Are you 23?

JWG

I'm giving it a try for a year. It may be a loss of $75, but really, I throw more than that away everyday in retirement savings that are now worthless.

If it sucks, I won't renew.

Let's give them time to prove themselves.
Though, I am ed about:

1) I signed up for the "advanced notice" on the D23 site a month ago.
2) I got a Disney Insider last night talking about D23 (nothing tied to #1)
3) I got a Disney Movie Clut e-mail today talking about D23 (nothing tied to #1)

Exactly when do I get notified about D23 for signing up to be????

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm giving it a try for a year. It may be a loss of $75, but really, I throw more than that away everyday in retirement savings that are now worthless.

If it sucks, I won't renew.

Let's give them time to prove themselves.
Though, I am ed about:

1) I signed up for the "advanced notice" on the D23 site a month ago.
2) I got a Disney Insider last night talking about D23 (nothing tied to #1)
3) I got a Disney Movie Clut e-mail today talking about D23 (nothing tied to #1)

Exactly when do I get notified about D23 for signing up to be????
Give it about a week. You did not think they meant right away did you?:rolleyes::lol:

WDWFigment

I think this has been stated already but am I missing something? I don't get all the fuss about the price? If you bought all the magazines at face value you'd spend around 65 bucks so the membership is really only $10.

Why isn't a membership worth $10? You don't know what they have in store for us, nobody knows what the surprise collectible from the Archives is yet do they? There could be all kinds of other surprises, you just don't know ... for $10 I think its worth finding out.

Now if you had no intention of ever getting the magazine then it might be another story but if you plan on buying the magazine anyway then its just plain idiotic to not go ahead and sign up the extra $10 bucks for the membership.

I'm sure the renewal price will be less next year ... now if it goes up then I may have an issue but for me right now the price is minimal.

Your math is only correct if you're paying full price for the magazines at BN. Maybe I am the only frugal one around here, but I can't remember the
last time I paid full price for anything at BN. There is always a 10-25% off coupon floating around the web, and I always use a family member's telephone number to get the member discount, too. That $10 difference quickly becomes $25, and at that point, I have to question the value of the additional perks of membership.

This is not to say I won't join. Once others report as to the "Special Archive Collectible," I'll make my decision. I suspect it's something worthless, otherwise they would have described it in detail or included a picture of the "collectible." None of the other aspects of membership carry any value to me.

MouseMadness

Again how many pages is the first publication of D23?

62, I just ran out to pick up one to see what the fuss was about :lol: It's pretty cool... it's fairly large, not a "magazine" size, more like a calendar like you'd hang on the wall? :shrug: So 62 big pages.

I don't get the fuss over the price, really. I equate it to less than one trip to a fast food restaurant for our family. :shrug: At least this is worth having hanging around, as opposed to the cheeseburger hanging on my gut. :eek:

baz212

Your math is only correct if you're paying full price for the magazines at BN. Maybe I am the only frugal one around here, but I can't remember the
last time I paid full price for anything at BN. There is always a 10-25% off coupon floating around the web, and I always use a family member's telephone number to get the member discount, too. That $10 difference quickly becomes $25, and at that point, I have to question the value of the additional perks of membership.

This is not to say I won't join. Once others report as to the "Special Archive Collectible," I'll make my decision. I suspect it's something worthless, otherwise they would have described it in detail or included a picture of the "collectible." None of the other aspects of membership carry any value to me.
If I lived closer to a B&N, I might agree with you. However I live at least an hour away from the nearest B&N. :brick:To drive there 4 times a year would cost me more than the $25 difference, and I don't know anyone that has their discount card. So for me, I actually save money by purchasing the membership, than if I bought it at the store. I usually only go that far away for shopping once or twice a year. I have a small local mall and such with everything I need on a regular basis, so the budget doesn't stretch to out of town shopping very often. Usually just for christmas presents and a back to school stock up at Sam's Club.

DoctorPrius

Jeez you guys should head over to Disney's official website they have aspecial video with Bob Iger introducing D23 saying how pleased he is to "honor Walt's legacy" and "do something for the fans".

It's actually a nice idea but the lack of forums or being able to communicate with Disney on the fly and the $75 price tag to join for the privelage to buy more stuff at astronomical prices reveals how out of touch Disney senior management is with the general public.

Disneyson 1

Hi, bringing some light into the text! The comics on the free page change every day! I never got why those comics were so good until I realized: They're a sequential story!! I'll have to check every day to see the updates. Just popping into all the hate...

MousDad

Mystery solved. If you have Spam blocker, you probably didn't get the email. I found the much anticipated email in my Spam folder. It came through at 8:36 PM ET on the 10th.

What a comedy of errors.

EPCOT Explorer

More D23 Fail:

My B/N had not gotten it yet...Wasn't tomorrow the "anticipated release date?"

Also...It just dawned on me that this is a YEARLY FEE!:eek::brick: You have to pay 75 bucks EVERY YEAR. Makes it 1000% worse for me.:lol:

Phonedave

Mystery solved. If you have Spam blocker, you probably didn't get the email. I found the much anticipated email in my Spam folder. It came through at 8:36 PM ET on the 10th.

What a comedy of errors.

Not for me. Nothing in the Spam bucket except ads for "enhancements"

-dave

Ausdaddy

Not to mention the fact that subscriptions are always significantly cheaper (40% or more). Face value is misleading.

TP2000

Well, based on Jim Hill's article today, there is a four year commitment to this enterprise. I don't understand the decision to have the D23 Expo in Anaheim for four years in a row. I love DLR, just can't go out there very often.

They are doing the Expo for the next four years in Anaheim? Wow, I would have thought it would go to Orlando at least every other year.

Personally, the Expo is the only part of D23 that interests me. But wait, you don't have to be a D23 member to get in to the Expo! You just get a six dollar discount on an Expo day ticket if you are a D23 member. :lol:

For East Coasters, the Anaheim Convention Center is the largest on the West Coast, newly remodeled, and is literally across the street from Disneyland. You can walk across Katella Avenue from the Convention Center and either walk 10 minutes to the Disneyland entrance, or catch a free parking lot tram from the Timon Lot to the Disneyland/DCA Main Entrance Esplanade. It's ridiculously convenient to Disneyland and several major convention hotels surrounding it. http://www.anaheimconventioncenter.com

The outline and itinerary for the multi-day Expo thing sounds very cool, especially the exhibits and pavilions dedicated to all of the different divisions of the Walt Disney Company. And the executive presentations given in the Anaheim Convention Center Arena sound promising. I can't wait to hear John Lasseter gush off the cuff about how cool he thinks Disneyland is, and watch Jay Rasulo read his PowerPoint talking points like an animatronic! :lol:

I'll probably be at the Expo for a day this September, since the Anaheim Convention Center is only a 20 minute drive from my house. And I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the extra six bucks for a ticket instead of getting the D23 discount rate. :cool:

But how odd that they have already dedicated the D23 Expo to Anaheim through 2012. Maybe John Lasseter had something to do with that? :eek:

TP2000

Yep after 24 hours we can definitely declare this a failure. We shouldn't give it time to expand or, heaven forbid, experience for ourselves. We should just look at some pictures online, read what other people are saying and then call it a day.

For 75 bucks Disney needs to sell this to me as a customer. Disney failed with that by offering what they did at D23's launch day. I was interested in the concept, looked at all of the information made available to consumers, and decided it was a huge ripoff with questionable offerings that I wasn't going to purchase. And judging by many other posts here, they also failed to gain a lot of other customers besides just myself.

Now if they tweak D23 and pile on more stuff to try and fix it, or lower the price, I may change my tune. But for what they are offering for 75 bucks at launch, yeah, this is a failure of Light Magic proportions.

We'll know if Disney realizes D23 just fell flat on its face if they go for a quick PR grass roots campaign, inviting influential/famous website folks like Al Lutz for interviews and schmoozefest Hollywood lunches. When that happens, you know D23 fell off the launch pad in a cloud of smoke and Disney is worried.

Until then, we can just speculate on the level of failure here with D23. :animwink:

MousDad

I can't wait to hear John Lasseter gush off the cuff about how cool he thinks Disneyland is, and watch Jay Rasulo read his PowerPoint talking points like an animatronic! :lol:

If Rasulo ever showed up at this event, I would be beyond shocked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom