Automated monorail system update

dstrawn9889

red, blue, green, black, silver, gold, yellow, lime, coral, orange, pink*, purple*, teal, peach
14 total monorails and a set of cabs reused... 12*2+2=26 or am i incorrect and they rebuilt the #1 from purple and the #5(6) from pink for peach instead of purchasing replacements?

peachykeen

Both cabs from both trains were rebuilt.

Cab 1 of Teal is the old Cab 1 of Pink, and Cab 6 of Teal is the old Cab 6 of Purple. Peach has two brand new cabs. I was there the night Teal was first tested, and the paint job wasn't great and you could actually see the old colors in the door jams. And when someone would key the radio from either of the cabs, it would show up as Pink/Purple on the other radios on the system. It was kind of surreal.

dstrawn9889

Cab 1 of Teal is the old Cab 1 of Pink, and Cab 6 of Teal is the old Cab 6 of Purple. Peach has two brand new cabs. I was there the night Teal was first tested, and the paint job wasn't great and you could actually see the old colors in the door jams. And when someone would key the radio from either of the cabs, it would show up as Pink/Purple on the other radios on the system. It was kind of surreal.
the loss of Austin must still be felt today, the young man looked like the model WDW employee from all the cab videos i have seen...

bh7812

Regardless of what happens with the automation, I will always take extreme pride in being able to say I was able to pilot all 14 different colors of Walt Disney World MkVI Monorails (and from all 24 cabs.)

Despite the internal "drama" that led me to eventually leave the department, I will always miss the feeling of closing the cab door behind me and knowing I was in control of such an iconic machine, and that only a maximum of 11 other people in the world were doing what I was doing at that moment.

Driving the monorail was, for me, a dream-come-true job and something I am glad I will be able to tell people for the rest of my life.

Good luck to my fellow railies with the upcoming changes!

One rail...

Your post sums up why getting one chance to do that job, even if it's just for a brief while, has meant so much to me all these years. It's also why I'm still still so heart set on this. For this job I'm definitely willing to completely relocate to Orlando from Chicago. Outside of my family, there's absolutely nothing holding me down here that would prevent me from making the move. Outside of family I feel there's nothing left up here for me anymore. I feel in my heart my future isn't here in the Midwest. My heart left for Florida years ago. Right now, my goal is to finally actually take the first step towards this and apply by the middle of March, at the latest. If I do manage to pull this off and get in, I'll wait until after I've been hired to apply to get into UCF. I need to do one thing at a time and the first, most immediate step is getting the application to Disney in. A lot does need to happen pretty fast but I think I'll manage okay :) make no mistake though, if I get in, I'm going to be telling my current job the job I'm doing now is simply not worth it, that I made my dream come true and got the job I should have to begin with and that my heart left here many years ago. They'll get adequate notice but they will definitely be told straight out why I will be exiting stage right from where I'm working now.

But thank you for that great post, it sums up perfectly why this dream and chance have been so important to myself and I'm sure 100s of others :) as well as the people who've actually gotten to do it. To me, they're the luckiest people in the world.

Figment2005

Has this issue gotten worse? I thought it was only an issue on days where the temp got below 40?
We didn't experience any setbacks this year, as far as I know, so things have not gotten worse. It is amazing how far they will expand and contract though.

montyz81

Any update on this? I am holding out hope that a new fleet will be apart of this effort because the cost to refit 20 year old trains is just not worth it.

dstrawn9889

so all old hardware for the 'guinea pig', any one of 'em would have been fine, except peach, with the newer cabs(physically, not electronically)

Figment2005

so all old hardware for the 'guinea pig', any one of 'em would have been fine, except peach, with the newer cabs(physically, not electronically)
The new system is being installed along side the older computers. I'm not sure how much of the old processes the new computers will be taking, but I do know that the old MAPO positioning system is going the way of the dodo.

spectrodanny

Can u still ride in the pilot cabin DL?

yes. bu that's not the only neat experience you can do in California, you can also ride on the tender of Engines 1,2 & 4 of the Disneyland Railroad or the Lilly Belle train car, all that's required to do either one is that you board at Main Street & make the full round trip. you also have the opportunity to ride in the pilot house and steer the Mark Twain

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom