Are you "Disney" because you're afraid of thrill rides?

jrlang1

To me these are two different classifications. There are amusement parks and there are theme parks.

My family just spent two days at Cedar Point which is the greatest amusement park I know for thrill rides (and yes at my age I still ride them all). We ride roller coasters and spin and puke rides until we almost rolf up our corn dogs. But, I could easily spend 1 day there and be done with it. It is a getaway, and not a vacation.

We go to WDW as an immersive theme park which includes rides for everyone to enjoy where most of the rides have character and a back-story. We always spend at least one week and it is a full featured family vacation (not just limited to the theme or water parks).

And one thing for sure is I know I always get my money's worth and everyone is satisfied (and maybe a bit sad) when we leave any Disney property.

I Strongly Agree

Mouse Man

Honestly thrill rides are fun, but when you get on a thrill ride it seems like it is over way to soon. The reason I do not go to many parks that has thrill rides is because for the most part there really is not alot of theming or wonderful music that has catchy tunes, lots of shops well done with lots of color, the smells are lacking. There is only one theme park that the DWF and I like to go to that has thrill rides and some mellow ride but has themes, color and smell is Hershey Park. We love this park and it does have a lot to offer. Hershey does not even come close to WDW. Dorney is okay and Six Flags Great Adventure is all about thrill rides and how fast can we take your money. Six Flags is not really themed and the whole experience is more about the rides then any thing else. Nothing yet in my eyes has come close to ToT or Space Mountain or the Rock and Roll Rollercoaster or splash Mountain. These are thrill rides that are themed and really makes you feel part of the attraction. Not to mention WDW is simply beautiful, family oriented and a class act.

me_stitch

Premium Member
I love thrill rides but I would choose a disney vacation over anything else out there. Not to say I won't sneak over to Sea World to go on Kracken and Manta (can't wait to ride Manta), but there's no other park out there that has that "Disney Magic", I don't know how else to put it. From the time you get off the plane until you get back on to go home, you feel the Disney Magic everywhere.

JohnLocke

Hello,

I'm starting to notice a trend of people saying "I don't go to such and such/non-Disney park because I don't like roller coasters". I've even seen, what is to me, an alarming amount of people who don't even ride Rock'n Roller Coaster or ToT or Space Mountain or Mission Space orange etc. So are people naturally inclined to be more "Disney" because there is more to ride/enjoy at WDW other than thrill rides? I definitely thing people are less likely to like Disney if they ARE roller coaster/thrill ride fans. I enjoy both the huge coasters as much as I do a dark ride. I like ToT just as much for the theming as i do the drops. What's your take? Are Disney park fans wimps in their majority? Are we Disney fans JUST because of how immersive the parks are?

Count me as another who prefers Disney because of the experience/theming to go along with some really great rides and attractions.

That being said, I do agree with you on the number of people who seem like they won't even give most thrill rides a chances, I do have to admit I still need to do Mission Space Orange, however. There's really nothing very bad about any Disney Thrill ride, and I would like to see a few more if they're designed well.

MSU Jafar

I am a Disneyholic, but I also love the thrill parks. I live in Michigan, just about an hour away from Cedar Point. Cedar Point has to be the biggest thrill park there is. I loved to go there to ride the amazing coasters. But, the atmosphere of the park is not enjoyable. You get a different "type" of person at the thrill park, compared to Disney. Cleanliness is so different also, Disney is so much cleaner than Cedar Point.

Mstr Gra-c

Hello,

I'm starting to notice a trend of people saying "I don't go to such and such/non-Disney park because I don't like roller coasters". I've even seen, what is to me, an alarming amount of people who don't even ride Rock'n Roller Coaster or ToT or Space Mountain or Mission Space orange etc. So are people naturally inclined to be more "Disney" because there is more to ride/enjoy at WDW other than thrill rides? I definitely thing people are less likely to like Disney if they ARE roller coaster/thrill ride fans. I enjoy both the huge coasters as much as I do a dark ride. I like ToT just as much for the theming as i do the drops. What's your take? Are Disney park fans wimps in their majority? Are we Disney fans JUST because of how immersive the parks are?

I see it too. And I think that there are some people who are drawn to Disney due to the fact that there are more rides and experiences at Disney that don't fall into the thrill category. However I personally LOVE thrill rides...in fact our trip to Disney this year in October is exactly one week after we take a weekend trip to Cedar Point. I love riding all the thrill rides...the taller and faster the better. I might even hit up a little rip cord or the other new ride they have at Challenge Park...if we have time.
Point is, I enjoy Disney for the attention to detail and completely emmersive experiences. I enjoy amusement parks for the thrills.

imagineer boy

I'm more of a moderate thrills person. As long as it doesn't have a huge drop, I'll be okay with it. Unfortunately, parks like Six Flags have rollercoaster that have nothing but big drops! And hardly any moderate thrills. Disney has the perfect balance.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Just because I said that I hate Mission: Space doesn't mean I don't like thrill rides! I never said I didn't like Test Track, that's one of my favorite thrill rides. Tower of Terror doesn't even have to be competed with Universal's Doctor Doom. On DD it shoots you up, scares the crap out of you then drops back down and it's done. ToT scares and has a nice dark ride theme to it. Rockin' Roller Coaster is good too, as well as DINOSAUR, Expedition Everest, the mountains and everything else! I don't mind thrill rides, if Disney needs to attract guests, they should have at least 2 thrills in each park. I'm a Disney World fan because of the huge magic they put into their dark rides. Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Spaceship Earth and all those are very good! Animatronic Shows like The American Adventure, The Country Bear Jamboree still heart-warming magic. The only thing that usually goes wrong is three simple things that can be fixed: 1) The Lack of updating, Such as the country bear jamboree, they need to take time and update these kind of attractions so it can keep guests coming in, if they don't maintain it properly the animatronics won't look as good and will eventually start to become boring. 2) Replacing, think about the tiki room, alien encounter, and imagination. They were all once great attraction but now they've replaced them with some not-so-good stuff. Whether it's because they're advertising their disney characters, or making it family friendly or whatever. Like Alien, teenagers and adults should have a good time at Disney too! Stitch's Great Escape was a fail because it replaced an excellent thrill, and Stitch's Script kind of lacked. The tiki room under new management replaced a Walt Disney's first animatronic show, and the script is terrible as well not to mention a lack of entertainment in it. 3) would be the abandoned attractions. There aren't too many of these. You've got the Wonders of Life pavilion, Basically half of the Imagination pavilion, and a few rides and attractions that are "seasonal" and forgotten about.

Other than those 3 subjects, WDW is the PERFECT themepark :]

Pepper's Ghost

I'm a thrill ride junky. I love thrill rides, but WDW is my happy place. I just commented on this in another thread actually. Thrill rides are great, but when you're at Six Flags you have to wait 59 mins in a boring, uninteresting line for 1 min of thrill.

Disney simply gives you a better show. I love the coasters, drop rides, spinning rides, you name it. But the Haunted Mansion gives me just as much thrill the third consecutive time as any thrill ride ever has.

The attention to detail at WDW is unmatched. Sometimes I stand in the middle of Mainstreet and think to myself..... there's no place else you can go and feel this way. :)

Anyway, I went off track there. I love WDW, and thrill rides. :D

knnyrobb

I happen to LOVE roller coasters!! But even though I enjoy just about any theme park I go to I would trade them all for Disney. Disney it the only park I can go to and be transformed in a way. All worries seem to fade and your sole purpose for the time you are there is to enjoy the magic and be young at heart ... As soon as I step onto Disney property (Well, drive onto) my whole demeanor changes :) No other park has ever done that for me

SeaBase86

To the OP: I understand where your coming from.

I'm a huge thrill fan and Disney and I love all the parks. I do see a pattern of "I can go to six flags," arguements. But I don't understand that. I go to Disney for the immersive thrill rides that I can't find at Six Flags. Test Track, Space Mountain etc. I never understood that argument. Which makes me wonder also why doesn't Disney also put more intrest in making thrill rides seeming how they do such an amazing job at them.

disneydevil1

Some people hear just dont care about WDW, they would rather have another 10 meet and greet areas built than an awesome Thrill ride. They care more about what excites a 4 year old then the entire family

JohnLocke

I'm more of a moderate thrills person. As long as it doesn't have a huge drop, I'll be okay with it. Unfortunately, parks like Six Flags have rollercoaster that have nothing but big drops! And hardly any moderate thrills. Disney has the perfect balance.

Just out of curiosity, what's your main problems with bigger drops? I'm pretty acrophobic, but when it comes to being stapped into a vehicle, I've never had any problems with heights.

BrerFrog

I love thrill rides, but I also love overwhelming slow-paced attractions with great theming. Disney has a little bit of the former, and a lot of the latter.

Phonedave

As someone else said.

Thrill rides are a one day sort of thing to do.

WDW is a vacation.

I go to plenty of fairs and Amusement Parks, but WDW is different.

I might stay over one night in Hershey PA, but to stay a week is not something I want to do. On the other hand I could go to WDW for weeks on end and always find something to do..

-dave

kcs

My family is a coaster family. We have done it all-Cedar Point, Six Flags, WOF... But our fav is WDW. It truly is the immersion of theme, cleanliness, attentiveness, and new discoveries on each visit that make this more than an amusement park or theme park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom