Are you 23?

MousDad

Hey D23 members! In lieu of the anti-23 clubs on Facebook I just created a D23 Facebook page for the members:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=71109318560

Come on in an join!

There's a huge difference between being "anti-23" and "anti-Disney screwing up."

The whole campaign has been screwed up in perception, delivery and substance.

On the contrary, you could very easily call the D64 folks "pro-23," in that I guarantee you most if not all want the program to succeed.

I think what is being debated is the definition of "succeeding."

EPCOT Explorer

^
If any of you want to put this much work into fighting 64, just remember that I was the one who started this and you'll be vastly comforted with the knowledge that I'M the evil elitist fanboy separatist behind this scheme...

Sleep well good friends.
:lol: :wave:
:lol:

This is true.

So, basically, a FB page was opened to promote anti-D23 sentiment to a larger group of people in the hopes of pushing the DOWN WITH D23 agenda??

So, let me see: You can sign up for free and get NOTHING? No merchandise, no magazine, no membership card or a framable member certificate?? Hmm, not worth the price in my opinion. :) Ya know, getting NOTHING for NOTHING... At least for $75 bucks, I'd get SOMETHING....
It's slightly a joke, slightly a statement.

I/We are against the fact that it's a esoteric "skymall" You have to pay to buy stuff, that's it.

Before this became big I stated that If EE's the Vice President, my title is Founder & Commodore 64.

If you don't think that's cool, then of course you'll never get 64.

64's are not about nonsense. 64's are about our love for Disney combined with our fighting spirit that can never be kept down and avoided! We kick space, time, and Logic to the curb and make the impossible possible!

That's how Team D-64 rolls!
Thanks you! Exactly the feelings here.
There's a huge difference between being "anti-23" and "anti-Disney screwing up."

On the contrary, you could very easily call the D64 folks "pro-23," in that I guarantee you most if not all want the program to succeed.
Once again. exactly. I DO want D23 to do well...In fact, I would LOVE to join if it actually offered something.

GothMickey

what I don't understand are those that do not want to join D23 but yet will buy all the issues when they come out. Why not just join the club and save the gas.... I'm just sayin'

Because they only want to give Disney $60.00 instead of $75.00. Yet, when you factor in gas, the magazines will actually cost MORE than $75.00 LOL.

GothMickey

Oh no, I can handle the busting.. but seriously I need to do work on a different computer than this one where I can just keep replying to this thread.... otherwise I keep coming back! (stupid work)

Like I said, it was all fun and games and just some busting, nothing personal meant by it.

GothMickey

Hey D23 members! In lieu of the anti-23 clubs on Facebook I just created a D23 Facebook page for the members:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=71109318560

Come on in an join!

Oy, another fanboy club about a club?

Isn't there already one with a few hundred members? :shrug:

If there, then that new one if totally redundant.

I think part of the problem was everyone, and yes I am included in this, expected something huge to be annouced since this viral campaign was launched. Disney was in a lose/lose situation with fanboys. I think the viral campaign was fine. I think D23 is terrific. Money holds me back at the moment or else I'd join. What I am trying to figure out is, what do you all expect? Disney led a viral campaign, with a website counting down to the annoucement. I find nothing wrong in the execution of this "club." I mean, what else could Disney have done to make you all happy?

jakeman

I think part of the problem was everyone, and yes I am included in this, expected something huge to be annouced since this viral campaign was launched. Disney was in a lose/lose situation with fanboys. I think the viral campaign was fine. I think D23 is terrific. Money holds me back at the moment or else I'd join. What I am trying to figure out is, what do you all expect? Disney led a viral campaign, with a website counting down to the annoucement. I find nothing wrong in the execution of this "club." I mean, what else could Disney have done to make you all happy?
Didn't you see the GIANT list about 10 pages back? That's what they wanted D23 to be. When it turned out to be something other than what they built up in their mind, they were disappointed.

They wanted D23 to fix everything in WDW (not the company, even though that is who the fan club is for). It was an unrealistic expectation.

Matpez

Where? link me!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=67984269873&

I mean, what else could Disney have done to make you all happy?
The argument (discussion) as I see it comes down to...
You feel it was worth $75 because...
You don't feel it is worth $75 because...
There have already been so many posts on both sides in this thread and others to answer your question.
Did you see the Mouse Savers article? http://www.mousesavers.com/d23.html#comments
How about the one by Jackie (male)? http://www.mouseportal.com/articles/2009/03/15/in-their-defense-standing-up-for-d23/

There one against, one for... We all have valid reasoning...

Timmay

Saved, printed, framed and hanging on the wall in my office.

GothMickey

Didn't you see the GIANT list about 10 pages back? That's what they wanted D23 to be. When it turned out to be something other than what they built up in their mind, they were disappointed.

They wanted D23 to fix everything in WDW (not the company, even though that is who the fan club is for). It was an unrealistic expectation.

Honestly, no I didn't see it. I haven't been around in the last few days, so I haven't kept up with this thread.

So, basically, since it isn't what THEY thought it shoudl be, THEY think it is a failure of epic proportions? Like I said, they will all be members in 3-6 months. They will then come on here and brag how awesome D23 is, and how they are special charter members, and how they knew this would be a great success.

GothMickey

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=67984269873&

The argument (discussion) as I see it comes down to...
You feel it was worth $75 because...
You don't feel it is worth $75 because...
There have already been so many posts on both sides in this thread and others to answer your question.
Did you see the Mouse Savers article? http://www.mousesavers.com/d23.html#comments
How about the one by Jackie (male)? http://www.mouseportal.com/articles/2009/03/15/in-their-defense-standing-up-for-d23/

There one against, one for... We all have valid reasoning...

Jim Hill has an article today about it too. And he is for it. But that you for the links. I will read them later on.

I think the argument has been made that it IS worth the $75.00, providing you can afford it. I have a trip in June coming up, so I cannot shell it out right now. Affordability is the key issue, not the worth or the failure of Disney's release of the club.

jakeman

D23 isn't bringing back Vault Disney or making Disney Channel suitable for anyone over age 14

D23 isn't producing more copies of WDT sets

D23 will not finish or raise the quality of various Disney TV show releases on DVD

D23 will not end the practice of DMC exclusive titles or start the proper release or restoration of many poorly done or never released Disney film/TV material (no Child of Glass or Mr. Boogedy for you!)

D23 isn't making the Disney Store the kind of place to be proud of

D23 isn't fixing neglected/stale areas, attractions, shows etc. of Disney Theme Parks, or finishing SSE any faster

D23 isn't putting more park specific merchandise in the parks

D23 isn't releasing Song of the South

D23 isn't making it easier to go on a Disney vacation of any kind

D23 does not replace the annual Disneyanna conventions

D23 does not help you save money on any Disney product whatsoever

The examples above are of things I've seen time and time again complained about on multiple Disney forums. If D23 is menat to "reach out to the fans" how is it achieveing what they want again?

If D23 had just been a product line offered at Disney Store I would be thrilled. It would have made high quality merchandise easily available to fans as it once was year ago. Instead it's a club where you pay to pay more for stuff that may not be everyone's cup of tea. It still won't tell you what the oh so precious sculpture is (unlike a WDCS membeship which has no secrets or products you cen get at your local BaN) or offer you the discounts a MKC or DC membership got you. The price itself is outrageous for anyone outside the US who won't make it to any convention or will continue to be forced to pay through the nose for shipping of these products offered. the magazine itself may be nice, but you don't need to join the club or pay full price to get it as already explained (not to mention $16 US for 62 pages seems a bit much, regadless of the paper quailty, on top of the fact that buying it yourself will prevent any dilivery boy from bending or wrecking it by the time it reaches your house).

I don't like it so I won't join, and from the poll this site has done, I'm guessing alot of others won't.
I was off by a page.

Matpez

So, basically, since it isn't what THEY thought it shoudl be, THEY think it is a failure of epic proportions? Like I said, they will all be members in 3-6 months. They will then come on here and brag how awesome D23 is, and how they are special charter members, and how they knew this would be a great success.

At least in my situation, this is way off. I expected it to be a fan club. Something about what it is, special merchandise, a certificate, even an expo. What we also expected was an AFFORDABLE membership fee that was inclusive, say $20 to $30 AND some real actual reasons to join.
How about an in park event or two? How about a real insiders look at anything?
Instead, for $75 you get the same magazine you can buy without a membership, the same website you can see without a membership, and the same expo you can go to without a membership. So, you membership exclusive so far has been $6 a day off the Expo and the chance to buy... one more time because it's fun... a pen for $849.

EpcotServo

Disney Cheerleaders drive me crazy.

That is all.

In fact, so do regular cheerleaders.

Especially if they're from Heroes.

I'm just gonna' go ahead and lock in my answer as "all" cheerleaders unless they happen to be Haruhi, Mikuru, or Yuki.

^
In conclusion, Them as Cheerleaders = great.

Any other cheerleaders = drive me crazy.

NOW, that is all.

maggiegrace1

Disney Cheerleaders drive me crazy.

That is all.
*Shakes Pom-Poms*

GEAUX Disney!..:sohappy:

All this "23" and "64" stuff is funny to me...I just love Disney..

I guess if I was not just a Disney fan who loves the parks and the movies and did not really want to know about all the inner works of the comapny and who is who and blah blah blah then I would feel differently about the whole thing.

If you want to and can join then you do..if you do not want to or can not then you do not..

Simple isn't it?:shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

*Shakes Pom-Poms*

GEAUX Disney!..:sohappy:

All this "23" and "64" stuff is funny to me...I just love Disney..

I guess if I was not just a Disney fan who loves the parks and the movies and did not really want to know about all the inner works of the comapny and who is who and blah blah blah then I would feel differently about the whole thing.

If you want to and can join then you do..if you do not want to or can not then you do not..

Simple isn't it
?:shrug:

Simple: Disney is offering a mall club. They could have done better. I wish they did better. I wanted better. I think everyone wanted better. Not something that would fix the parks/movies/WDI but something that would be really "For The Fans". Some inside looks, some info, some special ($$$!) benefits that didn't cost all of the $$$.

Basically, I/We/D64 expected Disney to do something Disney-like.

Or at least what Disney USED to be like.

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
Simple: Disney is offering a mall club. They could have done better. I wish they did better. I wanted better. I think everyone wanted better. Not something that would fix the parks/movies/WDI but something that would be really "For The Fans". Some inside looks, some info, some special ($$$!) benefits that didn't cost all of the $$$.

Evan, the club has only been open for 7 days. How could you possibly know what types of events, inside looks, and special benefits are in the works? You know I don't usually get involved in these discussions, but I can't see the logic in assuming you know EVERYTHING that the club will offer in the future, in the first 7 days it's open. I feel quite confident that Disney, as a company, is smart enough to have plans in the works, and that they didn't release everything they plan to have in the first week. What fun would that be?

And no, I cannot afford to join... :shrug:

maggiegrace1

I understand that..my thing is that no matter what Disney does some people love it, some people hate it, and some people could care less.

No one is right or wrong here..it is basically peoples opinions on what they THINK is right or wrong.

"23" will probably do very well because there are people who are willing to join..and who is to say that they will not add any perks to the membership..it just started.

No one has still ever answered my question on whether if this was about EPCOT or AC would it be any different?

I for some reason think it would be..and that is fine..because it is what interests some people more..but the same could be said for this.

I just do not understand I guess what all the commotion is about...:shrug:..like I said..if you like it fine..if you do not then that is fine also..to each his own.

Some people just seem to get so upset about the whole thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom