Appalling state of the monorail cabins

Bairstow

Tokyo Disney monorail:

2005%2008%2002%20Inside%20Tokyo%20Disneyland%20Monorail.JPG

gallery003.jpg

Disney World used to look like that. The 'Disney' in the name didn't denote cartoon franchises, but a place where everything was spotless, freshly painted, friendly and reassuring.
While I understand that in 2013 East Asia is First World and America is Third World, UNI still manages to have spotless transportation systems. Shiny and clean:

dscn5277.jpg
Tokyo Disneyland's trains are also 12 years newer than WDW's Mk.6s.

michael guinn

i was there last week and noticed the same thing. as i was taking a buss to MK I noticed they were putting in what looked wires next to the entire monerail line. I asked a CM what they were doing? his response was that they were updating the whole system. my guess is that they are getting new trains which is great but no excuse for the current conditions for the current trains.

hpyhnt 1000

Tokyo Disney monorail:

2005%2008%2002%20Inside%20Tokyo%20Disneyland%20Monorail.JPG

gallery003.jpg

Disney World used to look like that. The 'Disney' in the name didn't denote cartoon franchises, but a place where everything was spotless, freshly painted, friendly and reassuring.
While I understand that in 2013 East Asia is First World and America is Third World, UNI still manages to have spotless transportation systems. Shiny and clean:

dscn5277.jpg

Heck, even this looks better than WDW's monorails. A 2000 series Metro car from DC that went into service in 1982. Its 10 years older yet looks 10x better than Monorail Black does right now.
WMATA_Breda_2075_interior.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
i was there last week and noticed the same thing. as i was taking a buss to MK I noticed they were putting in what looked wires next to the entire monerail line. I asked a CM what they were doing? his response was that they were updating the whole system. my guess is that they are getting new trains which is great but no excuse for the current conditions for the current trains.
No new trains unfortunately. The work is just for http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/automated-monorail-system-update.876411/

ExtinctJenn

Proof that even a "Pixie Dust Snorter" like me is willing to recognize the bad... this is just horrific. We noticed on our last trip that there was some issues... mostly things like the molding or seat issues. We attributed it to the fact that ultimately some guests just don't give a crap and will tear stuff apart that doesn't belong to them just for the fun of it. These pictures highlight way more than guest neglect though for sure.

It does seem it's been quite a while since we saw some monorail refurbishment and/or new monorail outside of the new one they put together from the two unbroken halves left after the horrible accident in 2009 (and even then I'm not sure they did much inside did they?).

Now that said... this is coming off of the busiest time of year and coming into the next busiest time of year. I'd think to really do a good fix/clean they'd have to take a monorail off the line for at least a day to do that. Maybe they simply can't now and once we get into January and have a few months of relative down time they'll get on it? Here's hoping!

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
Proof that even a "Pixie Dust Snorter" like me is willing to recognize the bad... this is just horrific. We noticed on our last trip that there was some issues... mostly things like the molding or seat issues. We attributed it to the fact that ultimately some guests just don't give a crap and will tear stuff apart that doesn't belong to them just for the fun of it. These pictures highlight way more than guest neglect though for sure.

It does seem it's been quite a while since we saw some monorail refurbishment and/or new monorail outside of the new one they put together from the two unbroken halves left after the horrible accident in 2009 (and even then I'm not sure they did much inside did they?).

Now that said... this is coming off of the busiest time of year and coming into the next busiest time of year. I'd think to really do a good fix/clean they'd have to take a monorail off the line for at least a day to do that. Maybe they simply can't now and once we get into January and have a few months of relative down time they'll get on it? Here's hoping!
It is not a case of not having time. At least 3 monorails have gone down for weeks to have a movie wrap installed. If there was an interest in updating or even cleaning the interiors it could have been done then.

hpyhnt 1000

I think it's safe to say all of the Disney Monorails look different from one another.

Disneyland's Monorail, specifically at night:

View attachment 39269

WDW should get new Monorails

At the very least, its clear they need a complete interior overhaul. New seats, new panels, rip out the carpet, install new A/C. Could be done for a fraction of the cost of brand new trains but would do wonders to improve the system.

But no. Instead, the choice was made to let the mold grow!

ExtinctJenn

It is not a case of not having time. At least 3 monorails have gone down for weeks to have a movie wrap installed. If there was an interest in updating or even cleaning the interiors it could have been done then.
Right but were those taken down during some of the busiest times of the year? I honestly don't remember. That said though, I didn't say it was about them not "having time" to do it but rather not being able to pull a monorail from the line due to guest attendance numbers. If attendance is maxed out I can see them thinking now is not a good time to reduce the number of transportation vehicles they have. Just a hunch.

omurice

Any guesses as to how much it would cost to recarpet and retrim a monorail car?
I'm curious too. Guessing over 25K per car to re-fit, given the trim, seats, windows, lighting, everything is custom, since these are fully custom vehicles - but 25K is a guess, and I have zero idea of the actual cost. The capital depreciation on the monorail year on year has to be staggering, which may partly explain the dozens of new bus stops they're building in front of MK. Some of those stops could be designated for TTC to cut down on monorail operation further. Drive forward to the future - in a bus?

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
Right but were those taken down during some of the busiest times of the year? I honestly don't remember. That said though, I didn't say it was about them not "having time" to do it but rather not being able to pull a monorail from the line due to guest attendance numbers. If attendance is maxed out I can see them thinking now is not a good time to reduce the number of transportation vehicles they have. Just a hunch.
Sadly this condition has not just occurred recently. They have been in this state for years now. The damage you see is from long term neglect and basically no interior maintenance or deep cleaning. 3 monorails have been through long downtimes during this time, and if there was any desire to fix the issues, it could have been done then. It is not the fact that the damage has just occurred and they need to wait for a quiet period.

MickeyPeace

Does anyone else remember 2 and a half years ago, when they cut monorail hours for MK and Epcot EMH? People said it would be worth it so the monorails could receive extra 'maintenance', despite the inconvenience that it would cause for guests at WDW's iconic (and expensive) monorail resorts.

I guess it was just another cost-cutting measure after all. What a shame...

I'm surprised no one is talking about this. When TDO drastically and permanently cut monorail operating hours people were upset. Then the reasoning started that maintenance was the reason why. Obviously not.
As u said, it was purely cost cutting. And that is shameful.

ExtinctJenn

Sadly this condition has not just occurred recently. They have been in this state for years now. The damage you see is from long term neglect and basically no interior maintenance or deep cleaning. 3 monorails have been through long downtimes during this time, and if there was any desire to fix the issues, it could have been done then. It is not the fact that the damage has just occurred and they need to wait for a quiet period.
Well as I said earlier, on our last trip (this past March) I don't remember them looking near this bad. I noticed minor things but not this sad state. As such I assumed it was the result of a long hot, humid, guest packed summer/fall. :)

Communicore

Correct. This is a major problem throughout the monorail system, and managers are perfectly happy to let monorails go out each morning in this condition. As it stands right now, I do not think any of the monorails are in show condition. It is shockingly embarrassing. Perhaps the only thing saving them right now is that they are usually so overload with guests that you cannot see just how bad things are.
As long as people continue to ride them, and people pay for the admission to the parks, it's all good!!

COProgressFan

This is exactly correct. This is certainly not "waiting out the busy times" or a poor overnight cleaning or two. As another poster mentioned this is a willful ignorance of the problem and a lack of desire to fix it. They simply do not care.

I'm glad this thread was started. I know I have mentioned the sad state of the monorails in posts of mine, but these pictures speak volumes. It's disgusting and anyone who thinks this is "show ready" is out of their mind. It certainly doesn't engender thoughts that the monorails are safe or properly maintained when the insides are in such poor condition.

Did Bob Iger ride these trains when he was in town last week on his magical journey to the MK to try out a MagicBand? The poor state of the monorails is a perfect example of how WDW is run today. If NYC subways are in better shape, then we have a real problem here.

Rambler

Last ride on monorail was in March. I thought then the car was not as clean, and more worn as I had experienced before. Hot day and A/C not working well. Did not ride this October when there last. Worries me this is what we will experience in the future.

Have been visiting yearly since 1997 and last couple visits have seen the lack of quality of maintenance generally... includes the monorail that I always considered a different "people mover" from MK to Epcot like TTA and admired the quality of how WDW kept the grounds along the monorail path. It was an experience and not just transportation. I hope the boat ride from The Studios to Epcot that I also consider an experience rather than just transportation has remained clean...missed it also in October, but was fine in March.

Have not given up yet, plan another visit next fall for F and W and MNSSHP... plan to see what another year brings besides mine train, Downtown, and new Morrocan dining in Epcot... especially quality of experience.

Figment2005

Another thing is the fact that other than seat covers there are no spare parts. If they wanted to retrim interior they would basically have to start from scratch. That is neither cheap or quick.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom