Attempted Rape at Pop Century

kimmychad

You can do it yourself as well (depending on the version of the A/C in the room for some versions it's different than others). There are instructions on how to do it on most Disney boards.

oh ok thats cool, it was really frustrating at first, couldnt figure out how to cool the room off enough to be comfortable. at first i thought it was broke, then i realized it was just disney being cheap

CAPTAIN HOOK

Attempted Robbery - yes. Where on earth did they dream up the Rape bit - at the very best you're looking towards an indecent assault

echoscot

Attempted Robbery - yes. Where on earth did they dream up the Rape bit - at the very best you're looking towards an indecent assault

If you read the whole thread, there is more info about the Sheriff's report listing it as "groping" that has resulted in the other type of crime investigation. The newspaper exxagerated "groping" to "rape" because it sells more papers.

TheKeeler7

I have no experience staying anywhere but FW. However with all I have read about the resorts being dimmly lit. I can't help but wonder the fact that Disney is now totally Non-Smoking in the rooms. From my observations most designated smoking areas are put in off to the side , out of the way locations. So now you have people who if they smoke, forced to go to these places, possibly alone at night. I'm not critizing Disney's policy, to be honest I don't smoke nor am I bothered by smoking so I really don't care either way. Just some food for thought.

Ive looked for this story on line at other news sorces, and the Sentinel seems to be the only one reporting this story on line. Has it bee in the news on TV? Or is there some scepticism locally about stories like this based on past false reports by people looking to sue Disney?

CAPTAIN HOOK

If you read the whole thread, there is more info about the Sheriff's report listing it as "groping" that has resulted in the other type of crime investigation. The newspaper exxagerated "groping" to "rape" because it sells more papers.

I did thank you - which is what I said - "at the very best you're looking towards an indecent assault"

PigletIsMyCat

First of all, while I understand law enforcement withholding information for the sake of an investigation, the use of the word 'rape' in the title is inappropriate and I agree with other posters who feel it was used to 'sell papers'. It's sensationalism, plain and simple. If the Sentinel will not print anything to support why it is an attempted rape, they should have called it an assault.

I feel that Disney Security & OCSD should have looked at fellow guests: you cannot drive into a resort without showing forms of ID, and you can't just walk past Security without question. While he could have walked onto Pop property, bypassing security, I feel that a single person lurking around may have attracted some attention and provoked question. At that time of night, there are many people around at Pop, both CM and guest, between dinner and shift changes.

While I will not argue the vailidity of the claim, I will state that the OCSD is right to not release all information, and for us to debate it to the point of words being exchanged and feelings hurt is a bit much.

Finally, we should all remember that vacation or not, Disney is located in an area that has seen a 300% increase in murder in the last year and a half. Common sense should NEVER go on vacation. Tourists are always considered easy targets, whether it be for pickpockets in New York or in Disneyworld. If you would not go walking alone in Manhattan at 6pm at night, don't do it in Disneyworld.

PeoplemoverTTA

First of all, while I understand law enforcement withholding information for the sake of an investigation, the use of the word 'rape' in the title is inappropriate and I agree with other posters who feel it was used to 'sell papers'. It's sensationalism, plain and simple. If the Sentinel will not print anything to support why it is an attempted rape, they should have called it an assault.

I feel that Disney Security & OCSD should have looked at fellow guests: you cannot drive into a resort without showing forms of ID, and you can't just walk past Security without question. While he could have walked onto Pop property, bypassing security, I feel that a single person lurking around may have attracted some attention and provoked question. At that time of night, there are many people around at Pop, both CM and guest, between dinner and shift changes.

While I will not argue the vailidity of the claim, I will state that the OCSD is right to not release all information, and for us to debate it to the point of words being exchanged and feelings hurt is a bit much.

Finally, we should all remember that vacation or not, Disney is located in an area that has seen a 300% increase in murder in the last year and a half. Common sense should NEVER go on vacation. Tourists are always considered easy targets, whether it be for pickpockets in New York or in Disneyworld. If you would not go walking alone in Manhattan at 6pm at night, don't do it in Disneyworld.

Very well put, Piglet! I agree with you wholeheartedly :sohappy:

JimboJones123

How else do they pay the 300 person staff? It sure isn't by Copy and Paste of the AP stories...

echoscot

If only it were that easy to sell a newspaper....

But that brings us into the world of 'media responsibility' or lack thereof, and that's a totally different thread.

Just so you know, I am with you on that.

I understand the business side is important, but so is responsible reporting and journalistic ethics.

It is tough finding a balance, and I like playing arm chair critic to the media.:animwink:

More Information

The police report , published on the local FOX affiliate web page. states the incident was classified as an "attempted sexual battery" It says the incident took place on 12/14/07 at 17:50 hrs. Its also says the area is a path next to Building #5, and states there bushes on one side, and a wall on the other. The officer reporting it also states it was in a "WELL LIGHTED AREA" Thers a lot blacked out on it, most likely personal information.
http://media.myfoxorlando.com/documents/121807_Disney_battery_report.pdf

PhotoDave219

The police report , published on the local FOX affiliate web page. states the incident was classified as an "attempted sexual battery" It says the incident took place on 12/14/07 at 17:50 hrs. Its also says the area is a path next to Building #5, and states there bushes on one side, and a wall on the other. The officer reporting it also states it was in a "WELL LIGHTED AREA" Thers a lot blacked out on it, most likely personal information.
http://media.myfoxorlando.com/documents/121807_Disney_battery_report.pdf

Yes, that is witness and personal information as well as other information that is withheld in those types of cases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom