Are you "Disney" because you're afraid of thrill rides?

Mickey_777

Original Poster
Hello,

I'm starting to notice a trend of people saying "I don't go to such and such/non-Disney park because I don't like roller coasters". I've even seen, what is to me, an alarming amount of people who don't even ride Rock'n Roller Coaster or ToT or Space Mountain or Mission Space orange etc. So are people naturally inclined to be more "Disney" because there is more to ride/enjoy at WDW other than thrill rides? I definitely thing people are less likely to like Disney if they ARE roller coaster/thrill ride fans. I enjoy both the huge coasters as much as I do a dark ride. I like ToT just as much for the theming as i do the drops. What's your take? Are Disney park fans wimps in their majority? Are we Disney fans JUST because of how immersive the parks are?

joannecasey

I love both thrill rides and non ... however I am a Disney fan at heart simply because of the pure "magic" of it .... :) I don't get the same feeling anywhere else as I do when I'm within WDW limits, even the billboards on the highway make me tingle !!

WDWmazprty

Thats one thing I hate! a lot of people think that Disney is for little kids, or not fun because they think there are no thrill rides; or because every ride doesnt spin fast, or flip, etc.

I'm Disney because I like Disney! :brick::brick:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I think you're way off the mark. My son and I both like thrill rides and we both love Disney parks. Everything that bothered us about Universal had nothing to do with their rides and everything to do with the uninspired theming in between rides (with the notable exception of WWOHP). Loved Hulk, Spiderman, Mummy, Rip-Ride-Rockit, et al. We simply like Disney more.

SAV

Nope...not afraid of thrill rides in the least. I am a coaster nut. I am looking forward to the first ride on Top Thrill Dragster.

I can't explain it but Disney is just...Disney. Total immersion and happiness. The rides are fun and a big part of it, but there is so much else to it and to see. I don't go there for thrills. I can get that 30 minutes from home at Six Flags.

Mukta

Not me. I visited Six Flags a lot when I was younger, but I still preferred Disney parks.
I just really prefer rides with theming. The engineering that goes into a thrill ride or the thrill itself isn't as interesting to me.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
I think you're way off the mark. My son and I both like thrill rides and we both love Disney parks. Everything that bothered us about Universal had nothing to do with their rides and everything to do with the uninspired theming in between rides (with the notable exception of WWOHP). Loved Hulk, Spiderman, Mummy, Rip-Ride-Rockit, et al. We simply like Disney more.

I don't want to categorieze Disney fans as wimpy I'm just saying I've noticed a pattern on other threads where many have stated they don't like thrill rides...not even Disney thrill rides.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am a Disney person because I do not care for unthemed attractions, thrill or otherwise, but I do understand where you are coming from. There is typically much more for a person that does not like thrill rides do do in Disney park so Disney kind of wins by default.

Future Guy

Oh, I'm a huge coward when it comes to thrill rides. My coaster phobia is matched only by my fear of large spiders. But judging by the consistently long waits for rides ToT, RnRC, and Space Mountain I know I'm in the minority.

cbettua

Are you kidding, I love the thrill rides. Splash mountain is one of my favs as I love the large drop. Unfortunately my next trip (Nov) I won't be able to ride the thrill rides because I am preggers.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
I am a Disney person because I do not care for unthemed attractions, thrill or otherwise, but I do understand where you are coming from. There is typically much more for a person that does not like thrill rides do do in Disney park so Disney kind of wins by default.

Awesome, I was afraid people didn't understand the topic...

Mikester71

Thats one thing I hate! a lot of people think that Disney is for little kids, or not fun because they think there are no thrill rides; or because every ride doesnt spin fast, or flip, etc.

I'm Disney because I like Disney! :brick::brick:

Agree wholeheartedly!!! :sohappy:

Mikester71

I am not particularly a big fan of roller coasters, but will ride some (all of the ones in WDW). I have pretty much rode everything WDW has to offer and the only ride I don't ride each trip is TOT. I rode it our first trip and just haven't been able to get myself worked up to ride it since.

Personally, I would rather go to WDW than say to Cedar Point, in Ohio (3 hours away from me here). I have been to Cedar Point a few times over the years and it is, without a doubt, one of THE best amusement parks around. But if you are not a huge fan of roller coasters, it just doesn't do it for me like it would a true coaster enthusiast, like my wife. That is why I LOVE WDW...there is something for EVERYONE!!! Even if you don't like rides, there is still a lot to do and see. :sohappy:

DisneyPrincess5

I love both thrill rides and non ... however I am a Disney fan at heart simply because of the pure "magic" of it .... :) I don't get the same feeling anywhere else as I do when I'm within WDW limits, even the billboards on the highway make me tingle !!

I feel the same exactly way! Well said.

balletgirl2

If I want to go on thrill rides I go to Cedar Point. The coasters at Universal and too tame for me. Disney is not about coasters and thrill rides, it is about a total experience of simple pleasures that bring out your inner child. I grew up near Cedar Point and have been going there since I was born. However I do not get that "Ahhhhh" moment when walking through their front gates like I do when I enter WDW. That is what keeps bringing me to WDW over and over again.

Lucky

Disney has thrill rides, and Universal has some areas with incredible theming (Potterville, Seuss Landing).

But in general people who care more about thrill rides will appreciate Universal more, and people who care about theming and the "magic" will appreciate DisneyWorld more. Universal simply doesn't have the acreage to create the perception that you're visiting a different world.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
But the question is...

Are people afraid of thrill rides MORE INCLINED to like a Disney park because there is more for them to do?

MichRX7

Premium Member
To me these are two different classifications. There are amusement parks and there are theme parks.

My family just spent two days at Cedar Point which is the greatest amusement park I know for thrill rides (and yes at my age I still ride them all). We ride roller coasters and spin and puke rides until we almost rolf up our corn dogs. But, I could easily spend 1 day there and be done with it. It is a getaway, and not a vacation.

We go to WDW as an immersive theme park which includes rides for everyone to enjoy where most of the rides have character and a back-story. We always spend at least one week and it is a full featured family vacation (not just limited to the theme or water parks).

And one thing for sure is I know I always get my money's worth and everyone is satisfied (and maybe a bit sad) when we leave any Disney property.

jrlang1

I love thrill rides but i can i see why disney does not have large roller coasters. Unless you have a theme like paridise pier or the dino midway it is very hard to theme and hide a large coaster and standard supports are just not good enough. They did very good with RnRc and everest. I would also classify mission space a high thrill. I think disney could use a very well thimed inverted coaster like the following

LIKE http://rcdb.com/3117.htm?p=16659

I do not see this happening becuase inverted coastes are loud but one can dream

My all time fav non disney ride is Super Man in new england http://rcdb.com/628.htm?p=1060

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom