Automatic Gratuity with the DDP

JamieD

We got back from the World a few weeks ago, and sorry if this has been discussed in a previous thread. Our party of 8 (two rooms) used the DDP. Before I state my displeasure with the auto-grat, know that I have delivered pizzas and waited tables, so I understand tipping. I do however think that it's my decision as a consumer. Tipping is a voluntary gift to show appreciation. When did we start letting businesses dictate how much? Why is the tip tied to how much you spent? When does the percentage of the check quit going up? Does the waiter at a fine dining restaurant (or Disney TS) work 5 or 10 times harder than the guy at Friday's?

On to my experience, our party, using two plans, ate at two character buffets. The breakfast buffet tip was just shy on $20, while the dinner buffet was nearly $40. A $40 tip at a buffet? I think that's crazy! I know someone is going to say not to eat there if you can't afford the tip. Both servers removed our dining credits and then stated that we owed the tip. When questioned, one server said the company mandated that we pay the 18% gratuity.

When we returned, I researched the rules/laws of tipping. Some states allows the auto-grat. Others say it's voluntary and must be removed if requested. A few even state that it's OK if it's called at "service charge" or posted in plain sight. I called Disney to comment about our trip...both goods and not-so-goods. I received a call from Guest Services, stating that the tipping system is in place to keep up with the norms in the Orlando area. Disney doesn't want their employees to feel like they got cheated. Understandable. She then said that while it's the standard practice, it's up to the guest to decide. Wow, that's not what I heard from the servers, who obviously would want the auto-grat. Just thought you should know that you're entitled to leave the tip that you feel is appropriate, no matter what the server says. Thank you for your time and feel free to call me cheap.

sueuk

I don't think they should automatically add it at a buffet regardless of the party size.

The guest does all the work at a buffet except for beverages.

:)
I don't think a tip should EVER be added automatically, it should always be left up to the diner to decide if they had good service or not and tip accordingly (- taking into account the recommended %). There will always be some people who will not tip, but most will tip well if they are given good service.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Also keep in mind that in some other countries, the tip is considered part of the meal charge. I was in NYC in the Theatre district ( West 42nd street & Broadway area) and several restaurants there automatically add in the tip into your bill because of this very fact as they have visitors from all parts of the world. Just an FYI. Belle

Upvote 0

yankspy

I am a mechanic and i work as quickly and accuratly as i can to ensure that the customer gets his/her car back as soon as possible and repaired properly.The amount of money i make on that car makes no difference.Servers aren't the only people who work hard and should do so for pride in what they do then the tip situation will take of itself!
Kind of funny that I used that as an example. That is my point though. A server should be no different than you in that they will perform their job well even if they know they are getting paid. Now I realize that there will be some slackers who take advantage of that situation but that is the case in any profession.

Upvote 0

King David

I am going in December and will have the dining plan- it will be my family of 4, plus my parents- who booked everything separate- rooms, tix,etc- so if we eat together as a group of 6, will we be charged the "auto tip" for a large party, will we not be charged because it's only "auto" for party's greater than 6, or will there be no "auto tip" because we're not on the same "plan", thus always paying separate...

I normally tip 20% anyway (well, maybe not buffets), but this thread got me thinking...

Thanks.

Upvote 0

inkyblacks

With an auto-gratuity added in does the restaurant assume you got great service or guarantee it? :shrug:

Shouldn't this thread be in the Restaurants and Dining section anyway?

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I am going in December and will have the dining plan- it will be my family of 4, plus my parents- who booked everything separate- rooms, tix,etc- so if we eat together as a group of 6, will we be charged the "auto tip" for a large party, will we not be charged because it's only "auto" for party's greater than 6, or will there be no "auto tip" because we're not on the same "plan", thus always paying separate...

I normally tip 20% anyway (well, maybe not buffets), but this thread got me thinking...

Thanks.
If the party at the table is six or more, you will be charged an 18% gratuity. It doesn't have anything to do with how you booked your package or how you divide up the bill.

Upvote 0

yankspy

With an auto-gratuity added in does the restaurant assume you got great service or guarantee it? :shrug:

Shouldn't this thread be in the Restaurants and Dining section anyway?
There is a great way to avoid this. Before any gratuity is added to a check a manager should visit the table and ask about the experience. If the table says that everything was great then the gratuity gets added. If there is the slightest complaint, then it should not be added.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

two things:

1: I can't remember the last time I saw a restaurant ANYWHERE (not just WDW) that didn't specify on the menu that some measure of gratuity is added to parties of 8 (sometimes as low as 6) or more. The only thing I can say for a restaurant like a buffet that might not have menus is that it ought to be posted somewhere (and perhaps, in this case, it was but not noticed). It shouldn't be a surprise for anyone who regularly eats at any restaurant in the USA.

2: Buffet wait servers don't have to take your order, but they do usually have to clear more plates. And they're still filling drink orders and making sure all is well. I have no proble, tipping them.

Completely off-topic, but what, if anythingm do you tip in restaurants OUTSIDE of WDW that do takeout? Someone is still taking your oder and plating it, going to your car to drop it off and take your ,pmey, but they're not at your beck and call whiist you eat. For example, if I order takeout at Applebee's, I usually tip 10%, because I figure they're doing at least a third less than if I were eating there.

Upvote 0

JamieD

Original Poster
Completely off-topic, but what, if anythingm do you tip in restaurants OUTSIDE of WDW that do takeout? Someone is still taking your oder and plating it, going to your car to drop it off and take your ,pmey, but they're not at your beck and call whiist you eat. For example, if I order takeout at Applebee's, I usually tip 10%, because I figure they're doing at least a third less than if I were eating there.

I really think the restaurants put us in an awkward position. While in the senario you named, it's nice for them to bring it to your car, I would guess that you would be just as happy to park and go in to pick it up. But the way it's set-up, you receive the credit card slip with the place to insert a tip. You wonder if the employee is considered a "server." And, as someone else stated, it seems that everyone wants a tip! I compare this situation to picking up a pizza. You call, place your order and head to the store to pick up your order. If you went to Pizza Hut to pick up your pie, would you tip the employee at the counter?

Upvote 0

Rob562

I really think the restaurants put us in an awkward position. While in the senario you named, it's nice for them to bring it to your car, I would guess that you would be just as happy to park and go in to pick it up. But the way it's set-up, you receive the credit card slip with the place to insert a tip. You wonder if the employee is considered a "server." And, as someone else stated, it seems that everyone wants a tip! I compare this situation to picking up a pizza. You call, place your order and head to the store to pick up your order. If you went to Pizza Hut to pick up your pie, would you tip the employee at the counter?

I occasionally order takeout from the 99 Restaurant near me (it's a northeast restaurant chain). A couple years ago they started adding a "packaging charge" of 3% onto the order. (The first time I was charged it, it came as a surprise because I was ordering off an old menu I had at home. All new menus had the fee mentioned)

I know they have 15-minute parking spaces for picking up takeout orders, but I don't know if they come out to your car like Applebee's. I always go in, and I have no problem in not tipping the person who walks 25' to get my order from the kitchen...

-Rob

Upvote 0

Candyland

Having been a server for many years I do completely understand the fact that servers make a very low salary per hour so I do tend to be a good tipper.

However, at a place like Disney, where restaurants STAY busy, tipping 18% on buffet is being a little overpaid in my opinion.

We rarely spend much more than an hour at a buffet. If my party of 8 (2 tables) end up paying $40.00 for a tip, this means our server is making AT LEAST $40.00 per hour. Now, I understand that not everybody leaves a tip and they get stiffed much more than they deserve, but I'm pretty sure they are making a decent amount on tips. I'm so glad I read this site because when we are eating at buffets, I do plan to ask them to remove the tip and allow me to make that decision on my own. I don't think servers at a buffet deserve to make the same amount in tips as a server at Coral Reef or 50's Prime Time.

I am wondering about O'hana's. We have a similiar restaraunt in our city and I do tip EXTRA well there because I know the servers have to split their tips with the men who bring the meat skewers from table to table.
Does anyone know if the same is true at O'hana!

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

We have the Tables in Wonderland card. Even tho you're supposed to tell the servers about it when you 1st sit down we have stopped doing this. It seems like once they know we're TiW & they know they'll have the guaranteed 18% (because it's automatic w/TiW) then the service isn't as good. More than once we did not tell the server we had the card, the service was not good, we kept the card to ourselves, ate the 20% discount, and left the tip that was deserved. This was our experience in January this year. In May this year I sat down & had a heart-to-heart chat with a friend of mine who is currently a server in a TS restaurant at WDW and has been for many years. I explained what we did and he said he would do the same if he were in our shoes. He has talked with other servers about this very thing and, yes, we're right. There are servers currently there who don't feel the need to work as hard if they know the gratuity is guaranteed. My arguement to that was "Why not? Don't they know that if the service is good I'm going to leave them more than that they've already gotten?" My friend understands this, that's his thinking, and he doesn't have many bad experiences. In comparison to other national chain type eating establishments (ie. Chilis, Applebees, Outback, etc.) these CMs are making good money even on waitress/waiter wages. Like a lot of other people in these positions in restaurants that aren't at WDW, the CMs do pull a lot of extra shifts. They make great money, tho. Ask them how long they've worked there. Many have worked there for very, very long periods of time. My friend has for like 10 years. He also told me he knows at least one but thinks it's a few other servers in other locations who have pulled down 6 digits in a year. Not bad but they worked really hard to do it. I'm sure these aren't the folks half-arsin' it because they have the guaranteed 18%.

As for the buffets, I personally have no problem tipping just as much as any other restaurant with a menu to order from. Why? If you think about it, those folks come to the table to refill drinks, remove plates, bring creamer for coffee, make sure everything is good, etc. just as many if not more times than non-buffet restaurants. In my eyes, they've earned the same consideration from me.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We have the Tables in Wonderland card. Even tho you're supposed to tell the servers about it when you 1st sit down we have stopped doing this. It seems like once they know we're TiW & they know they'll have the guaranteed 18% (because it's automatic w/TiW) then the service isn't as good. More than once we did not tell the server we had the card, the service was not good, we kept the card to ourselves, ate the 20% discount, and left the tip that was deserved. This was our experience in January this year. In May this year I sat down & had a heart-to-heart chat with a friend of mine who is currently a server in a TS restaurant at WDW and has been for many years. I explained what we did and he said he would do the same if he were in our shoes. He has talked with other servers about this very thing and, yes, we're right. There are servers currently there who don't feel the need to work as hard if they know the gratuity is guaranteed. My arguement to that was "Why not? Don't they know that if the service is good I'm going to leave them more than that they've already gotten?" My friend understands this, that's his thinking, and he doesn't have many bad experiences. In comparison to other national chain type eating establishments (ie. Chilis, Applebees, Outback, etc.) these CMs are making good money even on waitress/waiter wages. Like a lot of other people in these positions in restaurants that aren't at WDW, the CMs do pull a lot of extra shifts. They make great money, tho. Ask them how long they've worked there. Many have worked there for very, very long periods of time. My friend has for like 10 years. He also told me he knows at least one but thinks it's a few other servers in other locations who have pulled down 6 digits in a year. Not bad but they worked really hard to do it. I'm sure these aren't the folks half-arsin' it because they have the guaranteed 18%.

As for the buffets, I personally have no problem tipping just as much as any other restaurant with a menu to order from. Why? If you think about it, those folks come to the table to refill drinks, remove plates, bring creamer for coffee, make sure everything is good, etc. just as many if not more times than non-buffet restaurants. In my eyes, they've earned the same consideration from me.
So, if you tell them you have TiW you get worse service sometimes, but if you don't tell them you have it and get worse service, you spend more money in order to have the server get less? :brick:

Sounds to me like you occasionally get bad service whether you tell them up front about your TiW card or not. But I don't understand paying full price in order to tip them less... Best case, you're losing the 2% difference between tip and discount, worst case you're losing that plus whatever you decide is a more appropriate tip.

As has been stated before, if you get bad service, you can ask for a Manager and have them remove the tip that is imposed by telling the Manager that your server was bad. That way, you still benefit from your discount and are in a position to leave the tip you believe is warranted.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

So, if you tell them you have TiW you get worse service sometimes, but if you don't tell them you have it and get worse service, you spend more money in order to have the server get less? :brick:

Sounds to me like you occasionally get bad service whether you tell them up front about your TiW card or not. But I don't understand paying full price in order to tip them less... Best case, you're losing the 2% difference between tip and discount, worst case you're losing that plus whatever you decide is a more appropriate tip.

As has been stated before, if you get bad service, you can ask for a Manager and have them remove the tip that is imposed by telling the Manager that your server was bad. That way, you still benefit from your discount and are in a position to leave the tip you believe is warranted.

Monty, sometimes the couple bucks are worth the peace of mind. I know it seems silly or wasteful but if it keeps the old man from fuming it's money well spent in my book. :p I think the worst we did with the omitting the TiW card was leave $60 cash for a $58+change check just because we didn't have any small bills and didn't want to wait another week for the fella to bring our change.

I had no idea we had the option of having a manager remove the automatic gratuity. That's news to me. I guess because I never asked I assumed the gratuity wasn't optional in any sense of the word. I guess that's what assuming get's me, huh? LOL! From here on out we'll speak with a manager when the service is seriously sub-par. I'm happy to have options. That makes me feel a whoooole lot better! :wave:

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Here's a question/scenerio...Let's say you were on the Dining Plan and then you got the "bill" for the 18% gratuity and decided to leave less (in cash) and then left the restaurant. Would the server automatically charge your room the difference?

Upvote 0
My DH works in the Service industry delivering pizza. It seems that Disney servers can make in 2 hours what he makes in an entire night & they get to stay inside free from heat, rain, or whatever else the Florida weather brings. I honestly don't think that a buffet server works any harder than he does. So I have to say that my sympathies don't run to deep for the servers in this situation.

Now TS servers, that is a whole other ball game. I think they fully deserve the 18% to 20% for the larger tables, b/c I know that is harder work. It can be hard to find a good TS server, it is not hard to find a good busser. I pretty much see buffet servers as glorified bussers.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

^^^^

Glorified bussers who keep your glasses full, make sure everything is to your liking, ensure you have everything you need, and (when applicable) make sure you've seen the characters and have had plenty of cream for your coffee. If they visit my table as many times as any other TS server and ensure that my dining experience is top-notch then, to me, they earned the same as any other server because they've effectively done the exact same job in that sense. To each their own, I suppose. I just hate to short change people who work hard no matter what job they do.:animwink:

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Here's a question/scenerio...Let's say you were on the Dining Plan and then you got the "bill" for the 18% gratuity and decided to leave less (in cash) and then left the restaurant. Would the server automatically charge your room the difference?

That's an interesting question. Hhmmm. I dunno. :shrug:

Upvote 0

yankspy

They could get into a lot of trouble doing that. In essence they would be billing your C.C. without your knowledge so that is a no-no.
^^^^

Glorified bussers who keep your glasses full, make sure everything is to your liking, ensure you have everything you need, and (when applicable) make sure you've seen the characters and have had plenty of cream for your coffee. If they visit my table as many times as any other TS server and ensure that my dining experience is top-notch then, to me, they earned the same as any other server because they've effectively done the exact same job in that sense. To each their own, I suppose. I just hate to short change people who work hard no matter what job they do.:animwink:
We agree on this one.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom