Appalling state of the monorail cabins

ULPO46

They do not just need a whole new fleet, they need to repair the whole system asap. Look these things are long overdue for a replacement but the hard fact is they won't be replaced anytime soon. There needs to be something done soon, there are few if any off days anymore and lets face it no one likes being packed liked sardines. I've seen parents try to shove 5 strollers into already crowded cars during peak rushes and cast members trying to shove more in while the ferry is the same situation. Simply put it always has been a hassle during opening and closing but nothing will be done anytime soon to address the issues at hand. The monorails are old, no amount of updates, painting, or refurbs can hide the fact that these things are approaching 30 years of age. Mark IV was replaced just after 20 years of service. Why management doesn't believe new trains are needed baffles me a bit. It needs upgrading soon hopefully before the 50th with a capacity to hold at least another 100-200 passengers.

Goofyernmost

Ask @Goofyernmost , he will tell you they smell like a spring day in the woods and are immaculate but every other soul on these boards will tell the truth that they stink, have stains and wear and seem to be the same as an inner city bus but he sees none of this. Remember he used to drive a bus
What I will tell you is that they smell the same now as they did in the 80's. It is the same odor that I have noticed since I first started going. I don't know what it is, but, I am certain that no one is peeing in the corners (there really aren't any corners) and that carrying that many smelly, unwashed public around day after day, will create an unidentifiable odor. Since it was there when they were basically new, I think that it has to do with the cleaning and disinfecting chemical that they use. I do not hold any validity to a random picture of a single car in a single train that might possibly have been damaged just before the lover of finding fault boarded. I don't know, and I don't care, I will still ride on them because I like them and I also know how things fall apart when they get older. (first hand experience) Would it be nice if they bought a whole new fleet of trains? Sure would, however, the bigger the hassle this whole Monorail worship gets to the sooner that this will also be in the archives of what used to be at WDW.

If they bother you that much just don't ride on them. They are a secondary attraction anyway, their real purpose is to transport people not to make you get your jollies from the pleasure of the experience.

MerlinTheGoat

I don't know if it was a joke or not, but no the entire state of Florida doesn't smell like the monorails. Nor have the monorails always smelled bad, even in the 90s they smelled perfectly clean. I've lived in FL for 7 years now, and the only consistently bad natural smells are generally concentrated around the coast (even there odor varies greatly depending on the tide, storms and whether an algae bloom is present). Or when an irrigation system using untreated groundwater is in use. FL well water smells strongly of sulfur, but the odor doesn't linger for long after the irrigation turns off.

If the entire state smelled like the monorails, no one would even notice the smell inside the cabins. In addition, some of the monorails smell relatively fine. They also aren't the same bad smells associated with the ocean or groundwater. More like heavy mildew or dirty socks, occasionally feces or urine. The problem is consistent with a dirty neglected A/C system. The A/C lines need to be flushed occasionally, with cleaning solution if necessary, and the filters changed when needed. It would be a relatively easy thing to keep under control if proper maintenance was followed as it was 20+ years ago. But given the also visibly poor physical state of the cabin interiors, it is clear that they are not being maintained anywhere close to the way they used to be.

Last edited:

Cameron1529

This may not be news to some, but may be for others - it needs highlighting. The monorail interiors are in a shocking condition.

I didn't go looking for this, just happened to be in a single car with no passengers, and just took a moment to realize just how bad things have become. These photos were taken yesterday on Monorail Black, but the problems can be found on all monorails and in some cases they are a lot worse than these photos.

Just how far is WDW prepared to let the condition go? I routinely go on subway trains in NYC that are in a far better condition than this, and let us not forget, these are the monorails transporting guests from those $2000 per night rooms in the new Grand Floridian Villas.

Stains on nearly every surface
View attachment 39227
Damaged seats, rips and stains
View attachment 39228
Missing trim on door panels
View attachment 39229
Damaged trim, non existant paint
View attachment 39230
Mold and stains on seats
View attachment 39231
Stains on doors
View attachment 39232
Cracked and broken trim
View attachment 39233
Mold growing on the roof panels
View attachment 39234
Mold and grime on the roof
View attachment 39235 View attachment 39236

They are in need of a serious refurb, I have seen various picture of decaying monorail tracks as well. I suppose Disney may not see this as a necessity at the present to update them. Considering, they aren't the primary revenue driver

Cameron1529

They do not just need a whole new fleet, they need to repair the whole system asap. Look these things are long overdue for a replacement but the hard fact is they won't be replaced anytime soon. There needs to be something done soon, there are few if any off days anymore and lets face it no one likes being packed liked sardines. I've seen parents try to shove 5 strollers into already crowded cars during peak rushes and cast members trying to shove more in while the ferry is the same situation. Simply put it always has been a hassle during opening and closing but nothing will be done anytime soon to address the issues at hand. The monorails are old, no amount of updates, painting, or refurbs can hide the fact that these things are approaching 30 years of age. Mark IV was replaced just after 20 years of service. Why management doesn't believe new trains are needed baffles me a bit. It needs upgrading soon hopefully before the 50th with a capacity to hold at least another 100-200 passengers.

I do agree 100% they need upgrading. However I don't know if Disney see this as a high level priority. They are not the primary revenue driver and rather they are not necessarily utilised by a lot of guests entering into the Disney park. Hence the reason for Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land etc..

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If they'd change out the carpet for hard surfaces it would go quite a ways. Guests are different than when it opened in the 70's. Now they don't think twice about ignoring any rules.. That's For The others.

mousekedoc

What I will tell you is that they smell the same now as they did in the 80's. It is the same odor that I have noticed since I first started going. I don't know what it is, but, I am certain that no one is peeing in the corners (there really aren't any corners) and that carrying that many smelly, unwashed public around day after day, will create an unidentifiable odor. Since it was there when they were basically new, I think that it has to do with the cleaning and disinfecting chemical that they use. I do not hold any validity to a random picture of a single car in a single train that might possibly have been damaged just before the lover of finding fault boarded. I don't know, and I don't care, I will still ride on them because I like them and I also know how things fall apart when they get older. (first hand experience) Would it be nice if they bought a whole new fleet of trains? Sure would, however, the bigger the hassle this whole Monorail worship gets to the sooner that this will also be in the archives of what used to be at WDW.

If they bother you that much just don't ride on them. They are a secondary attraction anyway, their real purpose is to transport people not to make you get your jollies from the pleasure of the experience.

Thank you! I have been to WDW at least twice yearly for the past 10 years. Sometimes the cabins are a slight piquant, sometimes no. A lot, I think, has to do with the disinfectant: the non bleach/ammonia product used in a lot of hospitals smells that way. I believe many forget just how many humans are transported daily in those cabins. I can assure you that humans are walking Petri dishes of disease and despite this reality, I find the monorails a pleasant alternate transportation means.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom