Appalling state of the monorail cabins

voodoo321

I didn't see it mentioned here, yet I have heard it and experience it everytime I ride the monorail. "What is up with the cow manure smell in there?". I don't experience that smell anywhere else in WDW or elsewhere unless I'm standing in a barn, yet it is consistent in any of the monorail cars I ride in.

COProgressFan

Another thing is the fact that other than seat covers there are no spare parts. If they wanted to retrim interior they would basically have to start from scratch. That is neither cheap or quick.

Well, are you suggesting that the company never figured it would have to do maintenance to 25 year old trains?

The "its just so hard to clean and maintain things" excuse is weak.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
I didn't see it mentioned here, yet I have heard it and experience it everytime I ride the monorail. "What is up with the cow manure smell in there?". I don't experience that smell anywhere else in WDW or elsewhere unless I'm standing in a barn, yet it is consistent in any of the monorail cars I ride in.
That would be a mixture of mold, sweat, water and grime.

WDWFanDave

It is appalling.

I know they've let so much go for so long that it's darn near impossible to fix it all at once. But, the mold we encountered on the monorails and on the water based rides (Maelstrom, Living with the Land, IASW, etc) really played terrible havoc with allergies in my family.
We also encountered trash each time we rode the monorail...disappointing on so many levels...that anyone would drop their trash, and that there doesn't appear to be any CM checking during the stops. One time, looked like a bag of cheese popcorn blew up.

pmaljr

Terrible! Last week, we also noticed the areas around the door poles being cracked on our visit as well but we only rode at night and we couldn't see the mold. Maybe TDO would get the hint and something would actually get done if we got some Comet mold remover, someone to videotape one of us cleaning the monorail along the ceiling of the mold for Disney, and then we posted that video all over the web saying that we were "showing our disney side" ...

ABQ

Terrible! Last week, we also noticed the areas around the door poles being cracked on our visit as well but we only rode at night and we couldn't see the mold. Maybe TDO would get the hint and something would actually get done if we got some Comet mold remover, someone to videotape one of us cleaning the monorail along the ceiling of the mold for Disney, and then we posted that video all over the web saying that we were "showing our disney side" ...

Ha! Awesome idea.

PhilharMagician

I'm surprised no one is talking about this. When TDO drastically and permanently cut monorail operating hours people were upset. Then the reasoning started that maintenance was the reason why. Obviously not.
As u said, it was purely cost cutting. And that is shameful.

Yeah, but look at the stock value today compared to 2 1/2 years ago. Iger is doing what a typical corporate CEO should be doing, but unfortunately he works for The Walt Disney Corporation and that is not what has made Disney parks flourish for the past 50+ years. :banghead:

What is even worse is that all the lackies under him have now all adopted this thinking and I do not see any good in the near future. It will take a massive falling off of attendance and profits to justify change and that could possibly spell a sale and separation of the parks from TWDC. This festering wound needs help right now!!

Time for another Save Disney campaign? :rolleyes:

Prince-1

Uh oh, I can see the posts coming that will say all people do on here is complain, complain, complain!!! Why do we go if all we do is moan about little things. And I agree that nitpicking a light being out or a small stain that may have been caused that day is petty BUT the pictures the OP posted go beyond that. This shows a problem that has occurred for many a months with little attention from Disney. I am not expecting perfection (and yes the prices they charge we should expect it) but this shows a lack of caring and willingness to spend money for the upkeep of something that is used and seen by millions of people.

alphac2005

I remember vividly as a child going to Riverside Park (now Six Flags New England) in MA and they had a prior generation monorail that was purchased from Disney, Disneyland to be precise. The monorail was filthy inside and out. Worn out and simply disgusting. I remember always thinking how they were pristine and amazing in FL and CA. Those pictures aren't much of anything different than what a low grade theme park was doing in the 80's and what I considered to be gross.

PhotoDave219

This may not be news to some, but may be for others - it needs highlighting. The monorail interiors are in a shocking condition.

I didn't go looking for this, just happened to be in a single car with no passengers, and just took a moment to realize just how bad things have become. These photos were taken yesterday on Monorail Black, but the problems can be found on all monorails and in some cases they are a lot worse than these photos.

Just how far is WDW prepared to let the condition go? I routinely go on subway trains in NYC that are in a far better condition than this, and let us not forget, these are the monorails transporting guests from those $2000 per night rooms in the new Grand Floridian Villas.

This is what the guests do.

On one hand, we need new trains. They're 20 years old.

On the other hand, this is how the guests treat things. Why should we drop a billion on new trains when this is how they treat them?

PhotoDave219

I'll tell you what that is and that is a lack of care and laziness pure BS. They either need to fix these problems or get some new monorails. (Which we can predict wont happen anytime soon) I would be ashamed to allow money paying guest to ride in such conditions. I truly did not realize how bad the lack of maintenance was on the Walt Disney World monorail system. :mad::(

I'm ashamed that money paying guests treat things and cause damage that way.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
This is what the guests do.

On one hand, we need new trains. They're 20 years old.

On the other hand, this is how the guests treat things. Why should we drop a billion on new trains when this is how they treat them?
I would argue this is not guest damage. Most of it is water damage caused by condensing water from the overhead AC units. The fabrics are simply saturated with water, and over the many years have just rotted.

The best way to keep things pristine and to avoid vandalism is to repair everything quickly and keep it perfect. That is how it has always been done at Disney. Once you allow things to fall into disrepair it breeds a lack of disrespect.

If Disney are capable of keeping other much higher traffic areas pristine, they can do so with the monorails. Unfortunately the monorail is the red headed step-child of Walt Disney World.

alphac2005

I'm ashamed that money paying guests treat things and cause damage that way.

Dave, you're right that a lot of things are on the guests, but what isn't are the things like the rust and chipped paint from wear that is on the interiors that I've seen in person. There is no doubt that people are rather disgusting compared to the past with a lack of decorum, but it's hard to honestly tell how much worse than in the past because Disney did such a outstanding job of cleaning and maintaining everything on a daily basis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom