Are the users on this forum jaded?

zachrupertdsn

Original Poster
Let me start this post by saying I am not trolling or trying to start a flame war, I am posing this as a serious question.

While I don't post on here very often, I have been coming here for almost two years to get the latest news & rumors, help planning my trip, etc.. I think it is easily the best resource for all of this information, but the negativity towards change and new rides astounds me. Let me give you a little information about myself to set where I am coming from with this.

My family has been going to Walt Disney World since it opened. I personally have been to the parks 9 times since I was only four months and my tenth trip is coming up in September. I almost have always driven to Florida from Southern Pennsylvania. This trip is not a small one, and we often only took it every four years. This is my third year in a row going and my last in years to actually stay in the parks.

When I come on here and see people disappointed in the new Star Wars, the Fantasyland expansion, the lack of the yeti working, The seas with Nemo and friends, etc., I just think to myself these people are seriously jaded.
Is it the nostalgia of having the old rides back making people bitter, or the ability of the people who live close to visit so often that has made them this way? I think one of the most discussed things on here is the fact that the yeti doesn't work properly. Even with the yeti in disco mode, my two friends I took on their first trip to DW last year were still blown away by this ride.

For the average person who doesn't get to venture to DW often, this place is still just as magical as ever. The closest thing we have to amusement parks here is Hershey Park, and there is no way to even attempt to compare them. People complaining about lines on here should try coming to a park like that, I was at Hershey Park from opening to closing and rode five rides the entire day because of the waits.

I am ranting but I really wanted to try to convey my point. I mean no disrespect towards anyone, and I understand that it is every person's choice to have differing opinions if they want to or not. Do some of the users on here ever take a step back and think about all the amazing things they get to do, rather then gravitate towards all the negativity?

Glasgow

Jaded is one word you could use, but I think disappointment might be more apt. We often know the potential of how something can or should be done but for whatever reason, it is not. It's the fact that every single upgrade, service, cleaning, etc. does not reach it's maximum potential that probably bothers people the most - it used to be done that way.

A good analogy might be a concept car. You see it at a car show and it looks awesome with the huge wheels and beautiful ground effects and groundbreaking technology, but then you go to buy it and it's been downgraded to fit the manufacturing budget. Still a nice new car, but not the one you thought you were going to see.

As if WDW was our child, we just want it to reach it's full potential .. can't do any better than that ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is real easy to get sucked into cynicism. It almost, dare I say fashionable, to hate everything. I found myself getting sucked into the cynical pit a year or two after I joined Magic and made a very conscious decision not to be that guy. For me it was as simple as looking at a situation from as many angles as possible. When I did that I was able to understand the logic in what initially looked like a stupid decision.

There are still things that stick in my craw (AC and the Yeti being the biggest) but I pick my battles now. My number one goal is to be happy and not to pick everything apart for the sole purpose of finding a problem.

Club Cooloholic

I don't know if jaded is the right word. I think some people don't want things to change or over analyze things, because this whole Disneyworld thing becomes something of an obsessive hobby rather than a vacation destination. Its fun though, and you learn a lot. That said, I had a great last trip by slowing down, and not really thinking about what was right and wrong and just enjoying it, but it was great to have some of the stuff I learned on here to lean on.

zachrupertdsn

Original Poster
Jaded is one word you could use, but I think disappointment might be more apt. We often know the potential of how something can or should be done but for whatever reason, it is not. It's the fact that every single upgrade, service, cleaning, etc. does not reach it's maximum potential that probably bothers people the most - it used to be done that way.

A good analogy might be a concept car. You see it at a car show and it looks awesome with the huge wheels and beautiful ground effects and groundbreaking technology, but then you go to buy it and it's been downgraded to fit the manufacturing budget. Still a nice new car, but not the one you thought you were going to see.

As if WDW was our child, we just want it to reach it's full potential .. can't do any better than that ;)
That is a great point, I guess I can see how people are more disappointed in certain things.

I am also wondering how often the people who seem jaded/disappointed actually get to travel to the parks.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It is real easy to get sucked into cynicism. It almost, dare I say fashionable, to hate everything. I found myself getting sucked into the cynical pit a year or two after I joined Magic and made a very conscious decision not to be that guy. For me it was as simple as looking at a situation from as many angles as possible. When I did that I was able to understand the logic in what initially looked like a stupid decision.

There are still things that stick in my craw (AC and the Yeti being the biggest) but I pick my battles now. My number one goal is to be happy and not to pick everything apart for the sole purpose of finding a problem.

I think that is a great way of looking at. And yep, as a WDW fan you have to be unhappy with the Yeti situation. Having a major effect not work for years is unacceptable.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
What you did not take note of is the fact that majority of the people on here STILL visit the parks on a fairly regular basis. It's not that they dislike the parks but have seen the transitions in their eyes not fulfill its utmost potential.

dave&di

I do get fed up with the amount of moaning and criticising, when I'm in WDW I'm the happiest I can be. When your visits are 2 years apart and your normal life consists of a stressful job, bad weather, living in a crime filled area and everyday annoyances, WDW is perfect to me!

Maybe I wear rose coloured glasses when I'm there but I don't seem to noticed negetive things - I'm not saying they don't exist, yeah I'm sure 'X' is outdated and 'Y' isn't in full working mode but I don't care!!

Maybe it's because I'm so far away from WDW and visits are too few that I appreciate it for what it is, could it be regulars take WDW for granted? :shrug:

CAPTAIN HOOK

What Steve points out about the Yeti is correct (and quite rightly so). However, what really makes me cross is the sad folk on here who grumble when they see a light bulb out, or something is in need of a coat of paint.

Perhaps they'd have something to complain about if WDW shut for a month each year just so routine maintainance can be done. Get real people - its open 365 days a year so you can enjoy it, not pick faults

zachrupertdsn

Original Poster
What you did not take note of is the fact that majority of the people on here STILL visit the parks on a fairly regular basis. It's not that they dislike the parks but have seen the transitions in their eyes not fulfill its utmost potential.
This is what I was trying to ask in a sense, does the fact many people are disappointed correlate with often visiting the park

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is what I was trying to ask in a sense, does the fact many people are disappointed correlate with often visiting the park
I do believe that frequent visits does increase the chances of becoming jaded. Anytime you get that close to something, be it Disney, video games, or whatever your expectations of it can and often do increase. What was great 2 years ago can become unacceptable today.

woodardfamily

I get alot out of the opinions, questions, and experiences. It has always helped me to plan better trip and enjoy my time. These forums are probably the best on the web for honest WDW information in my opinion. Jaded? Some on here maybe. But it doesn't bother me.

menamechris

As many have said, I think jaded is a harsh word. I think it is very hard sometimes to interpret the written word - it excludes tone, facial expression, sometimes even sarcasm. You have to take it with a grain of salt on here. I can't imagine why anyone would spend time on a forum like this unless they were a true Disney fan. With that said, we are often most critical of the things we love, especially if we feel aspects of it are being neglected or ignored.

Magenta Panther

I think we just care.

I want the Disney parks to adhere to the standards set by Walt himself. And I want them to be the best parks in the world. I don't think I can be described as "jaded".

NiarrNDisney

It is real easy to get sucked into cynicism. It's almost, dare I say fashionable, to hate everything. I found myself getting sucked into the cynical pit a year or two after I joined Magic and made a very conscious decision not to be that guy. For me it was as simple as looking at a situation from as many angles as possible. When I did that I was able to understand the logic in what initially looked like a stupid decision.

Well said sir!

daveo43175

Being one of the newer members to join WDWmagic, I can where someone might consider some of the members here as jaded. But I choose to see it this way; Any casual fan of anything always seems to have a very positive outlook and choose to see only the good towards the thing. It is true in sports, activities and life. But a FANATIC such as many are here, know the potential of what can be done and rightfully show their disappointment when things are not done up to what they believe Disney standards are.
It is one reason I like this sight. You get the good, the bad and the ugly and usually from an insiders view!

powlessfamily4

I don’t know that I would say anyone on these boards is anymore negative then the what the average person sees from day to day. I think it may seem to stick out more because of the “Happy Place” syndrome that occurs naturally with anything Disney. We have all experienced being in the parks and seeing something negative take place, and reporting on our own and others reactions to it. Had it happened in our normal day to day lives it probably wouldn’t muster enough attention to warrant repeating. When we come to the boards to read and celebrate our mutual love for Walt Disney and Disney World, it appears negativity is just that much more obvious.
I do understand why people complain about certain issues. The Yeti not working is a big deal when so much advertising about that attraction is centered on the Yeti and the swinging arm. It is hard not to be disappointed. It is like going to a water park only to find no water in the pools.
Always look for the bright side…. You’ll live longer :)

lazyboy97o

I think we just care.

I want the Disney parks to adhere to the standards set by Walt himself. And I want them to be the best parks in the world. I don't think I can be described as "jaded".
Agreed! I cannot recall ever seeing a person who simply dislikes everything. I think part of the issue is that plenty of people see no point in just saying "That was good!" over and over, so it ends up appearing that all is said is negative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom