Automated monorail system update

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
do you think this upgrade (switching to PTC) would be more probable to happen .. ? or the other 2 other suggestions? like what Tom suggested (Ie, fixing electrical lines) or upgrading the communication backbone ?

I think its little to do with automation and more to necessary maintenance. ( and while they're out their digging up the monorail right of way, let's lay down some much needed fiber.)

Bacalou

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

I don't know if this have been posted...

Thales Project List - https://www.thalesgroup.com/sites/default/files/asset/document/2013_Master_Project_List.pdf

Here is an overview of the upgrade technology they're installing...

A flyer for the system being specifically installed at WDW...
https://www.thalesgroup.com/sites/default/files/asset/document/SelTracBrochure_CBTCSolutions_eng.pdf

Nice find!
Looks like it could be the first step toward a fully automated system.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks! I am a long time reader and thought I finally had something to add to the discussion here. I'm always watching the transportation systems at WDW since Walt himself had such extreme interest it in. Now if they could just replace the aged DC rail system of the Monorails with a linear motor drive. :)
Welcome aboard - glad to have you posting

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thanks! I am a long time reader and thought I finally had something to add to the discussion here. I'm always watching the transportation systems at WDW since Walt himself had such extreme interest it in. Now if they could just replace the aged DC rail system of the Monorails with a linear motor drive. :)

Linear motors have their own challenges especially in the control electronics, Advanced AC motors would be a step up as they are lighter and smaller and allow for regenerative braking which would save wear on the drivetrain and reduce energy cost at the same time.

Either Linear or AC Motors would be a step up from current system.

PeterAlt

PeterAlt

Linear motors have their own challenges especially in the control electronics, Advanced AC motors would be a step up as they are lighter and smaller and allow for regenerative braking which would save wear on the drivetrain and reduce energy cost at the same time.

Either Linear or AC Motors would be a step up from current system.
In Miami, they are upgrading Metrorail from DC to AC motors...

PeterAlt

I'm glad I'm not the only one here sharing that interest! Welcome aboard

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In Miami, they are upgrading Metrorail from DC to AC motors...

AC motors have a LOT of advantages most notably weight and regenerative braking where the motor is switched to alternator mode and power is fed back onto the power grid. It also means that instead of requiring rectifier banks with grid interlinks you can simply use the rails as transmission lines and boost voltage with transformers as required or use a grid link for power.

Mouse_Trap

No high speed trains are built to run on a third rail. They do not share tracks with those systems because those systems are designed to be entirely local and not connect to a larger network.

Not all, the Eurostar system running from London through to France uses overhead power and at times a third rail.

Actually I think it may not use the third rail anymore since a lot of high speed upgrades were made, but it was definitely designed to run in such mode and indeed did so for about 15 years.

rudyjr13

Paraphrase of a convo I had tonight. Thought you all would get a laugh.

2/10 9:25is pm

Me: so how's the upgrade going?
Resort line station CM: It's going well so far.
Me: so they are going to make all the trains automated?
Resort line station CM: yeah that's the plan but we will see how well it works with the older trains (heavy doubt in his tone of voice)
Me: hey, just busy new trains
Resort line station CM: if it was only that easy...

Bacalou

I'm glad I'm not the only one here sharing that interest! Welcome aboard
I've been following your monorail speculation and rumor threads and posts for a long time. If you ever wondered what really gets in the way of monorail expansions here in Orlando I have some answers for you. They are manufactured at Concrete Technology Corporation in Tacoma, Washington. The cost of the beams themselves isn't so much as an issue as the transport of them to their final destination and the labor costs of the installation. But why would WDW invest in a Monorail expansion now? Well, they are investing a large sum of money into Pandora (It isn't called Avatarland) and Animal Kingdom is the very worst connected of all four parks. How would they connect the new line? Well, monorail switches are not unheard of... ;)

PeterAlt

I've been following your monorail speculation and rumor threads and posts for a long time. If you ever wondered what really gets in the way of monorail expansions here in Orlando I have some answers for you. They are manufactured at Concrete Technology Corporation in Tacoma, Washington. The cost of the beams themselves isn't so much as an issue as the transport of them to their final destination and the labor costs of the installation. But why would WDW invest in a Monorail expansion now? Well, they are investing a large sum of money into Pandora (It isn't called Avatarland) and Animal Kingdom is the very worst connected of all four parks. How would they connect the new line? Well, monorail switches are not unheard of... ;)
Are you suggesting monorail will go to AK?

It could run on mostly at grade on its way there to save a bundle of money.

Where I live in West Palm Beach, we have a gigantic concrete manufacturer that I pass by every day on my way to just about any where. I just can't imagine that Disney would have to use a manufacturer all the way in WA state....

Bacalou

Are you suggesting monorail will go to AK?

It could run on mostly at grade on its way there to save a bundle of money.

Where I live in West Palm Beach, we have a gigantic concrete manufacturer that I pass by every day on my way to just about any where. I just can't imagine that Disney would have to use a manufacturer all the way in WA state....
In my opinion a monorail line to Animal Kingdom is highly likely. I also believe that AK monorails could depart from both stations on the existing Epcot line through the use of switches. Current switches installed at WDW are not for continued use but there are monorail installations with switches circuits in use elsewhere.

That manufacturer is just who has built all of the USA based Disney monorail beams.

PeterAlt

In my opinion a monorail line to Animal Kingdom is highly likely. I also believe that AK monorails could depart from both stations on the existing Epcot line through the use of switches. Current switches installed at WDW are not for continued use but there are monorail installations with switches circuits in use elsewhere.

That manufacturer is just who has built all of the USA based Disney monorail beams.
You're preaching to the preacher! Lol

Seriously, my idea is that they install a switch on the EPCOT line at World Drive before it turns east and then south to EC.

A switch at that location could allow continuation straight ahead for just 2/3 a mile until it reaches DHS. At that point, it would simply end. No loop. The trains would then back up and switch tracks to go north and switch to the EC loop.

The dead end at DHS could one day allow for a further extension to DAK.

PeterAlt

It's exciting living here in South Florida, where we have the Metromover system in Miami. It is the biggest automated system in the US. Unlike the Detroit Peoplemover, it uses rubber tires for a quiet and comfortable journey. It has four programmed loops on interconnected guideway with a single rail for electrification. Billions and billions of dollars of new downtown developments are now under construction incorporating Metromover stations into their structures. When all of this is finished, it is going to look like something out of science fiction and will look more futuristic than Disney's Tomorrowland!

The city is currently exploring ways to expand the system. Separately, there is talk of a new light rail system to the beach. I'm pushing for a Metromover extension to the beach instead.

Bacalou

You're preaching to the preacher! Lol

Seriously, my idea is that they install a switch on the EPCOT line at World Drive before it turns east and then south to EC.

A switch at that location could allow continuation straight ahead for just 2/3 a mile until it reaches DHS. At that point, it would simply end. No loop. The trains would then back up and switch tracks to go north and switch to the EC loop.

The dead end at DHS could one day allow for a further extension to DAK.
Oh I know I am. :) For a switched Monorail network, an automated system of controlling the trains is almost a necessity. I believe that all the current switched networks use automated trains as well.

Where do I think the switches would be? One would be at [28.378458, -81.560495] for the turn south towards AK and the other would be at [28.381622,-81.566439] for the return to the TTC.

I don't believe there will be a DHS extension until the park has undergone some overhauls. As it sits, I don't think it would be a wise investment.

Just saw your new post... I know that the All Aboard Florida project will have a Disney line in Phase 2.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom