Are you 23?

tirian

DID YOU SEE THE PRICES FOR THE CRAP IN THE STORE?!

$299 for a Sleeping Beauty ballpoint pen. There's nothing special about it, unless you think resin and metal are worth $299.

$119.95 for a leather-bound journal...basically the same thing as the $40 leather ones at Target (and the only thing that makes this "Sleeping Beauty" is a fleur-de-lis in the cover.)

$29 for 15 note cards.

The kitchen place settings are melamine (read: feels like plastic) and feature lovely Disney artwork, such as a tree branch.

$849 for a ballpoint pen with a "WDS" coin on top. This one is resin and metal with some silver accents.

$89.95 for a frame that fits the Charter Member certificate.

The mag is okay, but Laughing Place is better-designed. The only thing that's really nice about all this for the rabid Disney fan is that the member's certificate features lesser-known characters, including Pedro the airplane and Gurgi (from "TBC").

Am I the only person amazed that Disney is launching this in the middle of a worldwide recession that's threatening to become a depression? Plenty of people might pay the $75/year, but who's going to pay $75 to have access to an $849 resin ink pen?

tirian

They probably sold 10,000 of these things today to the same people who wouldn't pay the $20 a night it would have taken to keep the Adventurer's Club open....

I am passing on this one, seems like a colossal ripoff to me.

Kungaloosh can mean "hello", Kungaloosh can mean "goodbye", Kungaloosh can mean, "Excuse me sir, do you know anywhere I can purchase a $849.95 writing instrument?"

You beat me to it! :ROFLOL:

Disneyson 1

My thoughts -

-Nice sentiments and articles (they mention some D23 guesses that WE made!)

-Archives are very well put together. Although history isn't my main thing, I'll really look forward to these stories.

- Comics are a nice touch.

- The expo sounds good, but needs more details.

-The UP screening might be nice at El Capitan or at nationwide cinemas. I guess you'd have to show ID and you'd get in? Sounds like a nice thing to justify the high costs.

- Magazine is NICE!! A nice option if you don't want to join.

- Love the articles, even if they're not totally "insider", they're great stories. Besides, who doesn't love getting a shiny new magazine in the mail every season?

-Merch is okay.

-The pen that you talk of has been in Levenger's mag for a couple of months. I believe that there, though, there much more pricy.

-The fig of Walt and Oswald is nice.

-Pins are the only thing I'd consider buying now (and maybe a shirt)

Finally, it's a nice thing to do. The free portion of the site is very nice. The member option sounds O.K., yet the events and perks are a little shifty right now. You can't really tell if you're getting your money's worth right away. The certificate, mag, and "surprise gift" seem good and all, but the proof in the pudding right now are the newsletter and the events.

I'm gonna try it. I mean, I should at least give it a chance, right? I want to see how this turns out: the e-mails, the mag, etc. I hope someone here lives in Anaheim, though!!!

Sorry for the "betrayal" of "64". I'm king of feeling like an outcast for trying it! But hey, it might be fun. I'll give you my reports.

-Disneyson 1

Wilt Dasney

Sorry for the "betrayal" of "64". I'm king of feeling like an outcast for trying it! But hey, it might be fun. I'll give you my reports.

-Disneyson 1
I hope this doesn't become the norm...people feeling like they need to apologize for joining the club.

If it sounds like something you'd like and won't break you, then do what suits you.

jakeman

It sounds like you're questioning motives under the 'guise' of being a fairer, more open-minded fan.
I do consider myself fairly open-minded. I at least wait until I can see something in person before judging it.

The simple fact is this:

There is very little perspective on this board. Everything is a pendulum swing from the best thing that Disney ever did to, more often than not, a horrible idea made by horrible management.

Judgements are passed before products make it out the door. Decisions made by the company are evaluated in a vacuum, with any factors that don't support a certain point of view ignored.
That seems like a terribly ignorant viewpoint. I hope you don't have it. That's almost as bad as those high on pixie dust fanbois who think Disney can do no wrong.
It's almost as ignorant as claiming one knows what's best for the company with only information gained by internet boards and hersey.

Tink313

Oh I have been waiting for that special email from Disney 23 that I signed up for, all day and disney stiil havent emailed me.:fork:
I just check my mail and I received an email from the insider talking about disney 23 around 10:30 pm. :confused: That wasnt a heads up. If it wasnt for this site and all of you, wonderful true disney fans I still will be waiting and wondering.

Did any one here get a special email from the "special sign up":rolleyes: be the first to know my butt :dazzle:

Enchantâmes

I'm sorry but this is part of the reason I am beginning to not like Bob Iger...
The Idea of Disney reaching out to fans is great but this feels way too cold. It reminds me of the magazines in airplanes targeted at rich business men and people in gated communities who are dumb enough to buy a "dog ladder" or a recreation of Harry Potter's wand... If you really want to reach out to the fans here are some ways to go about it...
1. Less Pixar based attractions and more originality in the parks.
2. Journey Into Imagination v4 with both Figment and Dreamfinder
3. Reopen the Adventurer's Club.
4. Move the DHS hat.
5. Simply bring back Disney Magazine.
6. Use the Theme Parks for innovation and imagination instead of just marketing.
7. No more Stitch.
8. If you are going to have a celebration do it only every once and a while and it should be on par with the Millennium Celebration and the 25th of WDW.
9. There is so much more that can be done but above all REOPEN THE ADVENTURER"S CLUB!!!! :fork:

jakeman

The Idea of Disney reaching out to fans is great but this feels way too cold. It reminds me of the magazines in airplanes targeted at rich business men and people in gated communities who are dumb enough to buy a "dog ladder" or a recreation of Harry Potter's wand... If you really want to reach out to the fans here are some ways to go about it...
4. Move the DHS hat.
6. Use the Theme Parks for innovation and imagination instead of just marketing.
7. No more Stitch.
8. If you are going to have a celebration do it only every once and a while and it should be on par with the Millennium Celebration and the 25th of WDW.
9. There is so much more that can be done but above all REOPEN THE ADVENTURER"S CLUB!!!! :fork:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the magazine is about the company as a whole, not just Walt Disney World?

Phonedave

4. Move the DHS hat.
7. No more Stitch.

As much as I loved the AC, and as much as I would like it back, you have to look a how large a cross section of Disney fans it appealed to. There are fans and there are fans, all are different. There were many people who loved to go to WDW who had never set foot in the AC.

-dave

TP2000

So, reading on the D23 website about the Expo this September in Anaheim, there is a glimmer of hope that this D23 element might be worthwhile. But you don't have to be a D23 member to go the Expo, just that D23 members get a six dollar discount off of tickets. Six bucks. Whoopee! :rolleyes:

Otherwise, the D23 rollout seems to rank right up there with some of the all-time huge failures and flops in modern Disney history. Such as:

• Light Magic in May, 1997
  • Imagination! pavilion at Epcot in 1999
  • Disney's California Adventure, a few days after the grand opening, February, 2001

Really, D23 seems to have fallen flat on its face. For the life of me I can't figure out why Disney thought this would work, and why they thought we would all jump at the chance to spend 75 bucks to buy expensive stuff no one needs, or that can already be purchased by the general public without a D23 membership.

It's just baffling how they bungled this one so badly. :confused:

MousDad

Really, D23 seems to have fallen flat on its face. For the life of me I can't figure out why Disney thought this would work, and why they thought we would all jump at the chance to spend 75 bucks to buy expensive stuff no one needs, or that can already be purchased by the general public without a D23 membership.

It's just baffling how they bungled this one so badly. :confused:

Bingo. I hope the Dream and Fantasy won't be as dead in the water as this one.

If you're going to do something, do it right.

If you're going do something and build it up as this huge event, you better do it really, really, really right.

Matpez

I'm still stunned. I can't believe how many of you help to confirm to Disney that you will just throw money at them for any garbage they present to you. What do you get for $75 I can not get without a membership? A certificate, a tiny discount off admission to an expo, and the exclusive right to spend even more money on even more crap like an $849 pen.
What 23 SHOULD have been is reflected by what us fans really wanted. Things like "Celebration 25" officially sponsored by Disney. A fan community with forums, news and rumors. The "official" version of sites like this one. Instead it is a total scam of Disney begging for your money and you happily giving it to them.

Bug715

I just got back from B&N where I picked up a copt of 2+3. Im very disapointed. The old Disney magazine had much more interesting information for my interest. The magazine seemed like the first half of the annual report. Even the few parts I did read read as if I was a member so there is really nothing "special" for those who join. Wasnt that the whole thing about this "exclusive" club for its "members". There was a few old pictures, a nice article about the Cali grill, alot of subliminal advertising about the upcoming movies and other projects, a where was this photo taken page, and not a whole lot else. It was definately not another vote for me to join.

From what I understand this is the only time the mag will be available to the public. But that could be wrong.

I'm trying to figure out if I should splurge and join. I'm moving to FL in August so if there are events I'd be there but I'm not cool with having to pay more just to go to the events. I know that this is the case for the Expo but will it be the case for all events?

Also, is the only place you can buy the membership disneyshopping.com?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom