Are the users on this forum jaded?

Alexx

I do get fed up with the amount of moaning and criticising, when I'm in WDW I'm the happiest I can be. When your visits are 2 years apart and your normal life consists of a stressful job, bad weather, living in a crime filled area and everyday annoyances, WDW is perfect to me!

Maybe I wear rose coloured glasses when I'm there but I don't seem to noticed negetive things - I'm not saying they don't exist, yeah I'm sure 'X' is outdated and 'Y' isn't in full working mode but I don't care!!

Maybe it's because I'm so far away from WDW and visits are too few that I appreciate it for what it is, could it be regulars take WDW for granted? :shrug:

Pretty much this ^ It astounds me that these people seem to complain and complain yet they still go and ride the rides they complain about.
Whatever, I enjoy myself when I go to Disney.

captainkidd

Jaded - No.
Spoiled - Yes.

Those of us who have been visiting WDW for a long time know how great it can be. We know the potential. We've seen lots of laziness and cheapness from the company in regards to the place. Not just in the parks - Resorts, DTD, transportation, employees.

I think it's human nature. When you've had the best, you expect it all the time. WDW is my favorite place in the world (what little of it I've seen). I love each and every trip. But I know they could be doing a lot of things better.

wvdisneyfamily

I wouldn't say jaded is the right word. There are few mindsets represented on the boards. You have people that see everything done by Disney as wrong, people that defend Disney to the bitter end, and members that fall somewhere in the middle of those extremes. 90% of us have a pet issue that may make us seem jaded. Things like the Yeti, the Adventurers Club, pool hopping, reusing mugs, beating the parking system, tour groups, overly inflated prices, the dining plan, etc...come up frequently. However, just as frequently you find threads about things we love. For example, there are a dozen picture of the day threads, cast member appreciation threads, scrapbooking threads, photo contests, and many others.

Disney is something for which we feel passion. I'm not sure you can be jaded and passionate about the same thing as jaded and passionate are contradictory. Perhaps the criticisms that make us seem numb to the magic that is Disney come as a result of our expectations. We all wouldn't have come to love Disney so much if it weren't so magical and incredible. When we see something that takes away from what Disney could be, we make notice and discuss it.

OP, good thread for discussion!

forevermickey

It is real easy to get sucked into cynicism. It almost, dare I say fashionable, to hate everything. I found myself getting sucked into the cynical pit a year or two after I joined Magic and made a very conscious decision not to be that guy. For me it was as simple as looking at a situation from as many angles as possible. When I did that I was able to understand the logic in what initially looked like a stupid decision.

There are still things that stick in my craw (AC and the Yeti being the biggest) but I pick my battles now. My number one goal is to be happy and not to pick everything apart for the sole purpose of finding a problem.

I'm with Master Yoda on this one. How can I begrudge my most fav. place in the world!? So yes I pick and choose my battles which are few to none. WDW holds such a high standard that somethings you think they could give that extra little something... but reality is there is a budget for everything in life and if they went soup to nuts on everything our ticket prices would really increase in price and that would make a big "fuss" :)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Jaded, No.

Sometimes disappointed, Yes.

Disney World wants to be viewed as the premiere vacation destination in the world. They want to be the best, and so we hold them to the standard they set for themselves. The abandoned pavilions, the broken Yeti, the PI debacle, the Flamingo Crossings disaster. These are things Disney deserves to be criticized for.

I go to Disney minimum once a year, I own DVC, and I love WDW. However, I am not so drunk on pixie dust that I can not see when they do something wrong.

I do get fed up with the amount of moaning and criticising, when I'm in WDW I'm the happiest I can be. When your visits are 2 years apart and your normal life consists of a stressful job, bad weather, living in a crime filled area and everyday annoyances, WDW is perfect to me!

Maybe I wear rose coloured glasses when I'm there but I don't seem to noticed negetive things - I'm not saying they don't exist, yeah I'm sure 'X' is outdated and 'Y' isn't in full working mode but I don't care!!

Maybe it's because I'm so far away from WDW and visits are too few that I appreciate it for what it is, could it be regulars take WDW for granted? :shrug:

This.
My first trip to Florida was in 2002, I last went in October and I'm going again in July. After that, probably about 5 years to my next visit. Disney = an escape from reality, I'm so happy to be there, I don't care about certain things others do. I guess if you go there often, or even a few times a year, you would notice more. But for me, I'm just happy to be back!

zachrupertdsn

Original Poster
Wow this thread got a lot more responses then I thought it would. I would say overall the consensus is people are just trying to hold Disney to a standard they wanted us to hold them to, with a touch of spoiled from some:p

docandsix

It's not black and white...

Really, there are times that it seems clear that the people here feed on one another's negativity, led to criticize everything and anything because so much has been pointed out so often. I even find myself becoming discouraged about the "current state of Walt Disney World" when reading the boards, only to discover that many of the minor details highlighted here never come to my attention when I'm actually wandering the parks in wonder.

On the other hand, much of the magic of Disney lies in the details. This broad observation may reflect what I love most about visiting Walt Disney World--it's different, sublime almost, in its feigned perfection, cleanliness and precision. (The very worst thing about running the marathon is that one is forced to run through backstage areas, destroying this critical illusion.) We all know that nothing in this world is perfect, but the Disney parks are capable of coming so close that when they do, they convey a glimpse of something more, something different than the world in which we live from day to day.

This sound almost sacrilegious, but the writings of C.S. Lewis often portrayed Heaven as little more than the world we already know, but perfected, cleansed, and harmonized. Thus when I walk down Main Street, U.S.A. under the right circumstances, I think I see a faint glimmer of paradise. Without the details, the experience would be vacated such that I'm walking through just another theme park. More obvious flaws, like seeing the yeti neglected for years, slap me directly in the face with that hard reality.

Finally, people who know more than I do assert with conviction that Al Lutz and his "jaded" perspective actually helped force Disney to restore Disneyland (and California Adventure) to its deserved glory after years of neglect. If this board or its contributors can muster such an impact by being jaded, I say more power to all of us.

nepalostparks

Yet a direct comparison is exactly the one I make. Since I no longer live near either set of parks, when I am deciding where I want to experience Disney, I have to choose whether I'm flying east or flying west. Recently, I've been choosing west. It never used to be that way, but the last few years, I'd just rather be at Disneyland - I enjoy the Resort more (and really, it's just Disneyland proper; I generally think DCA stinks), it's typically cheaper and there's many, many more non-Disney places of interest (for me) to visit in the immediate area.

Yet they both compete directly for my dollar.

As I said in my post, I was looking at the majority of customers in either case. For you specifically, a more direct comparison may make sense for your particular case. But I still feel for a majority of consumers, the two destinations are not competing for the same dollar.

EDIT: Effectively, your point is that one resort has to try (California) and that the other resort (Orlando) does not have to try; and I agree that if you look at it entirely in a short-term "we need to make maximum profit today and we'll worry about tomorrow's profit tomorrow" manner of thinking and management. However, I fail to see how one can be branded as "jaded" because they happen to point out that the one resort (WDW) doesn't try and makes very little effort and that the behavior of the other resort (DLR) proves the company is capable of trying if it chooses to do so. Pointing out the obvious doesn't make someone jaded, imo.

Indeed, that's my point. But let me be clear - as a fan, I don't think it's right. Like many, I wish the same amount of care and consideration (i.e. dollars) was going into the attractions, shows, parades, and sets at Walt Disney World like it seems to be going into Disneyland. But I understand, from a purely business and bottom-line sense why it doesn't.

And I agree, pointing this fact out does not make someone "jaded" (or whatever term you feels fits best under the context) on its own. But the failure to understand the difference between the two resorts and in general, the two different sets of consumers (some cases like yours excluded), coupled with the constant complaining by some users no matter what happens in Walt Disney World... that I think leads people like the original poster to view some of the members here as "jaded."

KingdomofDreams

Jaded, No.

Sometimes disappointed, Yes.

Disney World wants to be viewed as the premiere vacation destination in the world. They want to be the best, and so we hold them to the standard they set for themselves. The abandoned pavilions, the broken Yeti, the PI debacle, the Flamingo Crossings disaster. These are things Disney deserves to be criticized for.

I go to Disney minimum once a year, I own DVC, and I love WDW. However, I am not so drunk on pixie dust that I can not see when they do something wrong.

I agree with this comment and the others who have expressed similar thoughts. A few are a bit jaded, but the vast majority posting here love Disney, are truly concerned, and express their disappointment and frustration (sometimes maybe too passionately) when they see standards slipping.

The beauty and magic of Disney parks is absolutely in the details. All those thousands of seemingly insignificant details combined together make the Disney experience what it is. A few things here and there may not make a noticeable difference to most park guests, but add more and more, and discerning guests begin to notice. Enough things added together become glaringly apparent to most guests and diminishes the magical experience we all love so much.

Martian Crab

WDW is a product. The people that visit are customers. Any customer will have a set of standards it expects from any particular product; it is how they judge whether or not the value of the product/service is worth it's cost.

All of that said, this standard will be different for different customers. I think most people judge WDW against its other theme park competition - they say, "WDW is a better experience than Universal/IOA and Six Flags and that is why I happily spend the extra cost to attend often." And that is a perfectly reasonable opinion to hold.

However, other people have a different set of standards. For example, I happen to judge WDW against itself. When I look at Epcot, I say to myself "Is this better than EPCOT Center?" and the answer is "no". I judge the level of upkeep and maintenance versus what it was in the 80s and early 90s. I judge the opening of a park like AK against what EPCOT Center and MK were like when they opened. I find these comparisons are not favorable to modern day WDW; others may disagree.

And I don't just judge WDW against itself, I also judge it against it's domestic brother - Disneyland. That's another comparison WDW fails on many levels; imho. Again, reasonable people may disagree.

What does this all mean to the question posed in the first post? Are we jaded? I don't think so; it's just that many (most?) of the posters on this message board judge WDW against a different set of standards than the thread's creator. We're all customers; that is what we do. I know that based on my set of standards, over the last 15 years or so, the frequency of my trips has decreased from 1 (sometimes 2) trips a year to once every other year, the length of trips have decreased from a week to 4 or 5 days, and half these "Disney" trips are now to California instead of Florida. For me, I have discovered some better uses of my dollar. Do I still enjoy going to WDW? Sure. But I enjoy it less than I used to. I don't feel bad about expressing that opinion on a discussion board about WDW.

I concur.

Minnie1976

No, I don't think the people on the boards are jaded. We expect all parts of the attractions to work like they did when we 1st started going. I think Disney has expanded so much that they have let the little things slide. Unfortunately, people who love Disney and have been many times notice these little things. I think the people who have been to Disney a lot expect Disney perfection and in some cases it isn't there anymore.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
When I was an Orlandoan, I was definitely jaded. I used my AP over 300x per year and would about everything (see D-Troops).

I left Orlando, Florida, and the US altogether in 2007. I limited my exposure to the Disney parks on purpose, since as a fan, living so close to the parks, and going there so often since my childhood had made it hard for me to relate to others. They would about taxes, and I didn't understand why, just like they didn't understand why I despise (or even care about) Stitch's Great Escape.

When I left, I was actually worried about what to do for entertainment.

Anyway, like I said, I started to limit my trips. No more than 3 days at a time, and there must be another non-Disney purpose to the trip (usually conventions). After a while, I realized something. I WAS JADED! I realized it on my first trip back, when suddenly I didn't care about things that previously bothered me. I actually enjoyed the parks for what they were, rather than gripe about what they had been!

So yes, many of the people here are jaded, even if they can't admit it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom