Are you "Disney" because you're afraid of thrill rides?

BrerFrog

The only thrill rides at WDW I haven't tried are RnRC, ToT, and Everest. I tried Splash once and needless to say I found the final drop horrible. :lol:

I have read that on ToT you don't get the falling sensation, but something different. So I am considering trying it on my upcomming visit.

There is a good way to avoid the falling sensation on SM and EE's big drops, at least I think there is. Just put your feet on the lower back of the seat in front of you and use that support to push against your own seat, you won't feel a thing.

I know it sounds weird, and I hope I explained that clearly, but after being to those rides many times during my CP I ended up discovering that by chance. It worked for me. :shrug:

Does anyone have an explanation? I demand equations! :lol:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There is a good way to avoid the falling sensation on SM and EE's big drops, at least I think there is. Just put your feet on the lower back of the seat in front of you and use that support to push against your own seat, you won't feel a thing.

I know it sounds weird, and I hope I explained that clearly, but after being to those rides many times during my CP I ended up discovering that by chance. It worked for me. :shrug:

By doing that you are forcing yourself against your seat, thereby minimizing any "air time" caused by the negative g's.

5x/2z\sum_{i=1}^{100}i(πz*24x)=Ω\sum_{i=1}^ni = \frac{n^2+n}2

Don't try to work that out...it's a jibberish

rsoxguy

By doing that you are forcing yourself against your seat, thereby minimizing any "air time" caused by the negative g's.

5x/2z\sum_{i=1}^{100}i(πz*24x)=Ω\sum_{i=1}^ni = \frac{n^2+n}2

Don't try to work that out...it's a jibberish

It may be simple gibberish to you, my friend, but you have inadvertently solved my life-long search for the secret to time travel. Genius, shear genius!

jeffk410

Hello,

I'm starting to notice a trend of people saying "I don't go to such and such/non-Disney park because I don't like roller coasters". I've even seen, what is to me, an alarming amount of people who don't even ride Rock'n Roller Coaster or ToT or Space Mountain or Mission Space orange etc. So are people naturally inclined to be more "Disney" because there is more to ride/enjoy at WDW other than thrill rides? I definitely thing people are less likely to like Disney if they ARE roller coaster/thrill ride fans. I enjoy both the huge coasters as much as I do a dark ride. I like ToT just as much for the theming as i do the drops. What's your take? Are Disney park fans wimps in their majority? Are we Disney fans JUST because of how immersive the parks are?

Was this really even asked? :brick:....... I love all thrill rides, but honestly cmon now. ahah.

EvilQueen-T

we've been to a lot of different places for vacations over the years but really only do disney now (as far as theme park type of vacations go). the other places we've been just can't seem to measure up to what i think of as the disney experience. the parks, resorts etc... are kept much cleaner than other parks, the cm's (with the very rare exception) are on top of their game and just seem to hold themselves to a higher standard. i love being totally immersed in our vacation from the resort to what we do and where we eat. i lived in orlando for a lot of years but disney for us is a place totally separate and still feels special no matter how many times we go.

Dj Corona

An interesting question from the OP, as for my answer, I agree with EvilQueen-T's post above, my family and I go for the overall experience, from our resort to all of the parks.....Yes, I was was born and raised a "Disney Kid", but I've also done well more then my share of thrill rides, and I'm totally OK with what Disney has to offer in that area. I live right around the corner from a Six Flags and about an hour and some from King's Dominion, and haven't been to either in years, (probably because A) It's never a guarantee what rides are actually open, and B) It's never a good sign when you have to go through a metal detector and a frisking to get into an amusement park, just saying!

Mikester71

I don't have equations, an explanation, or even a clue sometimes :lookaroun, but I kind of discovered the same thing as you on our last trip. The first time I rode EE, our second trip back in March of 2007, I leaned forward during the backwards part and felt really dizzy for quite some time after getting off the ride. It bugged me so much that I was worried about riding it again last March when we went back down. For some reason, this time I just sat straight up with my head pushed right up against the back of my seat and I felt completely fine afterwards. No headache or dizziness or anything. So when we rode RnRC a few days later, I tried the same thing during the blast off at the beginning and low and behold, it didn't bother me like it did the first time I rode it either!

So now I will happily ride 99% of WDW's rides with no trepidation! :sohappy:And for the record...the 1% I left off was for ToT, which I haven't been able to build up the courage to ride again after riding it back in 2005 during our first trip. :eek: Oh well! :shrug:

wvdisneyfamily

Negative. I don't think there's much more of a thrill ride than Mission:Space (orange). Anywho, I disagree that Disney fans are not thrill ride people. Look at all of the rides at Disney that offer a thrill (level varying). Mission:Space, Test Track, Tower of Terror, Aerosmith, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, etc... Thrill ride is a ride that provides an exhilirating experience, not something that makes you puke your guts out.

LowesChevy

I am not afraid of thrill rides, but as I get older my body simply cannot take some of the abuse. Some of the rollercoasters I have been on like at Cedar Point are pretty wicked on my back and neck. I do enjoy visiting Universal every few years, but more for the change in atmosphere and other rides. I do not think I will ever return to Cedar Point, just not a huge draw for me anymore.

I think Disney does an awesome job of appealing to the masses with their attractions. There is something for everyone. Although I agree, they could add a few more big thrill rides to be more competitive with Universal.

Edeyore

I think the answer to that question is YES! I have gone to a number of parks including Six Flags and find that plain steel coasters do not appeal to me. I do however love Rock n' Roll Rollercoaster (high speed and inversions) and Mission: Space, the original version. I like the story and being immersed in an experience.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
The only thrill rides at WDW I haven't tried are RnRC, ToT, and Everest. I tried Splash once and needless to say I found the final drop horrible. :lol:

I have read that on ToT you don't get the falling sensation, but something different. So I am considering trying it on my upcomming visit.

It's not a falling sensation....it's more of a straight-up being dropped from the sky sensation...:p

SirMickey

I think in general disney fans are disney fans because they want more out of their "rides" then 2 minutes of sheer terror...that certainly doesn't mean disney fans don't enjoy quality thrill rides, it just means that as a disney fan I would rather experience the joys or peter pans flight or the chills of the haunted mansion before riding some massive steel roller coaster. I love thrill rides, but disney rides are in a whole different league

DisneyGirl11

I feel there is so much more at a Disney park than at any other park. The Disney "feeling" is like no other. I love thrill rides and like someone else said, I would trade any thrill ride to go to WDW!!!! I feel that just because there are not many thrill rides at Disney, people would rather not go. They think it's childish. Well, if that's how they feel, then good! They won't be crowding the lines the next time I am there!!!!!!! :)

Walt Disney1955

I am not particularly a big fan of roller coasters, but will ride some (all of the ones in WDW). I have pretty much rode everything WDW has to offer and the only ride I don't ride each trip is TOT. I rode it our first trip and just haven't been able to get myself worked up to ride it since.

Personally, I would rather go to WDW than say to Cedar Point, in Ohio (3 hours away from me here). I have been to Cedar Point a few times over the years and it is, without a doubt, one of THE best amusement parks around. But if you are not a huge fan of roller coasters, it just doesn't do it for me like it would a true coaster enthusiast, like my wife. That is why I LOVE WDW...there is something for EVERYONE!!! Even if you don't like rides, there is still a lot to do and see. :sohappy:

I agree. I myself have been to Cedar Point twice and I loved it very much. I'll ride the insane rollercoasters too (except for Millennium, for all you big guys be careful, there is a "tester" at the front of the ride to see if you can fit and I don't)

The thing with Cedar Point is that there isn't the substance there. Disney has style AND substance. Cedar Point doesn't have a magic aura about it. You never forget that you are at a theme park when you are there. When you are at Disney you are totally immersed in the land you are in. Cedar Point does a fairly good job though at the theming for the "Frontiertown" area. It's nice to walk through and in a way it has similarities to Frontierland but it still makes you miss the Magic Kingdom. Outside of any park in Florida Cedar Point is the best I have ever been to (relax, I have never been to California). The problem is if you don't like rollercoasters you should not go. You'll be sorry.

Not so with Disney. You can go to Epcot if you think DHS is a little too "sugary" for you. You can go to AK. You can also immerse yourself in the experience of MK which is incomparable IMO. So no, I love the thrill rides and I love the thrill rides Disney has too but the theming and the overall well rounded experience are peerless. How many other parks close out their night with Spectromagic and Wishes?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom