Are you "Disney" because you're afraid of thrill rides?

DisneyCanadian

I love thrill rides, but there is something about Disney that is way better.

It's as if they pump something in the air to give you this special feeling and wanting more.

Susan Savia

I do not do the coasters. My husband sometimes does. I am just as happy to roam around, see the shows, watch the people, ride Test Track a dozen times, Spaceship Earth a few times and be thankful I am there. I enjoy watching others riding the thrill rides. There's more to just thrill rides to carry us thru the day.

kapeman

Nope...not afraid of thrill rides in the least. I am a coaster nut. I am looking forward to the first ride on Top Thrill Dragster.

I am with you there! That ride is a BLAST!!!

But I still love Disney.

Would I like something a little more intense than RnR? Sure, but I am not going to complain about the lack of a real thrill ride.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Because I am currently enjoying Universal more than Disney does that make me a non Disney person? Im sure some will say yes.

But I like both places equally, they offer variety and a different focus. Having had the kids grow up and Disney limiting what little it has in new offerings it is perhaps timing more than anything that makes me feel less enamoured with WDW than I did three years ago. I don't think you can just isolate the thrill factor or the presentation, they have to compliment. Great themeing doesnt hide a poor ride or attraction.

Some people are Disney because they have been conditioned by years of marketing and family experience. Its safe a bit like choosing Coke over the far superior Pepsi.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Because I am currently enjoying Universal more than Disney does that make me a non Disney person? Im sure some will say yes.

But I like both places equally, they offer variety and a different focus. Having had the kids grow up and Disney limiting what little it has in new offerings it is perhaps timing more than anything that makes me feel less enamoured with WDW than I did three years ago. I don't think you can just isolate the thrill factor or the presentation, they have to compliment. Great themeing doesnt hide a poor ride or attraction.

Some people are Disney because they have been conditioned by years of marketing and family experience. Its safe a bit like choosing Coke over the far superior Pepsi.

I agree; I've enjoyed Six Flags, Kings Dominion and other parks throughout my years as well. Right now Disney fits the bill for my family because it is an all-encompassing set of parks for my spouse and I, along with two kids under the age of 11. Now, in a few years will we become less of Disney fans because perhaps, just perhaps they want to try out Universal? As Pumbas noted, I'm sure some wiould say yes. But we shouldn't be considered any less of fans for that than the fact we probably won't return to WDW for a couple of years because we've decided to focus our vacation dollars on other areas of the nation.

And in full disclosure, I'm a Pepsi man as well, even though I literally live in the (corporate) home of Coca-Cola. A pilgrim amongst the heathens, if you will. :rolleyes: :)

Pumbas Nakasak

And in full disclosure, I'm a Pepsi man as well, even though I literally live in the (corporate) home of Coca-Cola. A pilgrim amongst the heathens, if you will. :rolleyes: :)

I have to be a Pepsi loyalist, as sat next to me at this very moment and soon to be heading to Florida with me is a gentleman who plays with the "recipe"
on a daily basis.

Though both products cannot compete with Irn Bru, which on reflection should be sold in the UK pavilion.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I have to be a Pepsi loyalist, as sat next to me at this very moment and soon to be heading to Florida with me is a gentleman who plays with the "recipe"
on a daily basis.

Though both products cannot compete with Irn Bru, which on reflection should be sold in the UK pavilion.

You have a particular flavor of Irn Bru you're partial to?

imagineer boy

Just out of curiosity, what's your main problems with bigger drops? I'm pretty acrophobic, but when it comes to being stapped into a vehicle, I've never had any problems with heights.

I just hate the sensation of falling. To me its an extremely uncomfortable feeling. The way your blood sort of starts tickling backwards through your veins.

Pumbas Nakasak

You have a particular flavor of Irn Bru you're partial to?

Irn Bru is only real iff made by Barrs.

horn-advert-500x249.jpg

stargrl33

I love love love thrill rides. The faster, higher, and scarier, the BETTER. I don't go to Disney to get my thrill ride fix, neccessarily. I would go to Universal for that. (please don't hurt me)

I go to Disney because it's a park that I know I will enjoy throughout my life, at any age. Parks like Six Flags is great for thrills, but honestly, the lines are way too long and the other guests are obnoxious. (Not that you don't have that problem at Disney occasionally.)

Mickey_777

Original Poster
I just hate the sensation of falling. To me its an extremely uncomfortable feeling. The way your blood sort of starts tickling backwards through your veins.

But that's the best part LOL...

I'd also like to clarify that I'm a Disney Park fan for the same reasons everyone else is. The smells, the theming, the music, and the sounds set Disney parks apart. It's the reason why, I too, would trade a week at a non-Disney park for just one day at MK or Epcot.

JohnLocke

Ok, but if you haven't tried all the rides yet, I'd still really suggest giving them all a try. To me, on the drop rides you don't really feel like you're falling as much as you feel like you're floating, and there really aren't that many rides with that kind of feeling at WDW. You don't even lift up in your seat a good bit on most rides.

mp2bill

I love both thrill rides and non ... however I am a Disney fan at heart simply because of the pure "magic" of it .... :) I don't get the same feeling anywhere else as I do when I'm within WDW limits, even the billboards on the highway make me tingle !!

Ditto. I know plenty of people who hate thrill rides that'll go to a regular amusement park because there are other things to do, but they, along with I, love Disney above all else because there is so much of everything to do. Plus, like the quoted poster alluded to, the theming of Disney parks is unsurpased.

disney dharling

I'm a thrill ride junky. I love thrill rides, but WDW is my happy place. I just commented on this in another thread actually. Thrill rides are great, but when you're at Six Flags you have to wait 59 mins in a boring, uninteresting line for 1 min of thrill.

Disney simply gives you a better show. I love the coasters, drop rides, spinning rides, you name it. But the Haunted Mansion gives me just as much thrill the third consecutive time as any thrill ride ever has.

The attention to detail at WDW is unmatched. Sometimes I stand in the middle of Mainstreet and think to myself..... there's no place else you can go and feel this way. :)

Anyway, I went off track there. I love WDW, and thrill rides. :D

My sentiments exactly. Ride lines almost everywhere else are boring. You think back on your day and mostly remember standing in line with a few rides mixed in.

imagineer boy

Ok, but if you haven't tried all the rides yet, I'd still really suggest giving them all a try. To me, on the drop rides you don't really feel like you're falling as much as you feel like you're floating, and there really aren't that many rides with that kind of feeling at WDW. You don't even lift up in your seat a good bit on most rides.

The only thrill rides at WDW I haven't tried are RnRC, ToT, and Everest. I tried Splash once and needless to say I found the final drop horrible. :lol:

I have read that on ToT you don't get the falling sensation, but something different. So I am considering trying it on my upcomming visit.

Lucky

The only thrill rides at WDW I haven't tried are RnRC, ToT, and Everest. I tried Splash once and needless to say I found the final drop horrible. :lol:

I have read that on ToT you don't get the falling sensation, but something different. So I am considering trying it on my upcomming visit.
I definitely get a "falling sensation" on ToT. I'm also lifted a few inches out of my seat. Splash is tame compared to ToT, RnRC or Everest.

mrerk

Premium Member

I'm sure this was a typo, but it should be "choosing Pepsi over the far superior Coke":rolleyes:

LoriMistress

I love roller coasters! I'm such a thrill seeker. I'll go on just about anything. My mission in life is to go on every extreme (world breaking) roller coasters before I die.

JohnLocke

While I like Splash, I think it could easily be the worst of those four for you, since it's the only one that you're not strapped down in. Of those, I think RnRC would probably bother you least, you're in the dark and strapped down really tight and never really feel like your falling, it's more the initial take off that gets you on it. In fact, I would say if you can do Space Mountain alright, you shouldn't have any problem on RnRC or Everest. While both have drops, I've never really felt them like I have on SM, and I really don't think there are as many as there are on that one either.

As for ToT, for me, it's more like a floating sensation than a falling sensation. I'd suggest going on it and sitting in the back, for the first time at least. That way you're strapped down and can't see out when you look over the park. As I think I've said before, I do have a bit of vertigo, mostly it seems around some floor level windows and staircases, but I've never really had any problem on anything I'm seated or strapped into.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom