Appalling state of the monorail cabins

bethymouse

You ARE making excuses. That may not be your intent, but you are just the same.

There is no excuse, no explanation, no feel good reason that fans can cloak themselves in. Disney delivers a crappy product in Orlando because its leaders choose to.

Maintaining anything is tough when you let things go for years or decades ...
That's just wrong, and very sad! Perhaps that's why we're taking a break from Disney for a while!:cry:

WDW1974

That's just wrong, and very sad! Perhaps that's why we're taking a break from Disney for a while!:cry:

Well, nothing looks like that at BGT ... or UNI ... etc.

The boats at UNI look brand new clean EVERY day. The boats at WDW are covered in cobwebs and have all sorts of creepy crawlies hanging around because Disney doesn't think they should be cleaned nightly. You must understand that with pay starting a smidge over seven and a half dollars an hour how much this might actually cost and why it just is impossible to handle.

Scuttle

I'm as cynical as anyone here about WDW, but I actually give TDO a pass on this one. It's mass transit, yes it should look better, but can we worry about the state and show quality of the rides and in park attractions or the queues filled with trash or the thousand other park ops issues?

Bottom line yes it should be cleaner, but fix the actual in Park attractions first I say.

Bairstow

Oh, and before some naive spirit says 'Just don't go. Show them with your wallet!' let me explain that Disney doesn't want any guest who might notice or have an issue with the condition of the trains. They'd much rather exchange you for yet another Honey Boo Boo type.

Well that's game over, then.
If Disney is simply going through an adjustment period to match the expectations of their customers, why are we beating ourselves up about it?

CaptainJackNO

This is what the guests do.

On one hand, we need new trains. They're 20 years old.

On the other hand, this is how the guests treat things. Why should we drop a billion on new trains when this is how they treat them?

I doubt that is a discussion had by TDO. This can and will cause loss of revenue. Just demand better maintenance.

Skyway

There is no excuse for the condition of the monorails.

But also consider the wear and tear and abuse those things endure.

In the old days, everyone had to take a seat. There was no standing, and there was no room for strollers, wheelchairs, and electric scooters.

Now, due in part to the resort's huge growth, they must pack those trains as full as possible. With that many people crammed into such a small space so many times a day, there is going to be extreme wear and tear, especially on any trim that gets rammed by strollers and scooters.

Sadly, the best way to make the trains attractive will be to replace the already sparse interior with hard, rigid fiberglass like the parking lot trams. And they need to shift away more traffic to buses and watercraft. The monorails simply can no longer comfortably handle the demand created by additional rooms/DVC going up along the MK route.

And that's a shame because, as someone pointed out, Disney is charging a fortune to stay at a monorail resort.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Now, due in part to the resort's huge growth, they must pack those trains as full as possible. With that many people crammed into such a small space so many times a day, there is going to be extreme wear and tear, especially on any trim that gets rammed by strollers and scooters.

If that were the case.. and the company actually believed in their quality of service...wouldn't that be even more reason to expand or replace the fleet.. vs running it into the ground?

For all the reasons 'why' the wear/tear happens - no one can seem to come up with a legit reason to abandon the level of service the resort was founded on.

When things wear out more.. that means you put more into addressing the problem. That is unless.. you are the the Walt Disney Company of the 21st century.

sparky03

Too many guests are causing mold??

Hm. Then why does my basement have mold? Nobody ever goes down there. Unless, maybe, people are breaking into my house and having parties down there I don't know about.

And I always thought it was my neglecting to clean the basement was what was causing the mold.

CDavid

Your observations are spot on, but... how good does the inside of your 25 year old, constantly used for public transportation, car look?

Age is far less important than most people think. Maintenance is what matters; If we all had a mechanic (with necessary budget) on staff every night to tend the thing, it would be no problem to still be driving personal cars we bought in the 1980's or before.

Amtrak has dining cars built in 1948 which have been in "public transportation" service for over 65 years. That's hardly an excuse for outright neglect. Few years back, I was reading someone's review of their trip, where they talked about the 'new' dining car on the train.

SoupBone

I'm not defending Disney (America) because clearly those pictures show things that are their fault for not maintaining 100%. It's also very sad to see that as well. However, in my anecdotal experiences at WDW, I find people trash the place like it's their own personal garbage can, and it only seems to be getting worse. Maybe Disney needs more personnel to handle maintenance and grounds cleaning, but some of the blame for nasty facilities falls squarely on some people that visit the place and leave it in shambles because they think it's their right to trash it because they paid to be there.

Tokyo Disney monorail:

2005%2008%2002%20Inside%20Tokyo%20Disneyland%20Monorail.JPG

gallery003.jpg

Disney World used to look like that. The 'Disney' in the name didn't denote cartoon franchises, but a place where everything was spotless, freshly painted, friendly and reassuring.
While I understand that in 2013 East Asia is First World and America is Third World, UNI still manages to have spotless transportation systems. Shiny and clean:

dscn5277.jpg

The Empress Lilly

I'm not defending Disney (America) because clearly those pictures show things that are their fault for not maintaining 100%. It's also very sad to see that as well. However, in my anecdotal experiences at WDW, I find people trash the place like it's their own personal garbage can, and it only seems to be getting worse. Maybe Disney needs more personnel to handle maintenance and grounds cleaning, but some of the blame for nasty facilities falls squarely on some people that visit the place and leave it in shambles because they think it's their right to trash it because they paid to be there.
Absolutely.

But trash has become a 'chicken or egg - which came first' question. Disney is positioning itself ever lower on the cultural ladder, so low that it by now attracts the trash from three continents while normal people flee the place. Trash begets trash. Disney and its clientèle are stuck in a morbid embrace, a race to the bottom. WDW by now is about getting drunk and eating 4000 calorie desserts and tarting up your little honeybooboo princess for her picture with Belle. So it attracts people who enjoy that. Who in turn reply to the guest polling how insulted they are that their little Ricardo at Epcot was subjected to material that could be considered educational. So Disney removes that, further alienating more sophisticated audiences. Etc.

A second chicken-or-egg mechanism is the well-studied phenomenon that clean spaces tend to be treated with respect, and dirty plaes with contempt. That is, commuters wouldn't even put their feet up on the seats in a pristine monorail or underground wagon, but will trash a dirty one.

Nubs70

Here is a picture of a light fixture under the Epcot bustop Port Orleans stalls - Pick up station 8 - iirc.
Epcot Bustop.jpg

This is an example of employees and management plain not caring.

On lighter side.... rather brighter side, the cure for cancer may be in there. (I think that was my first ever double pun)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom