Attempted Rape at Pop Century

hpyhnt 1000

Man, this has been a bad month for WDW. SSE getting heat, a practical riot at the All Stars, an unfortunate death at AK, and now this at Pop Century. Let's hope 2008 starts off a lighter, happier note.

EDIT: So inhuman of me. Sympathies to the victim of this case.

dixiegirl

Last Sept 06 I remember walking the pathway to the dining hall by myself at nite at POR (as some of you know aren't exactly well lit ) and thinking to myself(naively) how peacefull it felt , that I would never do something like that back at home ......But I quess in this day and age its sad to say how paranoid we need to be in a sence..How to be so aware of our surroundings....Even at Disney World , where I know many of us go to escape reality...for a little bit any way....

TTATraveler

Last Sept 06 I remember walking the pathway to the dining hall by myself at nite at POR (as some of you know aren't exactly well lit ) and thinking to myself(naively) how peacefull it felt , that I would never do something like that back at home ...How safe I felt....But I quess in this day and age its sad to say how paranoid we need to be in a sence..How to be so aware of our surroundings....Even at Disney World , where I know many of us go to escape reality...for a little bit any way....

The very nature of Disney property being open and easily accessible does not make it immune from every day reality. It is rather easy to get past security at any of the resorts even if you are not staying there. Then there are the buses that anyone can freely ride and get off anywhere on property. I don't think we need to be paranoid, but rather smart and conscious of what is going on around us. That said, I am glad to hear that the woman got away and hopefully she is alright.

DisneyGigi

Last Sept 06 I remember walking the pathway to the dining hall by myself at nite at POR (as some of you know aren't exactly well lit ) and thinking to myself(naively) how peacefull it felt , that I would never do something like that back at home ...How safe I felt....But I quess in this day and age its sad to say how paranoid we need to be in a sence..How to be so aware of our surroundings....Even at Disney World , where I know many of us go to escape reality...for a little bit any way....

The path from All Star Sports from the parking lot isn't well lit either, I noticed it (as I do anywhere the lighting isn't that great) when I was walking alone and walked more briskly. I don't like walking anywhere by myself at night. Even at Disney, bad people visit too, I guess.

Champion

Something is wrong with this story.

2 + 2 doesn't make 4 in this case.

If he was trying to rape her, why was he trying to get the room key?
If he was trying to get into her room, he couldn't know that just by getting the key, since the room number isn't on it.

It also says that he IMMEDIATELY reached for the key.

Sounds like he was trying to rob her, not rape her, by the description.

I have the same feeling about this report as the 'kidnapping' from DTD that was fake.

mickey&me

How horrible for her!

Maybe this will prompt Disney to re-evaluate the lighting and security in all of their resorts--more for safety, less for mood.

Kman101

Wow, how horrible for her. That's terrible. Glad she's o.k.

I'll be at Pop Century tomorrow and Thursday.

I'm a guy but even I tend to get a little nervous staying on-site. You just never know anymore, and that's such a shame.

I really do think Disney can up the security more at each resort, especially late-night when folks have longer walks from the bus stops.

philsfan2185

This is the exact reason why my girlfriend didn't leave my side when we were in WDW in August. Especially once it got dark. I don't trust anyone these days, and that's pretty sad to be that way, but you have to in you want to be safe.

Just because you go on vacation doesn't mean that sad things like this won't occur. We live in the 21st century, anything can happen.

echoscot

This is the exact reason why my girlfriend didn't leave my side when we were in WDW in August. Especially once it got dark. I don't trust anyone these days, and that's pretty sad to be that way, but you have to in you want to be safe.

Just because you go on vacation doesn't mean that sad things like this won't occur. We live in the 21st century, anything can happen.

That is very smart...
(this message is meant with sincerity and honesty, please don't attack me, apparently I am having a rough night on these boards)

PeoplemoverTTA

Wow, that's frightening. I stayed at POP by myself last January (I'm a 27-year old female). I requested a building very close to the main building and a second floor room as precautionary measures.

I didn't use a rental car, just WDW transportation...I've also been to Orlando, and WDW, by myself several times since (not at POP).

This is scary, and I definitely don't feel like I am too paranoid anymore (I always have my keys out when alone and I am constantly in contact with friends and family with my whereabouts when walking alone at night). You always have to be careful.

That poor woman...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Not wishing to be insensitive, but reading the article, other than the headline saying it was an attempted rape, the description of the attack sounds more like an attempted robbery or possibly assault, but there's nothing to indicate rape beyond it being a male pushing a female into bushes and trying to steal her room key... What man would attempt to rape a women in broad daylight in a presumably crowded resort area?

:confused:

echoscot

Not wishing to be insensitive, but reading the article, other than the headline saying it was an attempted rape, the description of the attack sounds more like an attempted robbery or possibly assault, but there's nothing to indicate rape beyond it being a male pushing a female into bushes and trying to steal her room key... What man would attempt to rape a women in broad daylight in a presumably crowded resort area?

Uhmmm a stupid one? just a guess. but yes the story is misleading a bit....please don't flame me again oh great defenders of the media.

tigsmom

My thoughts as well. He tried to steal her key card...unless they are leaving out a very large chunk of the story.
Its sad to say that more incidents of this type should be expected as many people are finding themselves with their backs to the wall and huge debts to pay.

Disney will have to rethink their security system at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom