the issue is costs. Just IMHO.
I agree. Open it all at once.

One unanticipated side effect of FLE staggered opening was they got 2 grand openings from one project. Bring all the lifestylers, locals and die hands out twice means more money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom