Automated monorail system update

Bacalou

Oh man, seriously!? Going by that I may already be too late :( I'll see what I can do..I wouldn't be against Anaheim but that one I'd have to think about a lot more for a few reasons. But thanks for the reply :)
If you're only wanting to drive monorails, there are many options besides the Disney parks. If anything, we are on a world-wide boom of monorails and their construction.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Was talking with an attendant at the Contemporary two weeks ago. He has always wanted to be a pilot but claims that it is no longer an option. He claims they are not hiring new pilots because of the pilotless system being installed so he is going to Anaheim.

Thanks for sharing that information. It's sad to hear, but with the push to automation, I knew it was just a matter of time. I'd just like to mention here, that I want to acknowledge and thank the pilots who have done a good job on the monorail for many years.

Figment2005

The amount of false information is amazing. Everyone who is hired into monorail learns to pilot. There is just a waiting period between platform training and driver training. The system is going to be semi-automated. The trains will drive themselves between stations but opening and closing doors, as well as traversing switches, will all be done by the pilots. Yes Disney will hire you from out of state. That is how I got my position. It just takes a little more effort on your part. Lastly, the chance of one of our pilots saying, "here, watch the train while I run to the restroom" is highly improbable. Not to mention a terminal offense.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I know this thread goes through active periods and not so while it's kind of active again I have something I'd like to ask: I saw back in November, I think it was here, an actual pic showing the ground dug up next to the monorail lines. I'm looking for that pic and can't find it. Could someone link me to it or point me in the right direction please? My reason for needing that pic is important and with all this discussion going in I want to tell my own personal monorail "story" so to speak.

The reason I'm trying to find that picture is because I'd like to show it to my Mom. She doesn't believe they're really going through with this automation project. Like so many on this forum, one of my major dreams since I was a kid has been to be a monorail pilot at WDW. I thought that maybe as I went into my teens and into my adult years maybe I'd change my mind and decide I didn't want to do that anymore. I just turned 35 at the end of December and I still want to do this more than ever. I have tried twice since turning 18 to actually pursue this dream, and looked into the move to Florida from Chicago. Initially, I wanted to do it right after high school..thought I'd go to UCF for college and try to get in at Disney. I got the UCF info but my parents plus a local principal who was a family friend were strongly steering me towards a commuter college. It's like ok I'll try this school, to make everyone happy. That first winter I was very unhappy with the school I picked and finally got the guts to say I wanted to go to UCF instead. Mom said look into what it will actually cost and we'll talk. I did and it was too expensive to move at that point. Thought maybe after I finish at this school. After graduation I tried again to look at the logistics and it was still too expensive. So, over these last 17 years I have worked..honestly really miserable retail jobs. One of them I did very well at, the other several have been passable I guess. All that time, I knew my heart had already left here long ago, I've never really been happy up here.

Over the years, I have gotten some monorail tshirts, I have mp3s most of the past spiels including the Disneyland and Tokyo Disney ones, the actual pilot wings they give to actual pilots, and I have two editions of the training manuals. I have studied them front to back, and have paid very close attention to how the job is done over the years. I have begun to memorize hold points as well.

This past October, when I was down there, I got a very early, unexpected test of what I really know and after that night, I'm more dead set on this job than ever. One night during my stay, the monorail I was on stopped at the Contemp, and one of the guys working the station came to the car I was in wanting people to move so they could put wheelchairs in. He was VERY unhappy with his job, and everyone just sat there refusing to move so I did. I asked him where he wanted me to go and he said car 3 and I nodded and held up 3 fingers, he nodded back. I get up towards the front and what I'm going to say next I kid you not and I can't make this up. The pilot of this monorail was also very unhappy with his job. He was literally losing it on the spot so he waves me over and he's like I gotta step away from this for 5 minutes, I can't take this job anymore..I'm thinking well here's a major chance to prove myself so I told him you go downstairs for a few and I'll help with the load up. He says daaaamn, how much do you know about the job? I told him enough to where I can do it right now. This guy was shaking and said ok you're on, help the other guy out. So, over the next 5 minutes I helped load the huge amount of people waiting in..having to quickly decide where people needed to go and of course the damn wheelchairs. Some guests said to the other worker really? He's not even an employee! The guy told them do what he tells you, he's doing the job the way we should be. The pilot gets back, and I gave him a thumbs up..he walks over to me, and so does the other worker and they were speechless. They both said they were beyond impressed and to please take the job off their hands! They said I belonged there and not them. Their manager is next to us at this point and said he did outstanding, I saw the whole thing. You both are in huge trouble. Maybe I should be paying him instead, he looks like he wants to be here! She told me think about going to casting tomorrow and applying! I said if Disney pays to move me from Chicago, I'll make the move. This was surreal. I proved myself under pressure and that night showed me thats where I need to be. I felt like I'd made more of a difference that night than I have in the last 17 years.

I am very heavily leaning toward applying to Disney and UCF finally, and if I get in I'm done with Chicago. I want to take my shirts, my pin, and my training manuals to this interview and show them I belong there more than anyone they could choose. I'm going to tell them what happened that October night, so they can see why they need me. I want them to see I'm heart set on this. I'm willing to stay through to the end of this project and past that if needed. If I'm going to do this it needs to be this year, because my time is running out thanks to this project. I need that pic to show my family why doing it now is so important so anyone that can get me that pic will have my thanks!

Better proof then the picture, this permit:

Monorail Beamway and all Stations and TTC West Gate - Electrical Modifications

and the contractors web site:

https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/homepage/worldwide/transportation

msteel

I looked at the permit and found it interesting that it said "Monorail Beamway and all Stations and TTC West Gate"

There must be equipment going into the buildings marked "TTC Buildings and Tunnel" right? Do these buildings already have some monorail control function or is this a new thing?

dstrawn9889

maybe there are control boxes/relays housed in the building, or where they plan to tie into Disney's nodes?

edit::: possibly building a new 'central' tower on/in the building

bh7812

The amount of false information is amazing. Everyone who is hired into monorail learns to pilot. There is just a waiting period between platform training and driver training. The system is going to be semi-automated. The trains will drive themselves between stations but opening and closing doors, as well as traversing switches, will all be done by the pilots. Yes Disney will hire you from out of state. That is how I got my position. It just takes a little more effort on your part. Lastly, the chance of one of our pilots saying, "here, watch the train while I run to the restroom" is highly improbable. Not to mention a terminal offense.

Thank you very much for at least clarifying what is going on right now as far as what happens when you get hired into monorails goes and what will happen once the automation is complete. Hearing it from someone who has actually done the job is giving me more hope than I had a few days ago. :) regardless of what happens when I apply-soon if I've got anything to say about it-whether or not I'm hired I plan to give that extra effort you said it takes to get in. 1000 percent effort if need be. I'm willing to go the extra mile to make this happen. I'll pay out of pocket just to go down for a personal interview if that's what they choose. I'll pay out of my own funds to move, yes it's expensive but let's say I'm hired I'll have to make the necessary sacrifices to make my dream reality. I've waited my whole adult life so far for this and understand I will get ONE chance to impress Casting and show why I deserve a chance. So, I will make the most of my one interview if I get it and nail it. I gotta at least try. In trying, I have way more of a shot than I would doing absolutely nothing. Doing nothing I have zero chance.

People like you and I who put in the extra effort are the ones that get rewarded ;) if you're still doing the job and I'm lucky enough to make the cut maybe I'll run into you sometime :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member

That was encouraging to read. I'm glad that you were able to share these facts, based upon your own experience. It's good to hear from an actual CM pilot, and your input is definitely appreciated. Best wishes, and continued success to you and your fellow pilots.

MOXOMUMD

Sometimes the best information comes from somebody who actually has experience with the situation. :)Thanks!

Bacalou

Photos of the Thales system controls at MK station...

2sao0sh.jpg

2hgz136.jpg

The installer's brick cuts are amazing and damn good work. Also installed are the location & proximity sensors on the station but I didn't get photos of those. I also talked to three monorail CMs and they were rather sad about the coming changes. One plans to switch to the ferry, another is putting in for Tokyo DisneySea to hopefully pilot their electric trains and the last is just going to wait and see.

Last edited:

JungleTrekFan

Maybe the stands have? The brick cut looked pretty new though.
Yeah the stands have definitely been there for a long time, they use to open and close the gates, but are not used anymore, I’m not sure if they are related. Also there were sensors at the stations already to tell the pilot when they were in position to stop. Im not sure if the ones you saw where new or not.

Bacalou

Yeah the stands have definitely been there for a long time, they use to open and close the gates, but are not used anymore, I’m not sure if they are related. Also there were sensors at the stations already to tell the pilot when they were in position to stop. Im not sure if the ones you saw where new or not.
Damn, thought I got something neat. LoL! I guess I hadn't noticed the stands before in my excitement to arrive and my eventual tired departure.

Figment2005

Those stands are on both sides of the beamway. The unload gates are automatic but the load side is still opened manually to control guest flow. Changes are coming to the platforms, but I don't have any details yet. During today's shutdown they were testing different ideas at the Magic Kingdom.

peachykeen

Regardless of what happens with the automation, I will always take extreme pride in being able to say I was able to pilot all 14 different colors of Walt Disney World MkVI Monorails (and from all 24 cabs.)

Despite the internal "drama" that led me to eventually leave the department, I will always miss the feeling of closing the cab door behind me and knowing I was in control of such an iconic machine, and that only a maximum of 11 other people in the world were doing what I was doing at that moment.

Driving the monorail was, for me, a dream-come-true job and something I am glad I will be able to tell people for the rest of my life.

Good luck to my fellow railies with the upcoming changes!

One rail...

PeterAlt

Not to mention that one moody pylon in the MK loop that requires the pilot to slow down and adjust the speed, according to how much out of place it is that day. They should just have that pylon replaced....

dstrawn9889

Regardless of what happens with the automation, I will always take extreme pride in being able to say I was able to pilot all 14 different colors of Walt Disney World MkVI Monorails (and from all 24 cabs.)

Despite the internal "drama" that led me to eventually leave the department, I will always miss the feeling of closing the cab door behind me and knowing I was in control of such an iconic machine, and that only a maximum of 11 other people in the world were doing what I was doing at that moment.

Driving the monorail was, for me, a dream-come-true job and something I am glad I will be able to tell people for the rest of my life.

Good luck to my fellow railies with the upcoming changes!

One rail...
wouldn't that be 26 cabs, since #1 from pink and #5(or 6) from purple were re-used?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom