Automated monorail system update

GrumpyFan

How many more facts like that are "hiding" from me?

All of them! ;)

Oh dear. Really?

Thales were the contractor for Manchesters LRT signalling and control upgrade. After years of errors it's ended in the courts.

It was pure speculation. Upon further thought, it may just be an upgrade to MAPO to a more advanced system. Of course, this could transition and be used for an automated system, but I don't know anything official. In regards to the Manchester LRT situation though, I would hope their software has improved since then to resolve many of the issues.

PeterAlt

Phase one beams were originally. Later they were pressed on site. Disney actually purchased the pressing plant to do any future expansions cheaper themselves in house and on property.
Stop teasing me with bits and pieces of information I had no clue about! You started this one. So, please finish the story! What happened?

Also, the sale to Bombardier was mentioned. My info on this is very sketchy to say the least. When exactly was this? What other information about it do you know? Details! Please....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is the kind of fact that I didn't know, should have known about, need to know, and wish I had known about. How many more facts like that are "hiding" from me?

Not hiding it's just if you are not a civil engineer you are not likely to be looking in the right places, one of the PM's at my shop is a civil engineer with a stamp and everything and he would routinely amaze me by finding stuff which I had no idea existed for construction projects.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
All of them! ;)

It was pure speculation. Upon further thought, it may just be an upgrade to MAPO to a more advanced system. Of course, this could transition and be used for an automated system, but I don't know anything official. In regards to the Manchester LRT situation though, I would hope their software has improved since then to resolve many of the issues.

THALES is after all a defense contractor, So install hardware which is about 30% functional and then charge for fixing what should have worked in the first place

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Big question is wired or wireless positive train control, I suspect it will be wireless but wired has reliability advantages that wireless does not, And it's been around since the 1930's when the GG1's had cab signal repeaters so the engineer had a duplicate of the upcoming signal in the cab of the GG1 on the NE corridor between DC and Boston, US speed record of 156 MPH was set by a GG1 before the Acela broke it.

Last edited:

Bacalou

N/m... It made sense when I typed it. It no longer makes any sense.
I think posting at 2:35am EST may have contributed too... :)
Big question is wired or wireless positive train control, I suspect it will be wireless but wired has reliability advantages that wireless does not, And it's been around since the 1930's when the GG1's had cab signal repeaters so the engineer had a duplicate of the upcoming signal in the cab of the GG1 on the NE corridor between DC and Boston, US speed record of 156 MPH was set by a GG1 before the Acela broke it.
The system Thales is installing is wired to the sensors and then wireless to the train. I posted a pretty good video which explains the system like the one being installed at WDW and is in use elsewhere.

The official project is classified as SelTrac CBTC/R – UTO. CBTC is "communications-based train control" and the UTO part is "Unattended Train Operation". You can take the information I posted yesterday as definite confirmation that Disney is and has begun the process of making their Monorails automatic (UTO).

Update: I just confirmed that the SelTrac CBTC/R - UTO system is in use on the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort Line.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom